PDA

View Full Version : Think I've killed me steering

wwmnw
18-12-09, 12:51 AM
It wont take a genius to figure out how this came about but I'll tell anyway.

Did a handbrake turn in an empty carpark (last time ever) and I hit a curb with the front drivers side wheel, it seems to have knocked the tracking well out and the brake pedal sunk to the floor but its now fine and works as it was before I was a ****.

Its hard to explain this but, the tracking was out a little bit before and it pulled slightly to the right, now the tracking is way out and it pulls to the right worse than before but then it gets to a certain point and its as if someone is snatching the steering wheel to the right.

What the **** have I done :cry:

Annie
18-12-09, 12:54 AM
boys will be boys!!

wwmnw
18-12-09, 12:55 AM
I've learned my lesson for this year.

Annie
18-12-09, 12:59 AM
depends how hard you hit the kerb, in feb this year I hit a kerb in the snow around 10mph but just knocked the tracking out abit, anymore than that & you have most likely bent an arm or tierod. best get the tracking checked & go from there. lesson learned :)

scott.parker
18-12-09, 01:13 AM
Possibly broke the rack from the bulk head? if not might have bent lower arm/track rod?

wwmnw
18-12-09, 01:14 AM
I got me head under and didn't see nothing snapped or split, checked the brake lines too and couldn't find a split so no idea why the brake pedal went down like the titanic.

What bugs me is the fact it really snatch's to the right, I noticed this as the tracking was out so let go of the steering wheel to see if I was imagining things and it snatched to the right while driving (around the car park)

AlexW
18-12-09, 09:01 AM
Bent cross member. Brake pedal might have sunk when the wheel moved and the brake pipe got stretched.

nova-taken
18-12-09, 12:04 PM
pedal may have sunk under the shock, my old corsa use to do it if i pulled off too fast highly dangerous but great for scaring passengers

how do the wheels sit on the floor? is it pushed in at all? at an angle? too far back/ forward in the arch? i ask because my mate had a similar accident in his old nova and completely bent the turret

Nova_Tek
18-12-09, 12:37 PM
Did a handbrake turn in an empty carpark (last time ever) and I hit a curb with the front drivers side wheel, it seems to have knocked the tracking well out and the brake pedal sunk to the floor but its now fine and works as it was before I was a ****.

Dude why? :roll:

brucer
18-12-09, 12:42 PM
Dude why? :roll:

hes bringing back the 90's nova driver.:thumb:

Nova_Tek
18-12-09, 12:45 PM
What middle aged / OAP female driver?

bmw156
18-12-09, 12:46 PM
sounds like what i did, my money is on the lower arm bent. or strut top ( which i didnt do) lol

wwmnw
18-12-09, 12:57 PM
pedal may have sunk under the shock, my old corsa use to do it if i pulled off too fast highly dangerous but great for scaring passengers

how do the wheels sit on the floor? is it pushed in at all? at an angle? too far back/ forward in the arch? i ask because my mate had a similar accident in his old nova and completely bent the turret

Wheels sit fine on the floor, and I cant see anything bent. Will have another look.

Nova_Tek, get off your high horse, we've all done it :roll:

Nova_Tek
18-12-09, 01:07 PM
I must be the only one that hasn't!

L14MNP
18-12-09, 01:08 PM
I never have either. lol

[James May]With your beige trousers on it should never happen.[/James May]

Nova_Tek
18-12-09, 01:10 PM
Me & L14MNP FTW :) ;) :d

L14MNP
18-12-09, 01:12 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Nova_Tek again.

lol. Don't go mad (or if you do, make sure you have fast reactions and can pedal the car to a reasonable standard) find somewhere with plenty of run off room and you'll be right IMO.

Nova_Tek
18-12-09, 01:15 PM
+rep to you L14MNP

wwmnw
18-12-09, 01:16 PM
I didn't post this to be told I'm a **** and find out who has and hasn't done hand brake turns in the snow :)

Nova_Tek
18-12-09, 01:20 PM
Didn't say you were a **** dude I just asked why :p

wwmnw, you managed to find out what the damage is?

