PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!! 1.2 to 1.6 carb

Mcgowan
27-12-09, 04:31 PM
I've recently decided to fit a 1.6 carb engine out of a 86' mk2 cav into my 1.2 saloon but i'm really struggling to sort out the wires as i'm pretty retarded!lol! Does anyone know where i can get a copy of the cavs engine wiring diagram? or better yet has anyone done this before? I'm struggling with wires off the coil, and the starter motor as it has the two terminals and a spade connector on top of it where as my old one just had the two terminals any help would be greatly appreciated:thumb:

AlexW
27-12-09, 04:48 PM
Might be worth Pm'ing Jimbob mcgrew.

mowgli
27-12-09, 04:55 PM
have you got it mounted & plumbed ok????????? a 86 mk2 is a big block isn't it??

the starter has 2 wires, big red & black/red. the coil has black into pin 15, and green on pin 1.. infact, it looks pretty much identical to the 1.2 carb nova..

I have an unused mk2 cav haynes manual for a tenner posted if you are interested.

AlexW
27-12-09, 05:00 PM
I did think it was bigblock too, but dunno when they became smallblock?

mowgli
27-12-09, 05:08 PM
mk3 cavs got them, but some had big blocks too

Mcgowan
27-12-09, 05:16 PM
have you got it mounted & plumbed ok????????? a 86 mk2 is a big block isn't it??

the starter has 2 wires, big red & black/red. the coil has black into pin 15, and green on pin 1.. infact, it looks pretty much identical to the 1.2 carb nova..

I have an unused mk2 cav haynes manual for a tenner posted if you are interested.

Yeah i've got it mounted in fine just had to modify the rear gearbox mount a bit but otherwise it went in fine, Not sure about the difference between small and bigblock the rocker cover looks the same as a 2.0 8v but i did have to lift the car over the engine as it was too wide to fit through the bay!! pipes also go well but a bit of modification required,

I've connected the big red (loving your technical terms!lol ) and red/black wires onto the starter and it spins it but doesn't engage the flywheel, but when it was in the cav it started and ran fine:confused: and its basically come straight out and in. I'll let ya know about the manual if no-one can help me:thumb:

Mcgowan
30-12-09, 12:05 AM
Awo6 your a lifesaver jimbob mcgrew told me more than i could have asked for thanks very much for reccomending him, It's now running:thumb: