PDA

View Full Version : Corsa c12nz engine problem

Nobby
29-12-09, 07:19 PM
Right my brother has bought this bloody corsa, now all seemed fine for the first few days and then it started cutting out, and then eventually wouldnt start, called AA he had run out of fuel! So he had done between 40-50miles on £10. The aa belived it was overfueling so he took it to a garage who did a diagnostic check and have told him that the fan is bodged on too keep the engine temp down as it has a overheating problem. They then said that this is causing the engine to think the running temp is 18degrees and overfueling the engine ie keeping the choke on? Anyone ever came across this i can see there point. Do you think it best to just buy a new temp sensor try it? as that may be funked and not putting the fan on? the lad who he bought it off is a bit of a bodger to be honest opinions welcome!:thumb:

comptoncj
29-12-09, 07:23 PM
My corsa sport had a similar problem when i put a split pin in the fan switch to keep the fan working, couldnt you rig up a switch to the fan so it comes on when it should? Try a sensor in it as its a common problem on them, it shouldnt think its only runnning at 18degrees lol

Nobby
29-12-09, 07:39 PM
well im going to try a switch tommorow mate and hopefully will sort it

comptoncj
29-12-09, 07:41 PM
well yeah try a fan switch and a coolant temp sensor mate.

Damo
29-12-09, 09:59 PM
replacing the fan switch could uncover more problems like headgasket faliure and why its been rigged up that way in the first place bud.

Nobby
29-12-09, 10:48 PM
replacing the fan switch could uncover more problems like headgasket faliure and why its been rigged up that way in the first place bud.
well this is it mate im hoping thats not the case but who knows but ive got to find out lol

Morton
30-12-09, 12:37 AM
so the fan is running the hole time ??check oil and water for milkey residue. as the garage said the fan must be constantly on telling the car the surrounding air is colder therefore more dense so it has more oxygen so the car pupms more feul in .fix the fan should solve the problem if it doesn check the headgasket water pump etc etc

Nobby
30-12-09, 10:29 AM
so the fan is running the hole time ??check oil and water for milkey residue. as the garage said the fan must be constantly on telling the car the surrounding air is colder therefore more dense so it has more oxygen so the car pupms more feul in .fix the fan should solve the problem if it doesn check the headgasket water pump etc etc

yeah mate this is the theory we have going to try a new switch today and see what happens thanks for the help!

AlexW
30-12-09, 01:23 PM
If the fan is keeping the water cooler the cts will read it at being colder and just dump fuel in like when you first start it.

You might find that it has HG issues or even that pipes pop off.

craig green
30-12-09, 01:25 PM
I can't see a bodged fan switch keeping a car with a blown HG going.
Change the CTS sensor & give all the usual suspects (plugs, rotor, cap etc) the once over inspection. Make sure you have a spark.

Will F
30-12-09, 01:30 PM
Just disconnect the fan fuse and see how quick it heats up - as Craig said, if it was hg problem the fan would just slow down the overheating process slightly...

On corsas, the fan switches are an absolute ass to change as they break off and drop into the rad - probably why they opted to just link the wires together!

Nobby
30-12-09, 06:38 PM
cheers guys i had a look today changed the sensor in the inlet manifold and went to change the fan switch and the funking thing is just spining! going to have to remove the rad i think and have a blast at it, there is some sludge nocking about but i cant see it having a service or oil change in a while. its just **** on start up from cold when running its great! starts 1st time no hassle!

Will F
30-12-09, 10:59 PM
cheers guys i had a look today changed the sensor in the inlet manifold and went to change the fan switch and the funking thing is just spining! going to have to remove the rad i think and have a blast at it, there is some sludge nocking about but i cant see it having a service or oil change in a while. its just **** on start up from cold when running its great! starts 1st time no hassle!

Yep - just like I said! they either drop off completely - or the bracket breaks and it spins! :eek:

Nobby
01-01-10, 01:45 PM
well did a comp test 140psi on all 4, changed oil no sludge, so im thing that the fan was pinned becuase they realised it will be a new rad basically as the old one wont come out!