PDA

View Full Version : water probs

swedge
20-12-09, 01:58 AM
was out in the car tonight, was taking it easy with the snowy roads

turned the heaters on and it was cold

temp guage was nearly in the red

car had been running perfect since i bought it (2 days ago lol) temp always sat at half way

pulled over and switched engine off and checked the header tank, had lots of pressure and the water came out when i undone the cap slowly

i topped it back up with water and let it run for a bit with the cap off, it ran fine for a bit with the ep just under half the i started bubbling up again and going down then back up

then the water went away quickyly, topped it up again and it done the same up and down

ive left it there for tonight as its freezing outside

i forgot to put the blowers on full when letting it run

please dont say its the headgasket lol only had it 2 days, could it just be an airlock?

its only a 1.0 headgasket easy enough to do on it? never done one on ths small an engine lol

you can also feel theair bubbles in the system when is running

Annie
20-12-09, 02:12 AM
sounds like maybe an air lock if water is going up & down, Did you give the top radiator hose a sqeeze while topping up to remove any trapped air?

is it leaking from waterpump? any white smoke from exhaust? My heaters are blowing luke warm when im driving but i think thats due to such cold condtions. when you re-filled with water did you add any antifreeze as its bloody cold tonite you dont want add to your problems.

Im sure the guys on here will give you the symtoms if your headgasket has gone.

swedge
20-12-09, 11:15 AM
yeah i was squeezing the hose, the big hose from the water pump took a while to fill up

i hpe it is an air lock, it was 1am and i was in a little town so had no anti freeze with me so i could only put water in, it dis have anti freeze in before it though so it wasnt frozen

my heaters worked fine before this happened

swedge
20-12-09, 03:06 PM
are there any bleed screws?

Welsh Dan
20-12-09, 03:22 PM
The system is self bleeding. Just keep it running with the header tank cap off until the coolant is at the line in the tank and the fan has kicked in for a few minutes. If you're worried about the headgasket, check the dipstick and oil filler cap for mayo, and run a compression test on the cylinders.

swedge
20-12-09, 03:43 PM
yeah ill check the oil cap,

when i was filling it up last night it just kept bubbling up and down he finally disaperaing down the pipe

im guessing ill just keep doing that untill its fine

John
20-12-09, 03:49 PM
The system is self bleeding. Just keep it running with the header tank cap off until the coolant is at the line in the tank and the fan has kicked in for a few minutes. If you're worried about the headgasket, check the dipstick and oil filler cap for mayo, and run a compression test on the cylinders.

Dan is correct, the system is self bleed. However head gaskets can fail in more ways than simply mayoing the oil cap. Oil and water will only mix if the gasket goes between a water and oil way. It sounds to me like the gasket has gone, between a cylinder and a water gallery. easiest way to check imo is to carry out a block test (changes colour when combustion gases are present in the cooiling system) :thumb:

comptoncj
20-12-09, 03:51 PM
Definatly sounds like Head gasket issues to me. Do what John H said get a tester to make sure.

John
20-12-09, 03:53 PM
1.0 haed gasket is a simple job for a diyer imo. No cambelt to mess with!

Pistol Pete
20-12-09, 03:55 PM
And remember to top up with A/F aswell. Just water could freeze in the current temperatures!

swedge
20-12-09, 04:16 PM
the Recovery guy just called me and has had a look at the car where i left it

becuase is was 1am i had no ant freeze o put in when i was topping the water up so the water pipes have frozen lol

he said the lower pipes are solid but no water in he top pipes

whats the best way of defrosting my car lol

i dont have a garage to keep i either

he reckons it was just really low on water and not the HG but how he can tell i dont know lol

swedge
20-12-09, 04:27 PM
can someone explain to me about this engine lol

never had one as small and mines have always had an ohc

Pistol Pete
20-12-09, 04:42 PM
Could well be curtains for your engine. If the water in the head has frozen it might have cracked it, giving you more issues. Split rad and pipes? You could get a heat gun out lol

jimbob-mcgrew
20-12-09, 04:44 PM
what little i know about them ill pass on:

- instead of ohc, its an overhead valve design
- it has the inlet and exhaust ports, manifolds, both on one side of the head
- it uses an internal chain drive, rather than a cambelt
- half certain the dizzy uses the oldskool points and condenser
- 45 horse too if i remember

swedge
20-12-09, 06:08 PM
all is good now, recovery guy dropped the car off just now

had a squeeeze of the pipes and they werent solid but were a bit crunchy

i heated them up a bit to get rid of it and it worked, the place i left the car last night was out the way of the wind so wasnt frosty

i started the car and it started first time, the pipes warmed up but took a while for the big pipe from thewater pump to get working right

filled it up wit water and anti freeze and letit bubble over until i stopped doing it

took her for a test run and she runs perfect :)

im a happy chappy again lol, i bought this because my Punto Gt needs work so you can imagine how i felt when it broke down lol