PDA

View Full Version : choke

swedge
27-12-09, 08:29 PM
right on the cold mornings my car dosent like to idle well

its a 1.0 and when i pull the choke out it basicly makes the engine die after a couple secs its as if its over fueling it lol

i know it put more fuel through but its like its putting too much through

also is there any way to make my car idle slightly higher

i dont have a rev counter so dont know what it revs at the moment

John
27-12-09, 08:34 PM
just don't pull the choke out all the way! I never have to use full choke on my 1.2, even when it was -4!

johnny_turbo
27-12-09, 08:36 PM
dont pull the choke all the way out.

there should be a screw on the carb near the accelrater(sp) cable to turn it up or down

edit : slow

Adam
27-12-09, 09:14 PM
Fit fuel injection :d lol

Its 2010 we shouldnt be using chokes!!! lol lol

But as said, half choke should do for any weather....

swedge
28-12-09, 03:52 AM
i dont pull it fully out, if i pull it more than like 1mm it does this

mowgli
28-12-09, 08:52 AM
i think your car is running with the choke already partially on, readjust it, then get the tickover set

swedge
29-12-09, 01:07 AM
i dont think it is as it idles quite low from what can hear and makes the dash vibrate like mad

daverobson
29-12-09, 01:10 AM
have you tried pulling choke out slightly and raising the revs abit? works fine for me :thumb:

Nova-rich
29-12-09, 01:23 AM
Lmao the ongoing juggling act that is... THE MANUAL CHOKE! The only way to sort this is to:

*Run some carb cleaner through it and give it a blast that will cure any inefficiancy caused by crap in the jets

*Re-adjust the choke from scratch making sure the cable hasnt slipped (which would explain why the revs are low with the choke out)

*Also are you running a K&N biscuit tin filter if so it will be prone to freezing making it run like a sack of s**t you will need warm air ducting to it from your exhaust manifold to stop this.

Bubba
29-12-09, 01:30 AM
gotta love manual chokes. if you have a binlid does it not have that big summer-winter thing on it? my choke is a total ball ache to get it to tick over but once im away its fine. about 1/3 of the way does it for me

Steve
29-12-09, 11:56 PM
yeah a 1.0 will have summer/winter mode. Make sure its on winter, pull the choke out about 1/4 of the way, and put your foot very slightly on the throttle, leave it for a few seconds and all should be good.

Welsh Dan
30-12-09, 01:43 AM
I used to wind the throttle stop screw out a bit during the winter on my 1.2 to keep the idle up.

swedge
30-12-09, 01:25 PM
I used to wind the throttle stop screw out a bit during the winter on my 1.2 to keep the idle up.

where is this?

Welsh Dan
30-12-09, 01:28 PM
On the 1.2 its on the drivers side of the carb at the bottom. If you get a friend to work the throttle while the engine is off you'll see the throttle linkage moving and the screw that it comes to rest on, it should make sense from there :thumb:.

EDIT: The 1.0 has a different carb, better consult the manual chap.

craig green
30-12-09, 01:30 PM
If you have the owners manual for the car, the starting procedure is detailed, which does include depressing the accelerator once before turning the key & how far to pull out the choke.

My 1.2 carb used to fire 1st time everytime by actually getting the choke 2/3rds out as it fired & then immediately push it back in to about 1/3rd choke & let it idle for 30 secs before heading off. Obv they all go out of adjustment & carbs get full of gack.

Just because it has a choke, doesnt mean you have to use all of it.

LOL @ all the carb icing chat too. You'd never guess what time of year it was!