PDA

View Full Version : I'm out of ideas :S

comptoncj
27-12-09, 03:20 PM
Right, got a misfire, Ive definatly got a spark, I've had the 40s off and blown out all the jets and where the jets go, and had the top cover off and i can see both valves opening and closing and its got compression? when i took the plugs out the one its misfiring on was white? any ideas?

Cheers

GRUNT 16V
27-12-09, 03:51 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:FFEnq3Ky6f-ptM:http://themushroomkingdom.net/images/mlss/mlss_mario-hammer.jpg (http://themushroomkingdom.net/images/mlss/mlss_mario-hammer.jpg)

comptoncj
27-12-09, 03:54 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:FFEnq3Ky6f-ptM:http://themushroomkingdom.net/images/mlss/mlss_mario-hammer.jpg (http://themushroomkingdom.net/images/mlss/mlss_mario-hammer.jpg)

I've had nothing but trouble with this :( I know in the long run it will be worth it for the smiles when i floor the accelerator. Anyone got any ideas as to what it could be?

Cheers

GRUNT 16V
27-12-09, 03:56 PM
check for an air leak spary the inlet manifold and gasket with carb cleaner !! while its running if you hear a different pitch at idle then there is a leak etc other than that check you timing

comptoncj
27-12-09, 04:00 PM
Il check for a leak then ive got it back together again, couldnt here one though, theres just no activity on number 1, dont think its a timing issue, :S hmm confused.

mowgli
27-12-09, 04:22 PM
i'm guessing that no.1 simply isn't getting fuel...

now, its either a carb fault, or there is a problem with the cam follower/lifter.
rocker top off is a quick test...

have you got one of those suction thingy's to test the carb flow?? one could be way out

comptoncj
27-12-09, 04:39 PM
i'm guessing that no.1 simply isn't getting fuel...

now, its either a carb fault, or there is a problem with the cam follower/lifter.
rocker top off is a quick test...

have you got one of those suction thingy's to test the carb flow?? one could be way out

I havnt got anything to test the carbs no, i did have issues lining up the auxillary venturies but i sorted that, I think I'm going to take the carbs to bits again to triple check that nothing is blocked. ive had the rocker cover off and everything is opening and closing like it should so its gotta be carb related ? I could see fuel squirting from the pump jets on all 4?

mowgli
27-12-09, 04:56 PM
i think you need to get it to a garage where they know what they're doing with twin carbs.....

have you tried the webcon (http://webcon.s4.bizhat.com/) forums?

comptoncj
27-12-09, 05:08 PM
Hehe yeah, well i was gettin annoyed with it so ive walked away for the evening, gonna see if my uncle will have a look at it, i cant work it out though because the carbs were fine when i used them in the hatch, all ive done is swapped them into the convertible.

comptoncj
28-12-09, 09:44 PM
Right, update, had the carbs stripped and rebuilt with new seals etc and everything set properly made no difference its still got a misfire. Ive took the plugs out again and turned the engine over, it looks like the plug on number 1 has a really weird pattern compared to the other 3? could this be the dizzy breaking down or the coil? Ive tried a lead and a plug and they've made no difference. really bugging me now :(

MattBrown
28-12-09, 09:51 PM
Plugs?

Leads?

Cap?

Rotor arm?

Are they on points??

Coil earthed well!

comptoncj
28-12-09, 09:54 PM
Plugs?

Leads?

Cap?

Rotor arm?

Are they on points??

Coil earthed well!

Hmm, gonna take it all off and start again replace everything and hopefully the powers of deduction eliminate the issue.

novaxe235
28-12-09, 10:03 PM
Haven't read the whole thread, but what about a broken valve spring sorry if its already been ruled out just a suggestion.

comptoncj
28-12-09, 10:18 PM
Haven't read the whole thread, but what about a broken valve spring sorry if its already been ruled out just a suggestion.

