PDA

View Full Version : Car wont start

ZuG
27-03-03, 04:30 PM
turn the key to turn the engine on and it just makes one tick sound and nothing happens. Ive charged the battery up so its not that, and ive had a new starter motor about 2 months ago put in so doubt its that. is there anything obvious it could be?

burgessovsalford
27-03-03, 04:35 PM
Are you sure the battery is not fcuked? If it is it may not have charged...

check the battery earth is properly connected.

Also not too sure....?? But is there a fuse in the fusebox for the ignition?

there a couple of the abvious anyways :wink:

Dicko
27-03-03, 04:47 PM
if it does the click thing and u have no imobiliser its.......

dead batery
bad earth
seized engine

take you pick and eliminate them 1 by 1 :)

ZuG
27-03-03, 06:20 PM
I have an imobilizer but its not flashing or anything.
The battery still plays my radio and what have you, i charged it using a halfords battery charger and it charged to '1' so it should of started. I have checked all of the fuses and so its not that. only leaves seized engine lol, maybe i shouldnt be laughing. Ill try getting a jump start.

brian
27-03-03, 06:24 PM
has to be a bad earth (check them all) or else your power to the starter is not on tight.
thats the sound ya hear when a batt pole is left loose on the pole and you try to start the engine.

Aragorn
27-03-03, 07:35 PM
could also be the starter motor itself or the solenoid

locky
27-03-03, 10:05 PM
could also be the starter motor itself or the solenoid

Give the solenoid a small tap with a hammer whilst som1 is turning the key! solenoids are funny things! chech all earthsas mentioned above!
If it doesnt fire after tapping the solenoid, try tapping the rear of the starter motor!
Oh, make sure the car is out of gear!

ade
27-03-03, 10:10 PM
I reckon battery - radio will still play - summut to do with amps needed or volts (summut like that) -

jump start it - and drive about for 30 mins or so

was the starter new?

Ade