PDA

View Full Version : Spherical Top Mounts On a Road Car

Graeme
20-12-09, 04:20 PM
I just wanted to know if these are suited to a road car with the state of the roads here in the UK, I've been looking at the Comp Brake ones and obviously need to order my gaz coilovers to suit, I don't want the car to be harsh and stiff and have no experience with them, thanks for looking

yayoboy
20-12-09, 05:09 PM
i asked this also mate i think using them does stiffen it up from what iv been told, but allows you to adjust the camber

edit: i have told warren to extend the thread on mine so i have the option of running either, i think thats your best bet, as you can decide at any point

Graeme
20-12-09, 05:22 PM
I know mate but a lot on here have track cars or track inspired road cars but mines going to have a full interior and just want it as a fast road car so thought I'd best ask opinions before wasting 150 quid on a pair, cheers though Sean

yayoboy
20-12-09, 05:42 PM
in that case mate i wouldnt bother, the only real advantage that i can see you get from the top mounts is camber adjustment which only comes into play for track and or you car is lowered too much, how low you wanna take it gray?

Adam
20-12-09, 05:58 PM
If you are having Gaz coilovers then you cant be that bothered about a bit of a harsh ride...... Lol

Alloy top mounts do make it harsher but its still driveable....
But i know i wouldnt use mine as a daily drive road car.

IMO if you aint bothered about camber/castor etc, id stick with OE topmounts

Graeme
20-12-09, 06:12 PM
It'll probably be lowered about 90mm and I was only going to get them to correct the camber, if its noticably harsher I think I'll leave it.

Ad are the Gaz's overly harsh? I thought my Avo's were bad but I got told that was due to it being too low, they just banged a lot but had the correct poundage springs, starting to think about Billy's again now

Adam
20-12-09, 06:19 PM
Low AVOs always give a **** ride. Mine are to** if you run them lower than about 60mil.

Harshness will be down to spring choice!!

yayoboy
20-12-09, 06:22 PM
i would stick with gaz mate but, at that low you will probably have to look at the camber, but upon speaking to warren (gaz) he thinks camber bolts should sort it, £20 iirc. they are what im gonna try first of all, and if eventually i need the top mounts, ill have the provision there on my coilovers. also from what i gather if the cambers out you'll get uneven tyre wear and **** handling, so id try the camber bolts first, or wait and see how i get on with them lol!

Lee H
21-12-09, 10:41 PM
Spherical top mounts are thinner than standard though so will allow the car to run lower and still retain suspension travel.

If you are considering a 90mm drop you will need them as the shockers will be bottomed out otherwise.

bazil
22-12-09, 12:39 PM
the other benefit is that they are much stonger than the standard rubber jobs, so if you run a heavier engine like an XE or LET they dont get worn out, also they are a huge benefit with a quick rack as the top mount bearing helps with reducing the friction when the strut turns with the steering, if your going to drop by over 60 mm the top mounts wont make a difference in ride comfort, it will be brutall anyway.
i ran Billstien 2 1/4 inch group A tarmac on the front with 280 lb springs and eccentric top mounts, handles great but is pretty sore after a long drive.:thumb: