PDA

View Full Version : engine advise

SR-Rally
29-12-09, 10:36 AM
i compete in road rallies at present and i need abit more bhp from my engine to keep up with the big boys as i'm in expert now. the regulations for engine mods are

(a)maximum of 4 cylinders
(b)two carburetter chokes(two single or one double)
(c)one camshaft per bank of cylinders
(d)engines with more then one camshaft per bank of cylinders may be used providing that they were originally fitted with fuel injection and that the fuel injection system complete with plenum chamber and throttle body is retained unmodified. ( i could get away with porting)
(e)forced induction is not permitted.

the parts i have to work with

complete 1.3 sr engine 101,000miles
complete 1.400 sr engine 65,000
complete gsi top end inc mpi system
1.3 group A head with cam and weber down draft carb
lightened and balanced 1.3 crank
lightened and balanced 1.3 flywheel
i also have some pistons that put into 1.3 make . 1400cc and high compression.

any advise appreciated my budget is between £500 and £750ish, i can do all the stripping and building back up so thats a saving. :thumb:

SR-Rally
29-12-09, 02:47 PM
(f) fuel injection may be fitted where it was standard equipment by the manufacturer for that engine type and where the original plenum chamber and throttle body retained for that engine type.

guess that rules out a 1.4 16v ecotec? or say a suzuki 1300 engine as nova were never fitted with 16v

garyc
29-12-09, 03:34 PM
I reckon a custom manifold with twin SU's would do the job nicely.

George g
29-12-09, 05:17 PM
(f) fuel injection may be fitted where it was standard equipment by the manufacturer for that engine type and where the original plenum chamber and throttle body retained for that engine type.

guess that rules out a 1.4 16v ecotec? or say a suzuki 1300 engine as nova were never fitted with 16v

not at all. as long as "the original plenum chamber and throttle body retained for that engine type". So as long as you keep the engine inlet and plenium standard and do not alter the shilloutte(SP) of the car the same then almost any engine can be fitted.

personally i would fit a 1400 16v or build the 1300 up with the uprated parts and then spend the rest on proflex (if you can find them for that) or on a diff/quaife gear set.

whats the spec of the car?:thumb:

George g
29-12-09, 05:18 PM
I reckon a custom manifold with twin SU's would do the job nicely.

only 2 chokes per bank of 4 cylinders unfortunately
(unless its an original sport where you can run twin 40's due to homologation...) :thumb:

garyc
29-12-09, 05:35 PM
That is 2 chokes, hence why I suggested it.

SR-Rally
29-12-09, 05:39 PM
The car is on billies and handles spot on so don't want to change them, bias box, disk rear axel, willwood front brakes, pollybushed, zf LSD recomended by harry hockley, only thing we lak is power as old engine went bang :( so I could technicly put 1300 swift engine in with standard injection systym? Not sure what route to take, either get as much power from vaux 8v or stick in a 16v engine. Engine cc has to be under 1400 though :)

bmw156
29-12-09, 05:41 PM
what do the big boys use?

whats the saying, if you cant beat them, join them:)

mowgli
29-12-09, 06:08 PM
build up the 1300 with a rebore for the 1200 pistons, stick the gr.A head on it & either try to hunt out a corsa sprint injection system..... or try hard with the weber. that would give 110+hp as a guess

maybe building it up in the guise of a 1.4sri might be the best way to go, but actually using the 1200 pistons & 1300 rods on the 1400 block, with the 1300 head & the 1400 injection bits and a mappable ecu.. trouble is that it could cost you a lot of money to make the injection stuff work...

there is a bloke on here who won the stock hatch championship this year with a 1.6 gte, kbf71, and he made a workable bitsa injection system. it mighty be worth asking him how he did it.. there are quite a few 1.4 injection systems being ripped off to put 40's on at the moment..

you could do like the old mini racers & get a single 45 weber fitted on a home made manifold.......

George g
29-12-09, 06:14 PM
That is 2 chokes, hence why I suggested it.

sorry, didnt read that properly, thought you meant twin 40's...

The car is on billies and handles spot on so don't want to change them, bias box, disk rear axel, willwood front brakes, pollybushed, zf LSD recomended by harry hockley, only thing we lak is power as old engine went bang :( so I could technicly put 1300 swift engine in with standard injection systym? Not sure what route to take, either get as much power from vaux 8v or stick in a 16v engine. Engine cc has to be under 1400 though :)

1400 eco 16v with cams & mappable ECU? some corsa's round our way that fly without the Cams & ECU with the 16v. What Final Drive you running? :thumb:

SR-Rally
29-12-09, 06:32 PM
Thanks guys!! What's a corsa sprint? And how lightly am I to find the parts needed? My aim is to get between 100 and 120bhp. I think the idea of using the grp a head with injection set up is good idea but will the ports line up? I have an mbe loom and ecu to run twin carbs on injection engines, I could sell that to raise funds as won't to get it sorted for 2010 season.

The big boys are in mk2's and protons etc, I'm the highest placed nova at the moment so know one to really copy :s

sorry posting this off phone so bit confusing.

SR-Rally
29-12-09, 06:32 PM
4:53

SR-Rally
29-12-09, 06:33 PM
I've got a facet fuel pump at the moment going to fuel regulater, would that be enough bar to run injection?

mowgli
29-12-09, 06:39 PM
I've got a facet fuel pump at the moment going to fuel regulater, would that be enough bar to run injection?

no, it'll only be good for carbs....you'd need a swirl pot & injection pump.. or fit a gte tank & pump setup.

SR-Rally
29-12-09, 06:48 PM
i thought so. i might go speak to martyn lewis tomorrow. he stage rallies a nova with mbe management and jenvey bodies and has loads contacts and spares. see if i can get a some rough idea prices plus he'l do all the mapping for me. at moment i'm thinking run 1300 bottom end with 12st pistons etc then grp A head and gsi throttle body set with mapable ecu? sound about right?

mowgli
29-12-09, 07:02 PM
check with the chief scrutineer of the championship as well, but tell him its 1.4sri stuff, not gsi. i'm guessing you'll be getting close to 140hp with that lot...

SR-Rally
30-12-09, 11:10 AM
just spoke to martyn, think mbe management might be out the question as price. getting price on ecu off alan from protec though and martyn makes the looms so we'l see. how much do you reckon a rebore will cost?