PDA

View Full Version : Smoke. Lots of.

mrtim
27-03-03, 07:31 PM
16gsi engine. twin 40s. janspeed 4 branch to full system.

So ive got this problem. There is no real smoke when the car is started and idling, but as soon as you try and drive it loads of smoke comes out the back. I do mean loads. You cant see behind you.

Car doesnt idle quite right either. Seems to hunt up and down a lot. And will stall itself if not watched and blipped.

Big style hesitation on take off as well.
Also might be gunky lookin stuff in exhaust.

Could it be a bust ring or somethin and how do I check??
Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

mrtim.

Aragorn
27-03-03, 07:36 PM
what color smoke?

Euan
27-03-03, 07:46 PM
check oli filler cap, expansion tank for loss of water. is it puffy white smoke.

if so i'd say the head gasket.

Chris LR
27-03-03, 07:48 PM
I'd say so :x

ade
27-03-03, 10:11 PM
my 1.4 did this

either -

head gasket
valve stem oil seals
piston rung

or any combination of the above

mine didnt idle properly either - sort of chugged. Runs sweet now (so far anyway...)

CP
28-03-03, 01:17 PM
It difficult to say - are you getting a lot of white smoke out the engine breather as well?

In any event - stop driving it and get it apart - if it is a ring you will be damaging the bore/s big time

Euan
28-03-03, 04:44 PM
what does it mean if you get lots of white smoke from the breather??

CP
28-03-03, 09:20 PM
It means that the piston rings are gone so bad ( maybe due to cracked piston) that there is no compression in that bore cos all the gases are going down the side and into the crankcase

I think this was the engine that had had a 1.4 head bolted to which would have greatly increased the CR which maybe what has caused this damage - either blown gasket or damaged rings?

Euan
29-03-03, 12:55 PM
i get quite a lot of smoke comin from it. just changed the head gasket and not run the new one in at all. i dont get any blue smoke comin from the exhaust.

mrtim
29-03-03, 09:30 PM
no smoke from the breather pipes. Tho I was runnin a 14 head on it for a while as well if that matters.

Decided today that it must be a ring.
Didnt loose any water. No gunk on filler cap. Smoke only comes if you put strain on the engine.
i.e. Belt it up the road and back.
Head gasket on the car is brand new anyway.

So how much is a set of rings and bearings??
Where is the cheapest to get them from??

Lightening and balancing? Is it worth doing??

cheers
mrtim.