PDA

View Full Version : V.I.N plates.

Edd
20-12-09, 12:39 PM
The v.i.n plate that fits on the slam panel for my 84 sr is looking a bit worn and scratched. and faded.

iv fitted a new front panel and smoothed off all the indents/holes on the slam panel. The shell is going in for paint hopefully mid January.

When its back i am going to be reluctant to put it back on in the state its in.

Is there any way of getting the plate remade ? (thinking that might be illegal)

Was thinking of making my own, carbon plate, letters etc, again is that legal ?

Or just leaving it off, thinking that's also illegal !!

Anyone with any ideas, help ??

Thanks in advance.

Edd.

craig green
20-12-09, 12:46 PM
Carbon ones have been done. Pretty sure Nick J had one or two & I know Dave 'Fearless' did some years ago.

I fail to see whats illegal if the details on it are correct. I never put mine back on since the paint job in 2002.

Nova_Tek
20-12-09, 12:48 PM
I suppose if you have it remade then keeping the original one would be the for the best should any problems arise.

I would have thought it wasn't illegal. What would happen if a car was in an accident and the VIN badly messed up, a new one would probably be made at a guess.

AlexW
20-12-09, 12:49 PM
Perfectly legal to leave it off if your not planning on selling (iirc) without telling buyer

craig green
20-12-09, 12:56 PM
Surely if the chassis number on the floor pan & V5 are present, then seeing as the car has blatantly been painted, it wouldnt be a cause for any concern. Maybe rub down the old plate & get it painted with the bodyshell? Unless its bent?

Mike
20-12-09, 12:56 PM
You can buy blank VIN plates very easily.......

Just paint it satin black, both the VIN & other plate next to it.

Jack
20-12-09, 12:57 PM
Is there not two VIN plates? I always thought the second was somewhere on the sill. I was under the impression most cars had two so if one got removed/mashed, there's a second one.

I think it would be a custom job though. Either get a sheet of CF chopped to the right size and stick the information on (iirc thats how Nick J did it) or have a small square of stainless steel stamped up.

Mike
20-12-09, 12:59 PM
Aye, carbon sheet & some letra set lettering.

Letraset is how I done the "E16SE" script lettering on the stainless plate on my old inlet manifold.

craig green
20-12-09, 01:06 PM
Brett Warburton's old car or Martin Kelson's spring to mind as cars that have the carbon plates on. Maybe look for pics.

Bubba
20-12-09, 01:12 PM
Brett Warburton's old car or Martin Kelson's spring to mind as cars that have the carbon plates on. Maybe look for pics.

did he end up buying a BREAD van lol lol

craig green
20-12-09, 01:15 PM
No idea, but if you were into old skool PNG cars, like I am you wouldnt find that funny. :d

Jack
20-12-09, 01:17 PM
I found it funny. But then I'm not really into old PNG cars, so point proven I guess lol

Mike
20-12-09, 01:18 PM
Yep, I did LOL too lol

Bubba
20-12-09, 01:18 PM
thats the last time i try n crack a joke :(

Edd
20-12-09, 01:29 PM
cheers for info/help.

think either no plate or some sort of carbon jobbie for me.

sport
20-12-09, 02:36 PM
I think you can get new vins from vauxhall if you have the relevent paperwork.

Edd
20-12-09, 02:43 PM
I think you can get new vins from vauxhall if you have the relevent paperwork.

really ??

think i need to go down vauxhall tomorrow and speak to the parts chap if thats the case.

sport
20-12-09, 02:47 PM
really ??

think i need to go down vauxhall tomorrow and speak to the parts chap if thats the case.

Ive been told all you need is the logbook, if you go Edd let us know how you get on.

Edd
20-12-09, 02:50 PM
Ive been told all you need is the logbook, if you go Edd let us know how you get on.

no worries, il let you know.

i would prefer to get a new one if possible.

phazer
20-12-09, 03:15 PM
Its not quite as easy as popping down your local dealer. You need ALL of the paperwork which has to be faxed off to HQ IIRC, proof of ownership (not the V5) and I'm sure you have to prove your identity too.

Somewhere in the region of £100 and a lot of patience as it takes several weeks to arrive. I never bothered in the end - was going to get a nice new one made when the car was re-sprayed but just polished the original up in the end.

Edd
20-12-09, 03:22 PM
Its not quite as easy as popping down your local dealer. You need ALL of the paperwork which has to be faxed off to HQ IIRC, proof of ownership (not the V5) and I'm sure you have to prove your identity too.

