PDA

View Full Version : Not a happy SR...

ade
29-12-09, 11:11 PM
My SR's not happy. I'm thinking its because of the cold and that I probably need a new fuel tank however see if anyone else has any ideas...

Re the fuel tank - it started to leak out the filler neck so I put a small rag at the top to catch fuel which stops the leaking out the filler neck but car started to play up from then on...

Car is manual choke running weber 32/34 with ram air filter. Car is a little jittery when cold and takes a while to warm up - likes to cut out when slowing down at traffic lights roundabouts etc - so I pull the choke out a bit more and it seems to recover.

However when temp gauge is "normal", choke in and driving along (variable speeds) it starts to judder and sounds like its misfiring. usually after about 15 mins of driving. It then starts to misfire badly and then dies altogether - its almost like theres no fuel getting through. I pull over, leave it a while, turn it over again - give it a good rev and after a few misfires it seems to clear what ever prob is. But its still not happy.

I thought it might be an air intake issue but theres no leaks in the manifold so I thought perhaps it could be too much air from the filter so in a bid to "bodge" something I cut the "nose" off an old bin lid filter and fitted it to the front of the air filter allowing warm air to feed to the carb. Also after advice restricted the air flow from the filter. I've changed dizzy cap and rotor arm which looked a little worn but still having issues. Theres no sludge and water isnt dropping (I know head isnt the issue). Its also not overheating and oil is fine.

I'm also going through fuel at a serious rate of knots - so far used 1/2 a tank and gone less that 120 miles! Its a 1.3!

I'm thinking theres debris in my tank thats somehow blocking the carbs jets or poor fuel flow - or too much fuel and its flooding - its just odd that it only really happens when the cars warm.

It has only just started doing it in the last month - when the temperature dropped and wondered if anyone had any ideas...

Ive ordered a new fuel tank anyway...

novacabrio
29-12-09, 11:16 PM
Crap in the fuel is possible blocking the carb jets, try a universal inline filter when you fit the new tank as well

bazil
29-12-09, 11:19 PM
my old 1.3sr had a k+n on it in the summer but hated the winter with it on, the carb kept icing up so i used to put the pan standard jobby on it, it took warm air from the exhaust manifold via the heat shield, this always kept it going during the cold weather, even in 95 when the temp was -25!!

burgo
30-12-09, 01:31 AM
I'm also going through fuel at a serious rate of knots - so far used 1/2 a tank and gone less that 120 miles! Its a 1.3!

mine only does 250 to a tank so i wouldnt worry to much.

id surgest replacing the fuel lines in the engine bay, it made a world of difference to mine as mine were perished

and also hazard a guess and carb icing, lob the standard filter back on and see if its any better

Welsh Dan
30-12-09, 01:40 AM
When the carb was fitted was it setup properly?

Rysee
30-12-09, 01:53 AM
I have similar problems with my 1ltr and they have started recently. I cut out on a roundabout seamingly for no reason this morning

i get 120 to half a tank on a run less for short trips

Bubba
30-12-09, 02:02 AM
yea i get about 50miles to a tenner if i take it easy, my tank is cracked on the top as well i think, it leaks when its over 3/4 full

mowgli
30-12-09, 07:26 AM
the choke cable might be in need of adjusting.

get a warm air kit (bit of pipe) or stick the frying pan on for the rest of the winter

the filler neck is not part of the tank, and sounds like its rotted thru so get it checked out.

krobinson
30-12-09, 07:57 AM
My 1.4 was dieing at lights and misfireing. Changed the plugs, dizzy and roter arm and it's driving like a dream again. That may be worth a try?

Will F
30-12-09, 08:38 AM
Does sound like the carb is freezing up - get some warm air to it, or better still get an original filter back on there....

Can you see where the fuel is leaking from? Could be blocked breather thats causing it to come from teh filler neck...

ade
30-12-09, 08:46 AM
the filter is all foam and Ive restricted the intake so only a limimted amount of air can get in - via the off cut section from the bin lid - which acts as a warm air feed.

I cant fit the original bin lid because the adapter plate for the weber doesnt match - the bin lid rear mounting bolt fouls the rear intake on the carb and its about 2" too far forward so wont line up with the heat shield.

Carb was fitted properly and has been set up correctly - was running fine until a few months ago.

The more I think about it the more I feel it's the tank. could the rag in the top build up unnecessary pressure?

Will F
30-12-09, 01:09 PM
the filter is all foam and Ive restricted the intake so only a limimted amount of air can get in - via the off cut section from the bin lid - which acts as a warm air feed.

I cant fit the original bin lid because the adapter plate for the weber doesnt match - the bin lid rear mounting bolt fouls the rear intake on the carb and its about 2" too far forward so wont line up with the heat shield.

Carb was fitted properly and has been set up correctly - was running fine until a few months ago.

The more I think about it the more I feel it's the tank. could the rag in the top build up unnecessary pressure?

Try taking the filler cap off - if its like a cork on a champagne bottle, there is excess pressure! ;)

craig green
30-12-09, 01:23 PM
Aye, I was going to say if the filler neck is blocked by the ball-in-claw thing at the base, it might be adding pressure, likewise carb icing is an issue this time of year, but you can't fit the std airbox to a Weber as Ade says.

Have you had the tank off at all Ade?

daverobson
30-12-09, 02:59 PM
mine was had these problems, leads was getting wet and causing them to arc out. changed them and are much better now. but likely to be the other problems aswell. just try one see if it helps

bmw156
30-12-09, 03:23 PM
i have been running my 1.2 carb everyday through the cold weather and have no carb icing issues. or any issues.

my overflow pipe is split so when i fill up completely it spills out but it doesnt bother me lol.

i reckon its just a combination oif the cold harsh weather and the air filter you have on.

xe Dan
30-12-09, 03:34 PM
i had a k&n filter on mine till a few weeks ago due to carb freeze it would start missin a little till it got to a point where it would not even pull itself along i would pull over sit there with it reving at 3k then it would clear i would go then after a while it would do it again.so now put the standard bin lid on and not a problem since

AlexW
30-12-09, 06:36 PM
Had same prob on a mates car, we thought about making some kind of duct around the whole filter so it only picks up a bit of the cold air and most of it from the exhaust heat shield, but never done anymore and just stuck on the binlid.

ade
10-01-10, 09:04 AM
will yesaterday I managed to find the adapter plate for the weber 32/34 so tried to bolt on the old bin lid - which wouldnt fit as the rear bolt fouls ont he rear choke plate.

So got the hack saw out and cut the bin lids rear bolt plastic lud off and although the lid's only held on with 2 bolts the bonnet keeps it firmly in place and the SR now runs SWEEEEET!

especially as I managed to get my brakes working again (see other brakes hissing thread)....

burgo
10-01-10, 05:29 PM
will yesaterday I managed to find the adapter plate for the weber 32/34 so tried to bolt on the old bin lid - which wouldnt fit as the rear bolt fouls ont he rear choke plate.

So got the hack saw out and cut the bin lids rear bolt plastic lud off and although the lid's only held on with 2 bolts the bonnet keeps it firmly in place and the SR now runs SWEEEEET!

especially as I managed to get my brakes working again (see other brakes hissing thread)....good good :) when the weather gets above freezing you'll be able to go back to your filter

ade
12-01-10, 10:09 AM
not sure if I will - was advised that the old filter is part of the reason my fuel consumption is so high. Might leave it as is and see how it goes...