L14MNP
18-12-09, 01:21 PM
Neither did I :(

What's the LD bro?

wwmnw
18-12-09, 02:36 PM
LD? Well there is no visible damage and I haven't got a jack and tools at my house to get the wheel off/have a good inspection so its going to have to wait for now.

mayhem
18-12-09, 02:41 PM
youve bent an arm.

cheap to replace, $@$%^#%& job to do when there's a c20xe in it..

wwmnw
18-12-09, 02:42 PM
Lol thankfully I've still got a small block in place :)

L14MNP
18-12-09, 03:09 PM
Low down lol.

Fingers crossed it's nowt major. It can't be, it's a Nova! :)

Hit us with the 411 as and when. thumbsupemoticon

wwmnw
18-12-09, 03:11 PM
It'll be a couple of weeks yet, when I get paid :cry: still drives alright, it only snatches when I take both hands off the wheel and obviously that isn't the done thing when driving anyway lol

L14MNP
18-12-09, 03:13 PM
Come on MSN sweet cheeks x

Southie
18-12-09, 03:16 PM
Watch for tyre wear if your still using it. You'll end up making them probably bald on the front inners.

I've handbraked my old nova in the snow before :d awesome, didn't hit anything though. (now grown up) only handbrake the wifes lol

wwmnw
18-12-09, 03:18 PM
Watch for tyre wear if your still using it. You'll end up making them probably bald on the front inners.

I've handbraked my old nova in the snow before :d awesome, didn't hit anything though. (now grown up) only handbrake the wifes lol

EPIC LOL at that

craig green
18-12-09, 04:19 PM

As above, personally I'd get down under the fr end & look for any stress marks in the bottom arm (TCA) the mounting point on the chassis leg, also the cross member end aswell & the track rods (rack to knuckle) . maybe stick up some side on & frontal pics. Surely the camber or inclination of the wheel should look 'off'.

btw everyone should try handbrake turns in their car, how can you get a feel for car control if you havent felt a slide & controlled it. Not the sort of thing to impress the ladies, but pretty harmless IMO.

Nova_Tek
18-12-09, 04:21 PM
No need for a handbrake in the snow though is there :)

Mike
18-12-09, 04:22 PM
Bent a steering arm on the rack aswell as bent the lower ball joint?

EDIT: Many moons ago, when i was just a apprentice chav, a mate if mine was hand braking his Corsa SRi on christmas eve in the snow & managed to plough it into a fully loaded skip totalling the rear end. He then fixed it & new years eve smashed into the back of a taxi caving in the front lol lol

brainsnova
18-12-09, 04:36 PM
i have not even be tempted to even try a power slide, my old asbo defo done the trick lol

jimbob-mcgrew
18-12-09, 04:38 PM
how the hell did u hit one of the front wheels doing a handbrake turn lol
normally the back end is the bit doing the mooving

L14MNP
18-12-09, 04:39 PM
If you lose a slide it's perfectly possible.

LMAO @ your mate Mike!

Nova_Tek
18-12-09, 04:39 PM
lol ^

jimbob-mcgrew
18-12-09, 04:41 PM
LMAO @ your mate Mike!

^ lol i missed that one, heheh, sounds like one wrecked corsa

craig green
18-12-09, 04:45 PM
No need for a handbrake in the snow though is there :)

Snow chains & a Limited slip diff. :d

Mike
18-12-09, 04:46 PM
LMAO @ your mate Mike!

Oh yes, hes a tool big time, i dont speak to the dick anymore after some grief i got about stealing a parking meter some years ago.

He sold it an bought a 306 TD which he blew the engine on, sold that for a TD newer style Vec (52 reg IIRC) which he wrecked, then got an EP3 Civic which converted to a 3 wheeler by pulling out on loaded up HGV :d

L14MNP
18-12-09, 04:51 PM
lol. I have severed all links with muppets like that too.
One particualr ex-mate crashed his Clio 16v (front wheel no less). trying to handbrake it on a wet roundabout Smashed a turbine rim, shattered the wing, bent strut and subframe and the proceeded to kick the doors in and mirrors off, the mirrors dangled by the loom so he tore them off an threw them. lol lol

I missed the crash but was there for the aftermath. Same guy would always smash his own stuff etc and then cry 'Whys it always my fcukin gear?!'
Priceless!

