PDA

View Full Version : Protective paints.

Nova_Tek
21-12-09, 04:49 PM
Righty,

I'm in preperation of starting the build and I will be removing bits n pieces to get them protected from the elements whilst the Nova is not in-use. I want some info on what everyone has used on thier Nova to protect components and parts that are exposed to the elements. Stuff like fuel tanks, tie bars, rear ARB and other suspension gear, gearboxes etc you get the jist.

Before any one says so, I would love to get them professionally powder coated but my funds may not stretch that far.

I have been searching the interwebs on protectors and paints etc but there are so many out there and most of them I've never used so picking a good one is difficult. As always I want to hear recommendations from fellow users on PNG as many of us have used a wide variety of paints, finishes, brands etc and probably can easily recommend particular stuff from experience.

Pics to show quality of finish etc are welcome.

:thumb:

Pistol Pete
21-12-09, 05:18 PM
Hammerite. The underside is done in it, tank, rear beam, tie bars.....blah blah blah. CBA posting pics. Have a look in my WIP thread.

AlexW
21-12-09, 05:28 PM
+1 for hammerite. Not much else to use.

Nova_Tek
21-12-09, 05:38 PM
Can they be had in different finishes i.e gloss, matt etc

Pistol Pete
21-12-09, 05:46 PM
No. Hammered finish or just smooth.

Balley
21-12-09, 06:05 PM
Use a good red oxide and a good coach paint, far better than hammerite from experience!

vaughanmc
21-12-09, 06:34 PM
I'll be using Schutz then some Red Smooth Hammerite on the underside of my Mk1 and doing suspension components with Black Smooth Hammerite :)

Nova_Tek
22-12-09, 03:39 PM
Ok so hammerite is a good one to use as a finishing coat. Red oxide to protect it. I have used Schultz before and its good.

What about stone chip protection? What is a good one to use that is effective, dries to a hard and dry matt finish rather then tacky?

I have seen some Enamel paints that have been durable. I am considering doing all the protection then go over with a good quality tough finish so cleaning can be done easily when it gets mucky.

vaughanmc
22-12-09, 03:41 PM
Stone Chip you buy from Halfords or wherever supposedly shrinks

I'm going to Schutz/Grey Primer/Red Hammerite on the underside of the Mk1 then fill the cavitys with Waxoyl but I've been told 'Dinitrol' is better to use ?

Another one is to have it shot-blasted then done with 'Galva-froid' used on boats etc then done with a colour on top...Be expensive though

Nova_Tek
22-12-09, 03:47 PM
A good clean, then Shultz/stonechip, then finishing coat is what I plan. Don't think a gold underside would look too good tbh. I'm going for black.

Considering trying to pump shultz into cavities, let it dry off then use some black waxoyl in the cavties. For the stuff like tank and removable bits it will be etch primer after a good clean, then a stonechip or such and a finish with like an enamel which normally is rubbery and matt.

vaughanmc
22-12-09, 03:49 PM
I think a Gold underside would be nice mate as it's the same colour as the body of the car

Black is nice as well but looks ordinary after a wee while - Body colour stands out :)

Nova_Tek
22-12-09, 03:57 PM
I guess it would actually make it look 'cleaner' and highlight painted areas like the tank etc which will be in black. Hmm question is where can one find a good gold match thats not metallic and will be durable?

This stuff sounds interesting anyone heard or used it? Sound deadening sounds good.
http://www.bodyshopwarehouse.co.uk/category/gravi-guard

vaughanmc
22-12-09, 04:01 PM
Not too sure mate, you could get something mixed up surely ?

Nova_Tek
22-12-09, 04:05 PM
I could but would be nice to have it in a solid colour rather then metallic.

let_nova
22-12-09, 04:06 PM
have you tried contacting companies about coating? may be worth a few enquiries

vaughanmc
22-12-09, 04:06 PM
Not sure how Keith went about his as his is body colour underneath - I think it was sprayed but not sure what type of paint it is

Nova_Tek
22-12-09, 04:08 PM
Basically I would much prefer if its a close match gold thats gonna be a solid colour. Doing the underside in metallic gold and then a laquer finish is going to be very time consuming and cost a fair bit more for the laquer and gold needed.

IIRC hammerite do a gold don't they?

vaughanmc
22-12-09, 04:09 PM
I reckon they would mate, aye :)

let_nova
22-12-09, 04:09 PM
http://www.icipaints.co.uk/colours/hammerite/index.jsp

Nova_Tek
22-12-09, 04:19 PM
I checked the link and the Gold listed and shown on the smooth finishes page is almost exactly the same as the finish on the Nova - according to photoshop only a very slight difference.

Obviously it will slighty differ when sprayed but if the difference is as minimal as whats on screen then thats good enough.

Pistol Pete
22-12-09, 04:26 PM
Try the Hammerite...you might be surprised. The blue is almost an exact match for mine. Hell, the whole underside, wheel arches etc are done in it!!

Nova_Tek
22-12-09, 04:33 PM
I may do mate. Like I said its almost the same colour as my car when compared on photoshop, the hammerite one being a fraction darker.

How many cans of hammerite would I need to do the underside and arches as a finishing coat?

Pistol Pete
22-12-09, 04:36 PM
I used it from a tin. Poured some into a tray and used a mini foam roller!!! lol I cant remember exactly, but a 1l tin went quite far!

Nova_Tek
22-12-09, 04:39 PM
I'm more inclined to do it via spray can. A couple good coats should be fine I'd guess. So maybe 2/3 spray cans should do the trick. Like I sad it will only be for cosmetic reasons as the shultz/stonechip etc will be doing the protection.

Pistol Pete
22-12-09, 08:51 PM
Brush will cover better IMO. And if you are underneath the car (as i was) spray will not be even.!!!

Nova_Tek
22-12-09, 08:51 PM
Ok will take that into consideration Pete. Cheers :thumb:

Benn
22-12-09, 09:09 PM
Hammeright.