PDA

View Full Version : Elecy windows & C/L

burgessovsalford
27-03-03, 04:12 PM
Im fitting these at the weekend & have got the guide, but just unsure about how the wires are gunna come from the doors into the car. Will I need to drill holes or not?

Ste_Nova
27-03-03, 04:28 PM
yes you have to drill..... there are dent holes in the door and frame where the center of the holes should be

burgessovsalford
27-03-03, 04:31 PM
Cheers for the quick reply mate...

brian
27-03-03, 06:29 PM
make sure you have grommets first so you can decide what size to drill :wink:

Chris LR
27-03-03, 07:58 PM
You can run them out the front of the door card.

Does look crap tho.....

ade
27-03-03, 10:22 PM
personally Id avoid drilling the body frame around where the light switch lives (ie when you open the door it comes on - that area) - main reason is that aftrer continued opening and closing the wires will snap. They get fouled up in the door closing.

Also the metal there is quite thick

I found a better way was to drill a hole on the side of the body behind the door front section - as on modern cars. I used 2 salvaged rubber connectors - similar to the one that runs from the hatch to the hatch body for the rear washer wires etc...got them off an old fiesta

I then used a 2cm wood drill bit ( :o ) that one with the wide flat head and the point at the end and just ripped into the side of the car :twisted:
Then I cleaned up the hole with a file. The hole comes out just behind the cavity by the side trim. Did the same on the side edge of the door just below the support guide.

I must point out that you can only really acheive this with the wing off.

However as my car is also delocked I now have enough room to run all central locking wires, delocking wires running from the passenger solenoid, leccy winsows and space for speaker wires if I do door builds

I simply connected one end of the rubber tube to the car door, threaded the wires through it, into the car body, then connected the other end of the rubber hose to the body. The hose was designed to flex between panels, is perfect length and flexes correctly - you also cant see it and it doiesnt foul the rubber seal round the door.

I sealed the ends with grey stripe and its not leaked or had any probs since!

Long winded but looks v professional (if I do say so!)

:wink:

mikeoxford
27-03-03, 10:46 PM
tubing is the best way, but gromits are acceptable, thats what i did on my first nova merit, seal it wih silicone around the gromit as well and your laffing