PDA

View Full Version : Will a 1.3sr clock go straight into a 1.2clock? Rev counter?

Snowface
27-03-03, 11:16 AM
Will the rev counter work on the sr clock? Do i need a sender from an sr and how easy are they to fit?

Dave
27-03-03, 11:34 AM
whilst on the subject of dashes
what is the difference between the 1.2 an 1.4sr plug
is it just a case of swapping 1 or 2 wires over and fitting a rev counter connection to the coil

novamark
27-03-03, 12:18 PM
i heard that it is, but thats not for definate, i wanna do the same thing, 1.2 dials are so boring!

burgessovsalford
27-03-03, 01:29 PM
Will the rev counter work on the sr clock? Do i need a sender from an sr and how easy are they to fit?

Its usually the green wire thats for the rev counter, if you cannot find it behing the clocks on ur 1.2(so have them some dont?) If you cant find the green wire it goes to then just run a wire from the green straight to the coil & it will work that way...

Nova-Boy
27-03-03, 02:57 PM
Easy. The 1.2 does not have a "green" wire for the rev counter and does not have an oil pressure sender or wire in the engine (some have it on the loom taped up. Mine didn't). The rest will just plug straight in.

1. To do the rev counter just run a wire from the negative side of the ignition coil. Piggy back it off the spade that is not used. then plug the other end onto the rev counter connection.

2. Get an oil pressure sender from an SR or GTE. Found at bottom of the engine, drivers side. the 1.2 Will have one wire in it for the oil light. You need to swap the sender for the SR/GTE one, re-connect the oil light wire and run another wire from the sender to the oil pressure gauge in your dash.

Jobs done. Full Sr clocks with oil pressure and rev counter.

There is a guide to doing the oil pressure on nova land. PM me and i will send it you.

Get it done while the sun is still shining!! 8)

Dave
27-03-03, 03:19 PM
think you are talking about the early gte 6 clocks (speedo/rev/oil pressure/battery/temp/fuel)
i'm talkin about the later sr 4 clock (speedo/rev/temp/fuel)
(think) the plug on the back has to be swapped for the sr one then wired up to give the correct wires to the correct clocks.
i want to know if i keep the old plug which wires have to be swapped round to give the correct reading to the clocks as they aren't correct with just pluging in.

Ste_Nova
27-03-03, 04:27 PM
mk1 clocks will fit in a mk1
mk2 clocks will fit in a mk2

anything else will need plug swapping

Dave
27-03-03, 04:34 PM
when i got the new mk2 sr clocks i pluged them in my 1.2 mk2 an the fuel reading went over full, was told needed to swap the plug for an sr one as the wires weren't the same.
i'm confuzzled :?

Snowface
27-03-03, 09:04 PM
Right....
So there should be a green wire that is connected to the coil that is not used. I then just run this to the back of the clock (which is a six dial clock btw (SPEEDO - REV COUNTER - WATER TEMP - FUEL GUAGE - OIL PRESSURE AND VOLT METER)). And the oil pressure i didn't quite get. If you could direct me to that guide that would be great.

And if anyone can explain a bit more about the rev counter that would be nice. Thanks

Snowface
27-03-03, 09:19 PM
Right, i just looked oin the haynes manual. I know what and where the coil is. In section 4:8/9 it talks a bout a 'TDC sensor'. Is this the rev counter sensor?

Nova-Boy
28-03-03, 12:01 AM
Ok. So you got the part about the rev counter which is Run a wire from your coil to the spade on the clocks for the rev counter.

The oil pressure switch.

On a standard 1.2 nova it doesn't have a oil pressure gauge just an oil light yeah. The 1.2 has an oil light switch screwed into the bottom of the engine. This has one wire and goes into the loom for the oil light on the clocks.

The 1.3SR etc has an oil pressure gauge as well as a oil light. You need to get the oil pressure sender from one of the mentioned cars. Then unscrew the old one from your engine (with one wire going to it) and screw in the new one (needs two wires). Plug the wire from the old one back on (oil light switch) and run a new wire from it to you oil pressure gauge on your new clocks.

The guide for this is at www.nova-land.com under how to guides; engine; oil pressure something or other.

Do you get me?

Snowface
28-03-03, 09:10 AM
Thanks. I get what i need to do for the oil presure clock. But not the rev counter. Do i need a part off an SR for the rev counter to work? WHich spade do i run a wire from on the coil? Pictures?

Nova-Boy
28-03-03, 10:07 AM
Right. On the back of your clocks there is a spade by the rev counter. You need to run a wire from that spade to your ignition coil (passenger wheel arch in front of wiper wash tank). There will ba a big block connector on the ignition coil. The ignition coil has 4 spades. two sets of two. The two nearest the front of the car only has one wire going to it. The other spade is where you want to run your wire from.

Easy enough. Pull the blobk off the ignition coil. Feed your new wire through the block connector then crimp a female spade on. push your crimp onto the spade of the coil and then push the big block connector over the top connecting the other three wires to the coil. Job done.

I am at work at the moment so have no pics and am going away racing this weekend straight after work so i cant help you with pics till at least monday sorry.

Snowface
28-03-03, 10:32 AM
thanks. thats explained a lot. if you could post some pics mon/tues that would be cool.
cheeers

Nova-Boy
28-03-03, 12:05 PM
I will see what i can do mate. :D

Nova-Boy
31-03-03, 09:51 PM
I was at collage today till after it was dark (bloody night skool) so i will try and get a pic tomorrow for you if you still want one??

Snowface
31-03-03, 11:58 PM
cool yeah thanks. Is it hard to run through the bulkhead? Can i run it alongside the speedo cable?

Nova-Boy
01-04-03, 09:44 AM
I tie wrapped the new wire round the back of the wiper wash with the rest of the loom then through the bulk head with the speedo cable.
I pulled the speedo cable back a lil bit taped the new wire to it the pulled it through from the inside.

You might want to disconnect the speedo from the engine to get the clocks plummed in. It makes it easeir to fit.

You may need to re-route the speedo in your dash. Just feed it through the other side of a bracket behind your clocks. (You will see what i mean when you take them out) This is becasue the old speedo is in the middle but now it is at the left so it must pass the other side of the bracket. Easy done. A 5 second job but without doing it you wont get the speedo cable onto the back of your clocks.

I will get some pics tonight ok!

Nova-Boy
04-04-03, 12:30 AM
Finally got them on here!

http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=612
http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=611
http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=610

Not the best pics in the world but i hope they help

If you need any advice about the pics then get in touch!

Snowface
04-04-03, 10:01 PM
in pic 1 is that a picture behind the engine. And is that the oil pressure sender wire also taped in there?

And pic 2 i guess the rev counter wire is the red female conector clipped on the bottom right male connector on the coil?

Thanks a lot nova-boy.

Nova-Boy
04-04-03, 10:11 PM
no sorry pic 1 is showing the rev counter wire going through the bulk head with the speedo. do these help? any pics you need for the oil pressure gauge is on novaland i think.