PDA

View Full Version : re-using water pumps

jimbob-mcgrew
31-12-09, 01:26 AM
anyone know if its possible to get hold of just the rubber seal ring to re-use pumps ?

and also whats that paste thats used as a seal, red in colour ? could do with some of that too.

cheers :thumb:

jimbob-mcgrew
31-12-09, 01:29 AM

daverobson
31-12-09, 02:32 AM
what engine is it on, water pumps arnt that much, so if you caqn get one do it.

AlexW
31-12-09, 03:10 AM
Seal can be bought. I filled mine with sealent ****.

As long as its not old of course. Snap/slip a cambelt on anything but a 1.2 and bye bye engine preety much.

jimbob-mcgrew
31-12-09, 04:29 AM
tis a 12ST, i have a used pump with minimal wear and metal fins from another 12ST that i wanna use, but the seals no good. sealent **** eh alex lol

Guderian
31-12-09, 08:31 AM
I did reuse a water pump once and got away with it,, seems false economy though as the stuffing box (ie the coolant seal) can go brittle in storage and start to weep once used. Stuffing box lets coolant into the bearing... you know the rest!

jimbob-mcgrew
31-12-09, 08:45 AM
hmmm, might be best off with a fresh one in that case, even as skint as i am.

cam belts gotta be done tho and the pumps on its way out, ill look into the costs at my local factors.

really needs a set of plugs.. and a rotor arm and dizzy cap.... and an air filter.. and a fuel filter too.. ppftt

Guderian
31-12-09, 01:07 PM
...And if it's one of the engines where the cambelt has to come off to access the thermostat, you may as well renew that as well!

I assume the red paste you are referring to is Red hermetite, i use it to make sure water hoses seal onto their spouts properly, it also can be used as a gap filler where the 'stat doesn't quite sit nicely on the alloy face due to corrosion. Good stuff. Motor factors or farming supplies. Or halfrauds.

Novasport
01-01-10, 11:40 PM
Water pump tensions the cambelt on a 12ST. For the cost you may aswell replace the belt & the pump.