PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a headunit

Jim Mcrae
28-12-09, 12:32 PM
I'm in the process of fiting a cd player in to the car, the first problem is there is only two wires coming from the car, the live to the battery and the earth, i have connected these to the stereo and can only get it to light up for half a second. What do I do? Im a noob when it comes to this!

Thanks

Annie
28-12-09, 12:40 PM
most players have a red, black & a yellow, depends on the player.

your have a:

red+ - ignition Live (switches the player on)
Black earth
yellow - Battery live (memory)
Blue - Amp remote

On some players if you dont want to mess around with wiring you can I think join the ignition live to the battery live & turn on player manually.

I know how to do it lol but cant put it in words im sure someone can go into detail.

what player is it?

Jim Mcrae
28-12-09, 12:44 PM
In layman's terms? lol

Jim Mcrae
28-12-09, 12:50 PM
EDITED, as didnt notice you had. Thanks will give it a go!

rep IF it works.

Nebbz
28-12-09, 01:02 PM
sorry to hijack your thread...but on the mark two nova...how the hell do you get that stupid cage out from the old head unit! tried loads of spanners and what not, i cannot get it to budge??? planning to drill out the nut how ever any other idea's also if any one knows that dam nut size for the spanner i need i would be a happy lady! (my headunit is currently hanging out!)

Rysee
28-12-09, 01:25 PM
Doesn't the cage have a screw from the back into a clip?

brainsnova
28-12-09, 01:42 PM
EDITED, as didnt notice you had. Thanks will give it a go!

rep IF it works.

run an ignition live as it gets annoying switching a stereo on and off manually. you could take a feed from the fan switch.

Rysee
28-12-09, 01:43 PM
Sorry for another hijack,

Brains could this be done on a mk1 dash without taking it out?

brainsnova
28-12-09, 01:47 PM
yes pop the heater switch out and be gentle then push a wire down or up. its a bit fiddly but possible.

Jim Mcrae
28-12-09, 02:35 PM
Got it working, buts its died all of a sudden, possible an exposed wire killed it? the fuse appears to be fine. Damn im pissed off at the moment!

bmw156
28-12-09, 03:39 PM
another thread hijack.

have put a CD player into my nova. and its working etc just plugged the iso in.

but the yellow and red wire withy the bullet connetors on. are they meant to be colour for colour or opposite. as if i have them correct. it doesnt drain the battery, but has no memory. or if i have them switched it has memory. but im worried its gonna drain the battery.

any help thanks.

Nova_Sean
28-12-09, 03:39 PM
sorry to hijack your thread...but on the mark two nova...how the hell do you get that stupid cage out from the old head unit! tried loads of spanners and what not, i cannot get it to budge??? planning to drill out the nut how ever any other idea's also if any one knows that dam nut size for the spanner i need i would be a happy lady! (my headunit is currently hanging out!)

I got macho with mine and pulled it out really hard bent all the cage :))

Annie
28-12-09, 04:03 PM
another thread hijack.

have put a CD player into my nova. and its working etc just plugged the iso in.

but the yellow and red wire withy the bullet connetors on. are they meant to be colour for colour or opposite. as if i have them correct. it doesnt drain the battery, but has no memory. or if i have them switched it has memory. but im worried its gonna drain the battery.

any help thanks.

The bullet connectors are there for that reason depends how the cars wired up, swap them around until your player has memory. the player memory takes a very small amount of power, it wont drain your battery.

bmw156
28-12-09, 05:45 PM
The bullet connectors are there for that reason depends how the cars wired up, swap them around until your player has memory. the player memory takes a very small amount of power, it wont drain your battery.

+rep :)

Jack
29-12-09, 08:27 PM
Nebbz, bend/break it. Most aftermarket CD players will come with a new cage to put in.

As for wiring, fcuk using the stock harness and always, always, always wire in fresh power/earth etc. Its soooo much easier and you have none of this silly billy memory loss rubbish.

Rysee
29-12-09, 08:28 PM
Going to attempt wiring in my stereo friday and hope it isn't dash out

Jack
29-12-09, 08:34 PM
Shouldn't be, its pretty easy to run some wires in without taking the dash out in both Mk1 and Mk2.

Rysee
29-12-09, 08:37 PM
Shouldn't be, its pretty easy to run some wires in without taking the dash out in both Mk1 and Mk2.

If i go from the back of the fuse box, underneath the lower shelfs should hide it

Annie
29-12-09, 09:02 PM
im pretty sure mine was wired in either using the live from the heater or clock. cant remember which lol

Rysee
29-12-09, 09:02 PM
I'll have a go witht he heater, i have no clock haha

Annie
29-12-09, 09:05 PM
even if you dont have a clock I'm sure the live feed is tapped up in the loom behind :)

Rysee
29-12-09, 09:07 PM
Oh cool, cheers Annie,, i'll have a dig about

Jim Mcrae
30-12-09, 12:47 AM
Mine comes from the heater.

bazil
30-12-09, 01:08 AM
joining the switched live and constant live on the loom of the car is a bad idea, i done it on my mates mk2 gte astra by accident and it sent a back feed up to the ignition and lite up the digi dash, he sh*t himselflol ,
if you have a switched live and a constant live on the car end of the loom do not put them together, but it is fine to put the switched feed and constant feed from the radio together and conect to the constant live on the car loom.
Also some iso conectors have the wires for switched live and constant live round the wrong way on the radio conpared to the car thus giving your radio memory loss.

Jack
30-12-09, 11:13 AM
And dragging feeds from other stuff like the clock etc is pulling extra current down 20 year old wires that aren't designed to handle it.

Why do people not put fresh wiring in? Its not hard. This would make meritlover sad :(

Lucky Luke!
30-12-09, 11:00 PM
It never ceases to amaze me, for the sake of spending an extra half hour running new cables people would rather f**k about pulling feeds from clocks and heaters for it to only start blowing fuses and messing things up? doh!

Rysee
31-12-09, 01:21 AM
Because some of us suck with electrics. I've wired panels i've wired lighting and power circuits but i bloooooody hate it!

Bubba
31-12-09, 01:40 AM
i robbed power from my ciggy lighter...i would of attempted a rewire but i cant wire up a simple thing