PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 into 1.2

DARKFORCE_76
25-03-03, 10:57 PM
just want to know if i can use the origanl carb fuel lines or if i will need differant ones and i did not get the fuel pump of the GTE so does anyone know of one i could get instead of the orignal pump, probably one that bolts in the engine bay or something.
Cheers :D

mikeoxford
26-03-03, 12:32 AM
you need bigger PSi injection fuel lines and also a fuel injection tank.

Neil.
26-03-03, 01:18 AM
ive got my 1.2 injectors on my 1.6 astra engine, not the best thing to do but ive no money to change it. and mot is coming up soon, i know its gonna fail!

locky
26-03-03, 04:55 PM
Sorry bout this Mike but im gonna have 2 correct u! u do not need a tank coz im running a 1.6 with a 1.2 carb tank! yes u do need the fuel lines!
Im getting a tank meade up so that im running all the correct gear!
What u will find with not changing the tank is if u turn sharp/fast on low fuel, it starves the engine!

Adam Moran
26-03-03, 07:21 PM
Im getting a GSI lump fitted next month into mu k 1.2i - will the engine run with the 2 fuel pipes it all ready has?

What else will i need? apart from Brakes, Exhaust? will i need fuel tank?

Aragorn
26-03-03, 08:18 PM
the 1.2i tank and lines will work fine with the GTE engine

mowgli
26-03-03, 09:36 PM
a gte tank would help, but you can get away with a 1.2 carb tank.
the 1.2 carb uses a 8mm feed pipe, and a 6mm return pipe.
disconnect them, and re-use your old feed pipe as the return, and get some new pipe for the feed. you can get some nylon pipe from a truck workshop/spares shop but check it is ok for petrol, or you could use 8mm copper pipe as used in central heating, from a diy store.

remember you only have to do this job once so make it as good as you can afford.

Always place the pump as close to the tank as possible.
1. it is noisy
2. if you run it dry due to hard cornering, it recovers quicker and does not air lock
3. apparently the pump surges and could cause the injectors to misbehave if you have it too close to them.

Have fun & don't get petrol in your eye like I did, it effing well hurts

mikeoxford
26-03-03, 09:38 PM
Sorry bout this Mike but im gonna have 2 correct u! u do not need a tank coz im running a 1.6 with a 1.2 carb tank! yes u do need the fuel lines!
Im getting a tank meade up so that im running all the correct gear!
What u will find with not changing the tank is if u turn sharp/fast on low fuel, it starves the engine!

what i meant by my reply is what you put

it will work

but you need the injection tank really, as otherwise you will find, exactly like u said, it will starve around corners etc etc

so yes you are correct, and i didnt explain myself properley bud

intentions were good tho :D

DARKFORCE_76
26-03-03, 10:17 PM
ok thanks for the help. can anyone recommend a make of fuel pump i could use? i have seen some pumps from Rally Design but not sure which one i need cause they run at differant PSI.

Snowface
26-03-03, 10:20 PM
Is putting a 1.6 16valve into a 1.2 non injection much more complicated than putting an 8v?
Also can you run carbrettors on a 1.6 engine that was meant to use injectors? Then does that mean you don't require an ECU? Do you just use a inlet manifold off a carb model?

Sorry for all the questions but in the future i'd like to put a 1.6 in mine.

novax
26-03-03, 10:47 PM
Vauxhall used a standard fuel pump for several years, any Mk3 Cavalier or Mk2 Astra pump will do you. it'll bolt in the correct place as all Nova floorpans start life the same, might have to drill some holes though. The fuel pressure regulator on your engine will sort it all out.

The GTE/GSi fuel tank has what's called a swirlpot in it. It's designed to keep the pump supplied with fuel under cornering.

Check out my link below and go to Injection systems, lots of info there.

locky
27-03-03, 10:09 PM
We r both rite Mike :D and yeah intentions wer good! as for the fuel lines, usin rubber/nylon lines, may cause them 2 collapse! but the pressure from the pump isnt all that high is it?