PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!!

Tyke182
29-12-09, 06:05 PM
Hi there ive basically been a dick and ran my vectra 1.8 ls 16v without oil for around 35 miles and now it stutters when idaling and also a faint smell of burining oil it drives ok but as i say its like its gunna cut out on me when idalin any ideas what i might have done guys

Nova-rich
29-12-09, 06:28 PM
Daft as this sounds its nothing to do with the fact that you have ran the car without oil engines are suprisingly robust that way, this is a common problem on the 1.8 ecowreck engines as i have repaired a few with the same problem, its your idle control valve thats K.O'd, it gets progressivly worse until it just dies as soon as you take your foot off the accelerator.(annoying at junctions!) a quick fix is to loosen the throttle cable and put a smidge more tension in it to simulate your foot on the accelerator takes 30 seconds! sorted.

Damo
29-12-09, 09:56 PM
it sounds like the icv like nova-rich said but running it out of oil wouldnt have helped matters but the the engine couild also be tight on the bottom end bearings due to the lack of oil.:eek:

dougie_boi
30-12-09, 11:10 PM
you can usually get away with taking the icv out and cleaning it using wd40 and carb cleaner i done that with my vectra and was still sweet a year later. just spray plenty in it and give it a good shake and empty it out but you will need to do it a good few times to get all the crap out.

AlexW
30-12-09, 11:17 PM
WD40 is ment to break them but dont know lol

Nova-rich
31-12-09, 12:39 AM
Their cheap enough to replace as oppose to trying to fix them, 10 a penny in the scrappers (best place for ecotecs IMO) lol.

jimbob-mcgrew
31-12-09, 01:35 AM
doh ! was it bone dry ?

dougie_boi
01-01-10, 01:42 PM
WD40 is ment to break them but dont know lol
wd40 lubricates them mate and carb cleaner dryes out the seals in them.