PDA

View Full Version : Nova 1.4 sr problems starting

stewart_2004
27-12-09, 05:07 PM
Hey all im having problems getting my nova to start it was fine afew weeks ago but now it wont start up it turns over fine but thats it.

mowgli
27-12-09, 05:32 PM
right, rotor arm, cap, plugs, leads, battery, earths, is the cambelt ok & timed up, is the fuel pump on the head actually pumping fuel, damaged fuel line etc

stewart_2004
27-12-09, 07:30 PM
thanks for the reply mate how can i tell if fuel pump on top of head is working

John
27-12-09, 07:46 PM
thanks for the reply mate how can i tell if fuel pump on top of head is working

remove pipe from pump to carb, and lower into suitable container, turn car over, see if you have fuel!

mowgli
27-12-09, 07:47 PM
undo the pipe from the pump to the carb. if no fuel is coming out, the either the pump is tatered or the cambelt is stripped.

stewart_2004
27-12-09, 07:56 PM
ok cheers guys so the cam belt drives fuel pump ?

mowgli
27-12-09, 07:58 PM
yes & no, the cambelt drives the camshaft, and the camshaft , in turn, drives the pump. another good check is to remove the distributor cap and try cranking the engine, if it rotates then the cambelt is ok.

stewart_2004
27-12-09, 08:01 PM
cheers mate it was running like i said but it was left outside in the freezing weather. will keep at it. if the engine is flooded what can i do ? does this engine have an auto choke ?

mowgli
27-12-09, 08:07 PM
if its flooded, then remove the spark plugs & put them somewhere nice & warm to dry them, and crank the engine over to clear the bores

yes it will have an autochoke.

stewart_2004
27-12-09, 08:18 PM
cheers for that it looks like pipes have been blanked off and wires bodged together in the bay im new to novas but come from corsa's to im slowly learning my way round the car. thanks for help so far

John
27-12-09, 08:40 PM
Do you have anti-freeze in the cooling system? could have frozen solid if not!

stewart_2004
28-12-09, 11:51 AM
right removed dissy cap turned tried to fire engine and it didnt spin removed belt cover to find a snapped belt. removed belt both top and bottom turn ok by hand is this an interferance engine ?

mowgli
28-12-09, 01:38 PM
if it snapped on start up, you should be fine. the cheapest way to find out is to stick a belt on it... what have you got to lose?????
i had one strip at 85mph once on a 1.2, and it ran fine with a new belt.

you might want to stick a new water pump on as well, as they are cheap & the old one will usually leak after the belts been adjusted for tension

stewart_2004
28-12-09, 05:21 PM
cheers mate will look into it and get belt fitted.

stewart_2004
29-12-09, 08:28 PM
Right fitted new belt toay all tightend up correctly then charged the battery tryed to start car and it still wont start. both top and bottom of the engine is turning ok. any ideas guys ? oh yeah i have checked for a spark and thats fine.

mowgli
29-12-09, 08:37 PM
well, if you timed it right, then its time to go back to basics......how much did you turn it over??? did you take the rocker cover off to see if everything is running right? it does take a while to pump the hydraulic lifters back up...

have you got fuel pumping??

stewart_2004
29-12-09, 08:54 PM
yeah it was timed up correctly mate also i removed the rocker cover and turned engine over by hand all seemed fine. i turned the engine over by hand few times and it didnt seem hard to do it. I need to check the fuel how exactly do I do that again ? i was gonna do a compression test tomorrow aswell.

mowgli
29-12-09, 08:55 PM
yeah it was timed up correctly mate also i removed the rocker cover and turned engine over by hand all seemed fine. i turned the engine over by hand few times and it didnt seem hard to do it. I need to check the fuel how exactly do I do that again ? i was gonna do a compression test tomorrow aswell.

take off the pipe from the pump to the carb & crank it over

stewart_2004
29-12-09, 09:02 PM
is it where the silver canister is

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o98/stewart29992000/P1010114.jpg at the bottom of the pic

mowgli
29-12-09, 09:05 PM
on the bottom left, yes. take the rh(as in the photo) pipe off & crank it.

stewart_2004
29-12-09, 09:08 PM
cheers mowgli thanks for all your help so far i just wanna get it running now.

mowgli
29-12-09, 09:09 PM
i want to get it running too!!!!!!!!

stewart_2004
29-12-09, 09:12 PM
will comp test it tomorrow then.

stewart_2004
30-12-09, 05:56 PM
Spent afew hours today on nova first of all was to charge the battery gave it good few hours of juice. as ive ran it down trying to start car. next job was to remove the K & N filter and see if everything was ok i played with the throttle cable and made sure it was squirting fuel in and it was so tried car it almost started so i gave the cable afew more pulls to get more fuel in and it fired up but stalled so did same again it fired and stalled so next was to give it a little throttle to keep it going which worked for afew more seconds then died. so tried again more throttle it kept running too foot off pedal it died tried again more throttle took foot off it kept running and idling but was very rough to its a runner now think i need to change the coolant on it aswell its very rusty looking.

If i do a full coolant change inc back flushing the heather matrix how do i refill the system. if i put the coolant into the header tank it will fill up the radiator it wont go past the thermostat as it will be closed is that correct.

Alslo big thanks to mowgli for all ur help mate really appricited ur time replying to to me. :thumb: