PDA

View Full Version : wetness

jakeufton
31-12-09, 12:05 AM
may sound a bit weird but when i got to my car when its raining the rear seat belts are always soaking wet [coming from where it reels in] and theres no leaks on my car or in the boot .....any ideas?

Spudly
31-12-09, 12:20 AM
Sounds like your inner arches are very rotten/holed and as you drive water splashes up inside and soaks the seatbelt reel as it sits inside the panel in the gap above the inner arch!

brainsnova
31-12-09, 12:23 AM
i had that if i parked the car half on the kerb with the passenger wheels up and drivers arch was fooked so as spudly says.

Nova-rich
31-12-09, 12:34 AM
Yep yep, My mk2 wasnt what you'd call a rot-box but both sides had gone, if i hadnt of stripped it out i would never of known about it. Remove the rear seats and quater cards and you'll be looking at the back wheels from inside the car! lol.

Pistol Pete
31-12-09, 09:19 AM
Think Spud has it nailed. Get your rear door cards off and have a looksie. Then learn to weld and get fixing. Or find someone who can do it for you. All Nova owners should learn to weld. Its a must!!

Where are you?

NovaBoi92
31-12-09, 09:35 AM
like this?
http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp86/NovaBoi92/DSC00225-1.jpg

bmw156
31-12-09, 09:43 AM
he says from where it reels in. surly that means at the top?

puss puss
31-12-09, 09:55 AM
any holes in the arch could make the flicking up water by the tyre come in (if that makes sense)

strip the doorcards off get some sheet metal n start welding. If u strip it off and cant see anything get your trusty screw driver and just give it a good poke to just to make sure :)

OffTopic: Bmw you got a txt!

jakeufton
31-12-09, 10:02 AM
im in uttoxeter in staffordshire and i have had a look this morning[its been stressing me all night lol] and i could not find anything at all :( ill have a proper look later and check what you guys have said. thanks btw

blue_peg_16v
31-12-09, 10:34 AM
boot seal?

jakeufton
31-12-09, 10:40 AM
oh there is one thing that i may add. my rear washer does not work. i can hear the motor trying when i put my rear wiper on but no water comes out. only suggesting that the pipe has split some where and it is leaking on the belts? but its both seat belts that get wet not just one:(

puss puss
31-12-09, 05:02 PM
oh there is one thing that i may add. my rear washer does not work. i can hear the motor trying when i put my rear wiper on but no water comes out. only suggesting that the pipe has split some where and it is leaking on the belts? but its both seat belts that get wet not just one:(

Sounds like you answered your on question there :eek:

thats the 1st thing i would check out on my list and also pop the door cards off + the "boot cards" Where the standard speakers go. So you can see the whole arch to check for any nasty holes/dampness lol.

brainsnova
31-12-09, 05:09 PM
the foam padding under the seat belt reel at the bottom of the arch absorbs the water like a sponge and rear washer will be split at the boot grommit where the wiring etc goes into the bot.

puss puss
31-12-09, 08:28 PM
the foam padding under the seat belt reel at the bottom of the arch absorbs the water like a sponge and rear washer will be split at the boot grommit where the wiring etc goes into the bot.

Sorry to rob the thread again but is this foam needed? ive removed it from my track wannab nova it was full of water just like you said? I take it its there for a reason because it does have GM stamped on it?

It also could of popped off somewhere when the washer jet gets crud init? Happened a few time to customers at work, including my mondeo at the pump (common as hell)

:thumb:

brainsnova
31-12-09, 08:32 PM
i think it might of been a sound proof thing as i binned mine or they knew it was going to leak lol. fords are different as vaux rarely leak at the pump.

puss puss
31-12-09, 08:42 PM
i think it might of been a sound proof thing as i binned mine or they knew it was going to leak lol. fords are different as vaux rarely leak at the pump.

*lighting bolt strikes* I wasn't in anyway saying fords are the same as vaux lol well apart from breaking i suppose.

Quite a few cars have the rubber pipes that plug into another rubber pipe with no cable tie or anything if the end gets blocked it could blow off one of these then leak out somewhere

I had a (another ford hmmm seems like a virous circle lol (sp) ) ford mondeo at work and it was leaking from the drivers side rear turns out after i pulled the trim off a bit i could see the pipe had popped off the other bit.

Ontopic

I would take off both drivers and passanger side rear cards including the boot cards (where the rear standard speakers go) have a very good look including a bit of a poke from mr screw driver to check for rust. If all is good then a spilt or popped off like i said. Then its a case of finding out where lol :thumb:

jakeufton
01-01-10, 12:53 PM
thanks for the tips guysi know 100% that it isnt rot i checked the whole car over i the summer. or are nova really that rust prone??lol