PDA

View Full Version : Extra battery earth on 1.2i.

Damo
22-12-09, 05:59 PM
Guys ive put my XE in now just come to wire up the starter obvioulsly thick red to starter and small to alternator but what about the earth that bolts to the starter bolt on a 1.2i do you just wire it to the bolt in another place as the starter bolts are m10 i think and the loop is an m8 iirc.:tard::confused:

comptoncj
22-12-09, 06:04 PM
Is that the earth for the alternator and starter circuit? My mates one was earthed on the back of the inlet manifold, If all else fails you could change it so it fits an m10 and put it in the origional place??

Damo
22-12-09, 06:11 PM
Yea thats the one mate comes form the battery earth connection used to bolt top of starter.

also would i need to bolt an earth onto the gearbox like the carb models used to hve or will i be ok without.

Benn
22-12-09, 07:45 PM
If it the battery connection ground then it still connects to the starter.

Yes you still need the gear box ground.

Damo
22-12-09, 07:49 PM
If it the battery connection ground then it still connects to the starter.

Yes you still need the gear box ground.

Yea benn theres two where the battery connection is theres one that bolts to the bulkhead then one runs down to the starter only thing is the bolt hole is smaller on the earth strap then the bolt on the starter.

Benn
22-12-09, 08:31 PM
Bit odd, can you bolt it to the bracket where the starter bolts to the block? They should both be suited for an m8 bolt.

Damo
22-12-09, 10:01 PM
Bit odd, can you bolt it to the bracket where the starter bolts to the block? They should both be suited for an m8 bolt.

No mate the bolt that bolts the starter is too big for the hole on the earth cable.

Benn
23-12-09, 07:51 AM
Just open it out a bit. As long as it bolted on tight your fine.

AlexW
23-12-09, 12:03 PM
Mine is just cable tied, I couldnt be arsed to **** around with it.