Somewhere in the region of £100 and a lot of patience as it takes several weeks to arrive. I never bothered in the end - was going to get a nice new one made when the car was re-sprayed but just polished the original up in the end.

if it's that expensive i would not bother,

proof of ownership ? v5, is that not proof of ownership ?

Nick J
20-12-09, 03:28 PM
I did indeed make my own from carbon as per my wip thread. Easy enough to do and as far as Im aware perfectly legal as the plates carried the same information as the gm ones. But the best aftermarket ones Ive seen are on Andy Bishops car but I have no pics of them. Maybe worth giving him a pm to see if he can help. On another note new vin stickers/plates can be obtained as we have to get them for the cars we repair sometimes at work but they tend to take months! However Im unsure what the cost is. Overall Id say a carbon item is probably the easiest/cheapest/hassle free option Edd tbh.

Nick.

numptysport1
20-12-09, 03:39 PM
I got a new one from my local vauxhall garage , just give him my v5 and he took a copy of it , had a new one in about 3 to 4 weeks think it was about £50 .

Pistol Pete
20-12-09, 03:39 PM
I have bought a CF VIN plate for mine. GDN 16v was selling a load. All i'm going to do is get a local signwriters to put the basic info on it. The original i shall keep and fit else where. Under the carpet or something.

Edd
20-12-09, 03:44 PM
I got a new one from my local vauxhall garage , just give him my v5 and he took a copy of it , had a new one in about 3 to 4 weeks think it was about £50 .

thats sounds more reasonable.

Novasport
20-12-09, 04:28 PM
I got my new trim code plate done by Tag Plates in Nottingham, I know they do VIN plates aswell.
Website is www.tagplates.co.uk

amggsi
20-12-09, 05:00 PM
I got my new trim code plate done by Tag Plates in Nottingham, I know they do VIN plates aswell.
Website is www.tagplates.co.uk (http://www.tagplates.co.uk)

Do they look like the original Vauxhall ones?

I've a car that I've lost the plate for, wouldn't mind a new plate, but want one that look like the real thing!

sparkie1401
20-12-09, 05:39 PM
u need original VIN plate on car, i thought id lost mine and had a long conversation with the main dealer ref. a new one

phazer
21-12-09, 05:55 PM

I would suggest that wasn't via Vauxhall, probably one of the many that advertise in the back of mags etc

phazer
21-12-09, 05:57 PM
proof of ownership ? v5, is that not proof of ownership ?

Nope. Registered keeper is not necessarily the owner (lease cars, certain company cars etc).

amggsi
21-12-09, 06:29 PM
Nope. Registered keeper is not necessarily the owner (lease cars, certain company cars etc).

How do you actually prove you are the owner then? (Not having a go, just curious!!)lol

phazer
21-12-09, 08:33 PM
Not sure to be honest lol Just going on the DVLA info. I guess a receipt or something else. It's a bit of a strange one eh?

Ben
22-12-09, 03:49 PM
i can recommend tagplates too, excellent service.

numptysport1
22-12-09, 11:03 PM
I would suggest that wasn't via Vauxhall, probably one of the many that advertise in the back of mags etc
I would suggest that it was via vauxhall , Do you always check out the adds in the back of mags ;)

Benn
23-12-09, 07:58 AM
Is there not two VIN plates? I always thought the second was somewhere on the sill. I was under the impression most cars had two so if one got removed/mashed, there's a second one..

There's one stamped in the floor, but not anther plate like one.

phazer
23-12-09, 09:25 AM
I would suggest that it was via vauxhall , Do you always check out the adds in the back of mags ;)

That's not the price I was given when I enquired. Given that they charge £25 for a radio code I don't see how you get a VIN tag for £50 especially with the amount of effort and paperwork required. So they will probably use a local or generic tag supplier like tagplates (dealers don't have to use Vauxhall for everything you know).

Yeah always check the ads, see your mum is still pimping herself out lol

Ben
23-12-09, 09:28 AM
That's not the price I was given when I enquired. Given that they charge £25 for a radio code I don't see how you get a VIN tag for £50 especially with the amount of effort and paperwork required. So they will probably use a local or generic tag supplier like tagplates (dealers don't have to use Vauxhall for everything you know).

Yeah always check the ads, see your mum is still pimping herself out lol

I got one from fiat for £38 inc vat.