PDA

View Full Version : Starter motor 3 wires?

ainsley_brader
28-12-09, 08:29 PM
Sorry if i'm asking a dumb question here but...
Putting a x16xel in a 1.0 nova
The original engines starter motor has 3 wires, obviously a feed and a switch but what is the third?
The x16xel only has 2 do i need to do anything with the third wire?

Thanks Ainsley

Nobby
28-12-09, 08:49 PM
i cant remember exactly but you only need 2, 1. red/black is your switched and i cant remeber what colour but its the bigger 1 of the 3 is the other one you need. The thin black is un needed.

MattBrown
28-12-09, 09:35 PM
AS said above!

One from your alt/battery (Big fat red one on a 1,0

And the black/red one to the solenoid on the starter, Ive never used the 3rd one, and couldnt tell you what it was lol

peester
28-12-09, 09:56 PM
the third might be the braided earth strap that goes from solenoid to starter..?

ainsley_brader
28-12-09, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the answers i guessed i could just not worry about it but was interested to know what it was for might have to cut the loom up and see at some point!
Thanks for the input Peester but no it comes from the charging loom!

mowgli
28-12-09, 11:21 PM
the third wire goes to the coil.... the 1.0 runs a 6v coil. it does this by having a resistive wire from the ignition switch to the coil. but when you turn the engine over, the coil voltage drops, thus there is a wire from the starter that gives nearer 12v to the coil just to get it started, then when you let go of the key, it goes back to 6v again. its an old fashioned design. you also need to remove the resistive wire from the loom & replace it with a normal one to make the correct ignition +ve feed for the injection system. the old wire is dead easy to find in the loom, it is the only wire that is clear coated.

MattBrown
29-12-09, 12:44 AM
Ffs!

That's why the Cnut won't start!

Araghhhhhhhhhhhh:(

****ting pile of **** stained foreign ****e!

Nobby
01-01-10, 07:38 PM
i had the same problem on my xe run a direct feed from the battery to the coil and if it starts there your problem!