Nah theyre not broken mate, just replaced standard ones for kent ones. hope i can get it sorted this weekend then i can get the car moved to the bodyshop.

tom reid
28-12-09, 10:21 PM
Back to basics, comp test, ign parts, tried swapping plugs over?

comptoncj
28-12-09, 10:24 PM
yeah ive done all the basics, swapped the plug and lead and it hasnt moved the misfire, and ive got compression and the valves are opening and shutting as they should :S

novaxe235
28-12-09, 10:28 PM
Is the plug wet when removed post up a picture of it if you can.

comptoncj
28-12-09, 10:33 PM
It wasnt wet, it was white though and the others were like a chocolate colour.

16xe_chris
28-12-09, 10:38 PM
Right, update, had the carbs stripped and rebuilt with new seals etc and everything set properly made no difference its still got a misfire. Ive took the plugs out again and turned the engine over, it looks like the plug on number 1 has a really weird pattern compared to the other 3? could this be the dizzy breaking down or the coil? Ive tried a lead and a plug and they've made no difference. really bugging me now :(

Ignore the sparking pattern if the plug in question is white.
If it wasn't getting a good spark it should be wet to look at :thumb:

As you said in a previous post you could see the fuel pumping out of all 4 jets, these are the main jets, carbs normally come on the larger main jets at 4500rpm ish??, are the idle jets clear?? how well did you stip the carbs??

If the spark plug is white then there is deffinately no fuel getting to that piston, if you keep running it like that you'll be expecting to achieve damage matey:thumb:

comptoncj
28-12-09, 10:41 PM
Well i blew the jets and float chambers out but my dads had a look at them today and stripped them down to the bodies and rebuilt them again. Bugging me soooo much :( just want it to work lol

16xe_chris
28-12-09, 10:47 PM
Well i blew the jets and float chambers out but my dads had a look at them today and stripped them down to the bodies and rebuilt them again. Bugging me soooo much :( just want it to work lol

lol so you un did the large wing nut and blew the main jets out lol

on the sides of the carbs there are more brass shiny nuts un-do them ones mate on the affecting cylinder and give them a real good clean, make sure the little rubber rings underneath these nuts are okay and not letting air in:thumb: when i last ran mine with 40's they were filthy with old petrol stuck in every part of them :thumb:

What size choke/immulsion tubes are you running in them?? i was on 32mm for my last 1600 8v lump

comptoncj
28-12-09, 11:05 PM
lol well i did more than just blew down the hole lol I took all the jets out and took the top covers off the carbs, well anyway theyre all built up and have been thoroughly cleaned out. Got work tomorrow but I'll have another look tomorrow to see if i can get it running on 4, i think it clears on full throttle but its really hard to tell with the webers roaring away.

16xe_chris
28-12-09, 11:13 PM
lol well i did more than just blew down the hole lol I took all the jets out and took the top covers off the carbs, well anyway theyre all built up and have been thoroughly cleaned out. Got work tomorrow but I'll have another look tomorrow to see if i can get it running on 4, i think it clears on full throttle but its really hard to tell with the webers roaring away.

It will clear on full throttle because the main jets are opening up matey:thumb:

I am nearly 100% certain it will be the idle jets that are blocked, as they are the first things to work on your carbs :thumb:

I :wisewood: webbers:cool: :cool:

novaxe235
29-12-09, 11:41 AM
It wasnt wet, it was white though and the others were like a chocolate colour.As has now been said it is going to be a fuel problem not spark have you checked for air leaks using the brake cleaner method on trumpet/carb 1.

comptoncj
29-12-09, 06:54 PM
Hopefully between work I will have a chance to have another look at it, il try the brake cleaner method, Im reading the weber dcoe Haynes manual for ideas lol

comptoncj
30-12-09, 08:14 PM
update, still misfiring, no airleaks, got compression, got a spark, cleaned carbs out. :(

comptoncj
30-12-09, 09:42 PM
Also its not clearing as i said before there no activity from cylinder 1 at all. :S

novaxe235
16-01-10, 09:25 PM
Did this ever get sorted out be interested to know what it was ?.