PDA

View Full Version : c16xe problems fault codes etc

16xe_chris
21-12-09, 11:58 AM
Firstly i have fitted the x16xe engine into my nova but used the c16xe wiring loom and sensors.

I got it fired up and it threw 2 fault codes up the first being the stepper motor icv, the second is the camshaft sensor.

I have bought 2 brand new sensors and fitted them, the car starts and ticks over nicely, but the ecu light is still on :confused: with the same codes being flashed up again?

It ticks over nicely untill the temp of the engine starts to warm up, as soon as it starts to get warm it doesn't want to idle and just conks out.

Any ideas on what it could be or how to removed the fault codes, i.e clear the ecu

I have a kill switch on the earth of the car so it disconnects the battery everytime it is switched off.

Need to get this mot'd very soon but i can't drive it anywhere yet:cry:

16xe_chris
22-12-09, 03:23 PM
I take it no one has any ideas???

I disconected the small square thing that has an air pipe going to it, think it was something to do with the charcole filter?? and i blanked off the air pipe going to it, now the fault code has gone for the idle control valve.

But i still have the camshaft/hall effect code?? is it possible that its the crankshaft sensor instead????

Someone must know or have had this problem before?

16xe_chris
22-12-09, 04:42 PM
Help!!!

comptoncj
22-12-09, 04:48 PM
It could be that the c16xe loom is disagreeing with the engine, you running an egr valve? ive known them to play up an cut cars out when warm. I havnt got much experience of 1600 16v in novas so i wouldnt really like to pin point where to look, but i know c20xes had two different looms and if you ran an engine with the wrong loom it fired up fault codes.

16xe_chris
22-12-09, 04:53 PM
It could be that the c16xe loom is disagreeing with the engine, you running an egr valve? ive known them to play up an cut cars out when warm. I havnt got much experience of 1600 16v in novas so i wouldnt really like to pin point where to look, but i know c20xes had two different looms and if you ran an engine with the wrong loom it fired up fault codes.

Any help is welcome at the moment as i'm nearly bald with stress :mad:

No egr valve is attached, i have got the lower x16xe manifold and a power box top part.

All of the sensors are what the c16xe would normally have, are the cam pulleys the same on a c16 and x16???????:tard:

AlexW
22-12-09, 05:44 PM
No problem with running a X16 on C16 stuff. No EGR on C16 btw.

I thought crank/camshaft sensor put them into limp-mode. Best thing you can do is check all the wiring, clean the sensors too. Without buying/swapping sensors its hard, as i found out the ECU tells you **** all.

Another thing to try is go back to old school, Tried changing th CTS?

comptoncj
22-12-09, 05:47 PM
You put a timing belt on it? Just thinking i knew of a z18xe that fired up the cam sensor code because the timing was out due to a incorrectly tensioned belt? Just a thought.

16xe_chris
22-12-09, 06:11 PM
You put a timing belt on it? Just thinking i knew of a z18xe that fired up the cam sensor code because the timing was out due to a incorrectly tensioned belt? Just a thought.

A vauxhall technician told me this yesterday, but when i bought the engine it had already been timed up by a race building company, even the cam cover had lock tags on there:tard:

16xe_chris
22-12-09, 06:14 PM
No problem with running a X16 on C16 stuff. No EGR on C16 btw.

I thought crank/camshaft sensor put them into limp-mode. Best thing you can do is check all the wiring, clean the sensors too. Without buying/swapping sensors its hard, as i found out the ECU tells you **** all.

Another thing to try is go back to old school, Tried changing th CTS?

I don't mind buying them if they cure the fault lol lol

I have bought new sensors though :roll:

Now i was thinking about the CTS sensor, as the engine only stalls when the temp guage hits the first notch on the dash, if this one was faulty does it not throw a code up??

AlexW
22-12-09, 06:16 PM
It might not. But baby xe's are gay. Mine still says imobliser even though i know its a combo of CTS/ICV/Lambda.

16xe_chris
22-12-09, 06:32 PM
It might not. But baby xe's are gay. Mine still says imobliser even though i know its a combo of CTS/ICV/Lambda.

lol lol well i don't have the ICV fault anymore after i removed the carbon filter thingy that has 2 wires going to it and stuck a bolt in the rubber hose:thumb:

Southie has just reminded me that we have already changed the CTS :confused:

16xe_chris
22-12-09, 06:49 PM
Although the CTS was second hand

Southie
22-12-09, 06:55 PM
Although the CTS was second hand
It worked okay on his though. We will try the one off mine matey ;)

16xe_chris
22-12-09, 07:05 PM
cheers matey

16xe_chris
24-12-09, 03:52 PM
Right i'm seriously getting funked off with this piece of crap :mad:

I have bought and fitted a new CTS and the problem is still there as soon as It starts to warm up then it just coughs farts and dies:confused: then i flash the codes up and its still saying camshaft/hall efect sensor?????

Could my ECU be fecked???

How can i test the wires to the cam sensor as when it was ticking over i unplugged it and it didn't make a blind bit of difference to the engine note:tard:

HELP!!!!!

16xe_chris
24-12-09, 04:56 PM
Does anyone think if i change the crankshaft sensor that would help???

AlexW
24-12-09, 05:32 PM
If it made no differance then it might be. Any chance of trying another one? Unless you dont mind buying a new one. I guess if you do that there is no need to worry about it in the future for a while.

All baby xe problems seem to be weird lol.

16xe_chris
24-12-09, 05:41 PM
If it made no differance then it might be. Any chance of trying another one? Unless you dont mind buying a new one. I guess if you do that there is no need to worry about it in the future for a while.

All baby xe problems seem to be weird lol.

I have a spare crankshaft sensor :tard: so i'll try that tomorrow and see if that helps?

Just spoken to an electrician friend and he seems to think it could be the crank sensor breaking down when the engine warms up:confused:

Weird isn't the name for it:mad: lol

Southie
24-12-09, 05:43 PM
1.6 8v FTW lol

16xe_chris
24-12-09, 05:48 PM
1.6 8v FTW lol

I'm going to have to do something to get an mot:confused:

Southie
24-12-09, 05:53 PM
Change the crank sensor and see what happens fella. I've another ecu to try if need be ;)

AlexW
24-12-09, 07:16 PM
Doubt its breaking down.

I really dont think its that though lol

16xe_chris
28-12-09, 09:54 PM
Doubt its breaking down.

I really dont think its that though lol

:mad: :mad: IT was all my fault :mad: :mad:

I wired the crank sensor to the lamba and vice versa lol lol what a knob, proper fail on the loom cutting ha ha

Megga rep to Southie who was first to spot my mistake:thumb: :wisewood:

Southie
29-12-09, 09:13 AM
Got there in the end mate :) wanna borrow my glasses :p