CG, I want snow chains. lol

wwmnw
18-12-09, 04:51 PM
I'll try and get under tomorrow morning and take some pics as I'm off to work in a short few but all I have is a scissor jack which I don't fancy using in this weather, and I cant get my fat head under a -40mm car :(

Mike
18-12-09, 04:53 PM
lol you have toolage mates too then lol

My dad has some snow chains here from his old radio truck, Bedford RL :) 70/80's military mobil lol

wwmnw
19-12-09, 01:07 PM
Not the best of pictures but I don't see anything wrong.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/lostboy_014/SDC10247.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/lostboy_014/SDC10248.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/lostboy_014/SDC10249.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/lostboy_014/SDC10250.jpg

craig green
19-12-09, 01:08 PM
Those pics really dont show feck all tbh.

wwmnw
19-12-09, 01:11 PM
True, but the jack slipped and got stuck under the car so I couldn't do any better :(

craig green
19-12-09, 01:15 PM
Nice snow however.

wwmnw
19-12-09, 01:18 PM
Would one care to buy some?

CoolTiger
19-12-09, 01:23 PM
i hit curb strut top lowe arm tie bar wheel cross member :)

Spudly
19-12-09, 01:25 PM
Get it to your local quick fit type place and get your tracking checked, will only be about £10-20 and they will get it up on a ramp and if you ask nicely most places will let you have a nosey under it so you can see whats wrong if anything, yourself:thumb:

wwmnw
19-12-09, 01:27 PM
No money at the minute :cry:

Spudly
19-12-09, 01:29 PM
Beg steal or borrow some from your mummy:thumb:

L14MNP
19-12-09, 09:12 PM
No money at the minute :cry:
Told ya yesterday man. Just go to Tyrespot/Kwikfit etc and they will let you have a deeks FOC IMO (LOL)

Nobby
20-12-09, 05:53 PM
we need videos of said crash!! i have done that before lost it x2 in the snow once i hit a kurb and least year went wheel spinning into my college car park and ended up playing tag with a land rover 1 new wing and a pulled out bumper and my arsehole in my hands i learnt my lesson hehe id still have aplay on a empty car prak though hehe! as said needs to go up on a ramp ideally and have a nosey!

Joe Richardson
20-12-09, 06:04 PM
I was doing handbrake turns in 'Toys r us' carpark last night in my corsa,luckly i didn't manage to hit anything:d

wwmnw
21-12-09, 12:41 AM
Situation has got worse, don't want to make a new thread either as I think its related to this, brake pedal now travels far, not all the way to the floor but not that far off, it does stop me OK but it doesn't really grip very well til its at the bottom.

It does help if I pump the pedal, I'm using 2.0 16v discs and calipers, could this be air in the lines?

Also the car was vibrating like F*CK on the way to work :(

Jack
21-12-09, 01:11 AM
Is the brake fluid level ok?

wwmnw
21-12-09, 01:21 AM
Looked normal last time I checked (day after I hit the curb)

Nobby
21-12-09, 06:51 PM
rear cylinder popped ;)

Ash
21-12-09, 11:15 PM
Money spent now checking the damage is probably going to save you money soon anyway. If somethings wrong you'll end up paying for tyres. My money is on the wishbone. I twisted one whilst sliding sideways up a cut curb at speed when I was a young'in :wtf:

Also I did experiance a similar problem with the brake pedal when I hit a differant curb (god I sound like a bad driver) Never got to the bottom of it as it only happened immediately afterwards and never again. To be safe though it wouldn't hurt to bleed the brakes, maybe even change the fluid if it hasn't been done recently. Not that many people do, but your supposed to change it every two years.

EDIT: rear wheel cylinder could be a good shout tho as I seem to remember I had one, maybe both replaced for the MOT that year. Cheap enough for your safety, think I pay about £8 each

wwmnw
21-12-09, 11:25 PM
So its either wishbone, bottom arm, track rod end or cross member? These seem to be the most common answers anyway.

Brake fluid was changed when the new discs and calipers were put on, which was about 5 months ago tops. Sick of this car now :cry: want a Cavalier 4x4 turbo :) shame I cant afford one :cry: