PDA

View Full Version : fuel guage

swedge
19-12-09, 06:50 PM
just picked up a nova from archie on he and fuel gauge isnt working

i have a carb engine but he replaced the tank with a non carb tank

how do i acces the sender to check the wiring

i had a look under the rear seats and saw some wiring going to the tank but how do i access it?

swedge
22-12-09, 04:18 PM
right had a quick look under the car, couldnt see the sender anywhere

where abouts on the tank is it located

let_nova
22-12-09, 04:20 PM
should be the rear of the tank. look at the tank under the bach of the car. just behind the axle

--ToM--
22-12-09, 05:57 PM
lie down under car right hand side of the tank is a cirlce with a plug on it un plug it and get a flat head and a knocking stick and knock it in a circular motion to free it have a bucket handy tho lol

16xe_chris
22-12-09, 06:06 PM
just picked up a nova from archie on he and fuel gauge isnt working

i have a carb engine but he replaced the tank with a non carb tank

how do i acces the sender to check the wiring

i had a look under the rear seats and saw some wiring going to the tank but how do i access it?

I take it by this above you now have an injection tank??

If you do, get down behind the back of the car and look just behind where the axle is, i.e. back end of your petrol tank. You will see 2 wires going into a plug right next to the fuel outlet pipe. Unclip this plug and get a small piece of wire, insert this small piece of wire one end into one wire the other end into the other wire to create a loop off your main wiring, then turn on the ignition and see if your gauge goes up on the dash. If the guage goes right the way up to full then the sender in the tank is dead, if the fuel guage doesn't move with my method its the clocks that need replacing:thumb:

pm me if you need help with anything

swedge
22-12-09, 08:11 PM
cheers ill have a look tomorrow

whe i turn the ignition on the fuel guage does move but ery slowly and only slightly on the right hand side of the red

the previous owner said it worked fine but im not sure if that was before he changed the tank

Bubba
22-12-09, 10:15 PM
might be a silly thing....is there much fuel in it?

Southie
22-12-09, 10:23 PM
I suspect that this is happening due to a carb tank not having a swirl pot in the tank. In the injection tanks they have one so when the tank gets low or when cornering the car float won't be all over.

Put £20 of fuel in and see what happens. I think it will go up to the three quarter mark.

Also do you know anyone who has another set of dials that you could try?

General Lee
23-12-09, 03:36 PM
I suspect that this is happening due to a carb tank not having a swirl pot in the tank. In the injection tanks they have one so when the tank gets low or when cornering the car float won't be all over.

Put £20 of fuel in and see what happens. I think it will go up to the three quarter mark.

Also do you know anyone who has another set of dials that you could try?

where do you buy your fuel?

swedge
27-12-09, 08:25 PM
lol i put £25 in the day i bought it and it only moved just above the red

il try and find someone with a set of clocks to try

if it is because its an injection tank wheat can i do to get it to work?

mowgli
28-12-09, 09:16 AM
the tank senders all wear out eventually.

swedge
30-12-09, 03:03 PM
right i checked the plug on the tank and it looks fine so it must be the sender or the clocks

Archie
08-02-10, 05:05 PM
Just noticed this on here, i fitted the sender out of the carb tank when i changed it as it has a different wiring plug

swedge
08-02-10, 06:11 PM
hmm, im guessing the clocks then