PDA

View Full Version : floor soaked

DEE'S NOVA
27-03-03, 04:25 PM
i just went to look at the girlfriends car and the passenger footwell is litterally soaking i push down and a puddle appears so can this be sorted or is the shell ruined and will need scrappd :oops:

Dicko
27-03-03, 04:30 PM
hole under batery tray more than likely. get the battery out and take a look!!

Ste_Nova
27-03-03, 04:30 PM
push through the drain plug from under the car..... there are 3 in the passenger foot well that will let the water out......

Ben (lurk75)
27-03-03, 04:34 PM
I had this after mine was parked up for a year, i stripped back the whole interior and scrapped the tar off and it was solid as a rock. (or as solid as a nova can be)

pwburridge
27-03-03, 05:06 PM
As well as checking for the most obvious rot on the bulk head and battery tray also check the grommet through which the wiring loom passes or any other cables (such as rear wash) my carpet was getting soaked for a while before I realised the water could run down the arial cable that didn't have a grommet

brian
27-03-03, 06:27 PM
also check the grommet inside the kick panel where the indicator wiring goes out to the wing. if its pushed out are anything water will come in here.

Euan
27-03-03, 07:49 PM
i've got this prob as well mate. cant find the leak anywhere.

pissin me off!!!

Chris LR
27-03-03, 07:53 PM
I haven't seen HEATER MATRIX mentioned, but it's unlikely... Check Expansion Bottle

mowgli
27-03-03, 07:56 PM
maybe it has had a replacement front wing that wasn't screwed & sealed properly.

GTE-RACER
27-03-03, 10:05 PM
lol...i've got the same prob, but sumhow it's effecting my indicators(!?!?!?) and they don't work half the time lol

ade
27-03-03, 10:28 PM
Tommy m8 - its one of the following -

(dont think battery tray coz thats the other side)

1. leaking rubber seals round door/window slightly open
2. sealent round wing perished (easy to fix)
3. grommit where the indicators enter the cockpit missing (mine did this)
4. hole in the passenger bulkhead
5. leaking windscreen (unliklry)

best thing to do is remove carpet and padding and shelf and side trim and foam from side of car take a watering can and whilst someone poours it along the passenger wing and over the windscreen, watch for trickles of water

Then trace back and seal

Ade
:wink:

PE4
27-03-03, 10:53 PM
I had plenty of leaks once, so I stripped out the whole interior (all of it including dash) and drove down to the local carwash....5mins later and a quick bath, I had found all the leaky bits, so i got them sorted and built up the car again :):):)

Ben (lurk75)
27-03-03, 10:57 PM
now that is a tad extreme. a hose will suffice quite nicley :o

How did you srive it if you stripped the entire interior? what did you sit on? 8)

DEE'S NOVA
28-03-03, 01:44 PM
thanks guys so it can be fixed then phewww will i be best to take the carpet out and dry it b4 it rotts the floor?

ade do you mean the side repeaters

and it has has a new wing put on the side bit of a shi**y fit as it's copy wings

my heater matrix is broke me think as the fan does'nt work to blow air into the cab

and ade sunday is fine wae me m8 if you want to come up as i'm not at work that day

DEE'S NOVA
28-03-03, 01:55 PM
me being stuipid and not thinking of trying the driver foot well when i checked the passenger side have just went i tried the driver one and i bet you can guess it's "SOAKED TOO" ARH old cars :roll:

dave.gsi
28-03-03, 03:28 PM
odds are the rear footwells will be soaked too, once the carpets wet it spreads like a mother fucker. i had the same prob too, sealed the grommets in the footwell (old ones knackered) and filled a tiny hole under the battery. problems fixed now.

DEE'S NOVA
28-03-03, 03:52 PM
actuall the rear is dry for just now but the weired thing is it has not been raining here for about 2 weeks been great weathermust have been holding it for ages

Euan
28-03-03, 04:39 PM
i dont have anythin coverin the hole where the wires pass through the bulkhead to inside the car so think it might be that thats ma prob.

rhumphris
28-03-03, 08:45 PM
I had the same prob on my 1.2, i ended up using expanding foam, and then undersealing everything in sight. took weeks for the underlay material to dry out though. turns out that water was getting behind the scuttle from the drivers side (battery tray) and finally dripping through. took about 20 mins from spraying water to it comming through.

Chris LR
28-03-03, 08:48 PM
Have you checked expansion bottle?

Euan
29-03-03, 12:57 PM
i'm not losin any water from tank.

DEE'S NOVA
31-03-03, 02:17 PM
is there a good way to dry it out or is it a case of strip it and let it dry in it's own time?

ade
31-03-03, 04:35 PM
strip it out and let it dry naturally U will need to remove seats and the centre console as the padding under the carpet is a complete piece that goes on both sides.

I cust mine out coz I couldnt be arsed removing the seats etc...

Get it out soon though otherwise it will stink to high heaven and if left long enuff you will sprout mushrooms (happened to me and I think Locky!)

Ade
:D

novarally9999
31-03-03, 06:18 PM
Just had a similar fault on a customers car;

It turned out the windscreen seal at the bottom had been leaking for around 20cm in bottom right. The lip and bulkhead panel had rotted away, and you couldn't tell for the dashboard was in the way. Not easy to weld up but did it eventually.

Also the battery compartment look 100% sound but with the dashboard out it became apparant it had rotted right along the seam towards the front of the compartment from inside out. Couldn't see it from outside but leaked like a bitch.

This was a 1993 L reg GSi with just 32k on the clock.

DEE'S NOVA
03-04-03, 05:06 PM
i don't feel confident to take the dash out so might give that a by

and how much would you pay for a rolling shell as theres one in the tv mag so don't know if i'd be better going for that and swapping everything :o