PDA

View Full Version : Total Vauxhall gearbox article

stevorally
25-03-03, 08:25 PM
Can anyone help? Has Total Vauxhall magazine recently done any articles about gearboxes? I need info on stripping and rebuilding F10 and F13 boxes.
Anything they have done on geaboxes in the past would also be appreciated. If there is any thing I would be happy to buy the mags from people or If you would prefer to scan in the article and then e-mail that would be great.

Thanks in advance

Stevo

CP
25-03-03, 08:54 PM
lol i can feel an article coming on.

Briefly :lol: :roll:

F10 F13 F15 share the same basic internal designs and dimensions.
This means that you can swap bits about between them- eg crown wheel and pinions or different clusters.
The gears themselves are installed as a complete " cluster" and located and secured on the gearbox end plate. If you undo this plate you can withdraw the whole lot out of the box. As regards the gearing itself there's not a lot you can do since the gears on the input shaft are not removable. You need to get another complete cluster to change ratios. The synchromesh assemblies can be overhauled if you want.

The crown wheel and differential are in a separate housing with the drive shafts going into it.

[/img][/url]

stevorally
26-03-03, 07:35 AM
So can I take the cluster from my F10 out and fit the complete cluster from a F13CR or would it be easier to just swap the boxes? I want to use my F10 4.18 CWP in a F13 CR box.

CP
26-03-03, 09:41 PM
Yes, whilst the cluster is out swap the pinions over ( the last cog on the output shaft which engages with the crown wheel thru a hole into the final drive housing).

Swapping the box over is probably a bit easier as you dont need to mess about draining oil out and re-sealing gaskets etc. Theres' not a lot in it either way really?

stevorally
26-03-03, 10:13 PM
Thanks mate, you've been a great help. :D

PE4
27-03-03, 11:08 PM
So is it possible to change the final drive on my F13 with one from an F10? I ask this as I used to have an F10, but now have an F13. The F13 is better for me through to 4th, but 5th is not good for me, so I want a ratio like the one in my F10.....

Ta

stevorally
28-03-03, 07:57 AM
If you want great acceleration the best box to use is the F13CR GTE box, then fit it with the 4.53 final drive. If you can find a 4.53 for reasonable money your doing well, i've found one but the guy wants ?150, stupid!! I'm not sure what it was fitted to as standard but i've heard it was in a Astramax diesel but i'm not sure.

mikeoxford
28-03-03, 11:06 AM
im using a gte box at present

F13 CR

i like it.............