PDA

View Full Version : Will a K&N air filter make any noticeable difference?

Snowface
26-03-03, 09:39 PM
If i get one of these for my 1.2 mk1 nova will it make a noticable difference? I mean like in power/acceleration.
Or will it just improve fuel efficiency and not enough power difference to notice?

mowgli
26-03-03, 09:47 PM
you'd get a couple of bhp, and your fuel usage won't go up much.

mikeoxford
26-03-03, 09:49 PM
If i get one of these for my 1.2 mk1 nova will it make a noticable difference? I mean like in power/acceleration.
Or will it just improve fuel efficiency and not enough power difference to notice?

IMPROVE fuel efficiency?

LOL

itll use more petrol as you will be drawing more air so drawing more petrol to improve performance, or summat like that ne way

u will notice a different noise about your car, and no GREAT performance gains i wouldnt have thought, although some of the best tried and tested filters in total vaux magazine were good.

response will be better from enegine

novax
26-03-03, 10:37 PM
The ideal air/fuel mix is 14.7/1 that's what your lambda sensor on newer cars is trying to maintain. Therefore if the carb/injection system can draw more air in then more fuel will be delivered. This gives you a good induction sound and allowing the engine to breath easier will give better responce. To be honest you'll see no real power increase but it'll drive nicer.

That is until the winter and your carb freezes.... keep your old air filter for the winter with it's warm air feed.

Nova_Tek
26-03-03, 11:05 PM
Well.. i know what your on about!

I got a MK1 1.2 too.

Like most of the lads said, you wont feel a difference in speed or masses of power but the engine will run smoother, sound better coz you'll here the carb suckin in the air when you floor it and it looks beter then that dustbn lid on your engine.

I havent yet seen what happens in the winter but I saw in Halfords sum engine treat ment that can prevent carb icing!

I say go for it!

rgv_stu
27-03-03, 11:18 AM
complete waste of money imo

just snap out the hot / cold tube off the airbox.

it will improve just like a k+n but without costing any money and when winter comes you can clip it back in

mikeoxford
27-03-03, 11:39 AM
drill some fat holes in the outter rim of your airbox and fit a performance replacement filter from k& n or similar..............

shanehandley
27-03-03, 01:18 PM
wot bit do you drill the holes in because i heard bout this but dont no what bit to drill and how many?

where can you get a performance air filter from?

rgv_stu
27-03-03, 01:37 PM
dont bother drilling

just break off the front piece

the hole is then plenty large enuf.

i have had k+n / no filter box / modded box etc

this way is the best i have found. saves money, makes it run better etc.