PDA

View Full Version : Wine...

Mike
16-12-09, 07:14 PM
Right, so, I was in Asda earlier making a start at christmas shopping an stumbled on the wine isle. Millions of bottles of the fecking stuff with all kind of fancy names & lables an shizzle.

And loads of poeple picking up bottles, reading them, starring at them, then putting them back down?? Whats all that about??

Theres me, standing there like the lemon I am, picking up random bottles that i liked the look off, give em a shake, look at the price, umm & ahhh then chuck them in the trolley.

Is there an art to buying wine, as i only buy the bottles that i like the look of labels.

Or I am doing it wrong??

Spudly
16-12-09, 07:17 PM
Wine buying, youre doing it wrong lol

Mike
16-12-09, 07:18 PM
Wine buying, youre doing it wrong lol

Whats the right way? Or am i totally missing the point of this wine stuff??

Fester
16-12-09, 07:19 PM
They taste a hell of a lot different depending on where the vines are grown blah blah. Also a lot of the bottles will have a small 'guide' on as some are more appropriate for certain settings than others i.e. 'works well with red meat' so you can give something a go for your occasion even if you've never heard of it before.

My favourite* is anything from the Southern hemisphere or 'new world', don't particularly like the French stuff!

*never drinking again after last Friday though lol

Nova-rich
Amen to that bud!!! i dont know what other people do but for me its which ever jumps out at me, started on wine wi mates when money got tight still dont know alot about it except some taste ok and some taste like vinager

Spudly
Err i think youre supposed to find one you like, red, white, rose, then try a few varying ones and stick to the ones you like, they reckon the more expensive it is then the better it will be but im sure thats crap lol

Mike
16-12-09, 07:23 PM
MAN, Its only wine? How can it be so damn confusing :S

I seem to have ended up with a bottles that says...

Alcohol Abuse Is Dangerous To Your Health

AND....

Best served as an aperitif or with seafood dishes & pasta

But at least the label looks ace :)

Its from W.O Western Cape. Wine of South Africa. Is that good or bad?

let_nova
16-12-09, 07:25 PM
http://really-useful.y2u.co.uk/Food/Ru_Food_055_Wine_Choice_A1.html

Spudly
16-12-09, 07:25 PM
Oh well even if it tastes like soap youve got your statutory warning so you know its alcohol youre drinking and the label will make you smile as you drink it lol

Fester
16-12-09, 07:26 PM
Best served as an aperitif or with seafood dishes & pasta

Right, so this is what people are standing there reading lol lol lol

Mike
16-12-09, 07:26 PM
http://really-useful.y2u.co.uk/Food/Ru_Food_055_Wine_Choice_A1.html

That links ace!! Theres a thing in there about how a Chocolate fountain works!!

Mike
16-12-09, 07:27 PM
Right, so this is what people are standing there reading lol lol lol

Ah, valid point......

Fester
16-12-09, 07:31 PM
Its from W.O Western Cape. Wine of South Africa. Is that good or bad?

It'll be fine :thumb: The Saffers stuff is usually light and drinkable :d

Mike
16-12-09, 07:33 PM
It'll be fine :thumb: The Saffers stuff is usually light and drinkable :d

South African Arniston Bay its called. Looks smart as fook thought :)

Fester
16-12-09, 07:36 PM
Tasty (http://www.arniston-bay.com/WineLanding.asp)

I think you should drink it now and report back lol

Stuart
16-12-09, 07:52 PM
I are a wino, but Dont go into reading the labels and all that.

1) pretty picture/logo
2) NOT from France (unless a Medoc)
3) NOT white
4) more than £4 but less than £10 (unless on offer lol)

wine WIN

Mike
16-12-09, 07:55 PM
1) pretty picture/logo - Teacher says Tick
2) NOT from France (unless a Medoc) - No Tick
3) NOT white - Tick
4) more than £4 but less than £10 (unless on offer lol) - Tick

Mike
16-12-09, 07:57 PM
Tasty (http://www.arniston-bay.com/WineLanding.asp)

I think you should drink it now and report back lol

Top man! I currently have (amognst others) a Bottle of that Reef stuff here :thumb:

This one > http://www.arniston-bay.com/productDetail.asp?intWineID=93

A smart, simplistic label basically sold it to me lol kinda describe my good self LOL!!

blue_peg_16v
16-12-09, 08:01 PM
its wet and alcoholic i go on alcohol content has to be at least 13% lol which ive just notice from that link yours is so win lol

Jack
16-12-09, 08:08 PM
Whats the matter lagerboy, scared you might taste something? lol

Arniston Bay is ok I find IF its a named grape - stay away from wines thats don't openly advertise what grape they are IMO.

My favourite at the moment is Hardy's Nottage Hill shiraz cabernet. Asda had it on their 3 for £10 a while back lol

I like new world stuff (Australia, California, Chile etc), some Italian and some German. Do NOT like french stuff, every single frogjuice I've had to date has tasted like vinegar with no body at all. Jacobs Creek make nice whites but their reds are turd.

I wasa told two wine "tricks"; the indentation on the bottle is a good gauge of the wine - flat bottomed bottles tend to be crap wines, whilst large indents are good. Not sure how true it is, but all the wines I liked did indeed have big indents. Mind you, I've had a few crap ones too. Second is when picking from a wine menu, avoid the second to cheapest - apparently people choose this as they don't want to seem cheap by picking the least expensive one, so go one up. Restaurants then make this one the naff cheapy crap wine lol

[edit] As for alcohol, I would expect a good white to be 12.5%; a red to be 14%.

Stuart
16-12-09, 08:10 PM
Whats the matter lagerboy, scared you might taste something? lol

Hes not gone for hobgoblin you mong :p

Arniston Bay is ok I find IF its a named grape - stay away from wines thats don't openly advertise what grape they are IMO.

My favourite at the moment is Hardy's Nottage Hill shiraz cabernet. Asda had it on their 3 for £10 a while back lol

I like new world stuff (Australia, California, Chile etc), some Italian and some German. Do NOT like french stuff, every single frogjuice I've had to date has tasted like vinegar with no body at all. Jacobs Creek make nice whites but their reds are turd.

I wasa told two wine "tricks"; the indentation on the bottle is a good gauge of the wine - flat bottomed bottles tend to be crap wines, whilst large indents are good. Not sure how true it is, but all the wines I liked did indeed have big indents. Mind you, I've had a few crap ones too. Second is when picking from a wine menu, avoid the second to cheapest - apparently people choose this as they don't want to seem cheap by picking the least expensive one, so go one up. Restaurants then make this one the naff cheapy crap wine lol

[edit] As for alcohol, I would expect a good white to be 12.5%; a red to be 14%.

New world FTW

Although spanish Rioja/Temprinillo is win when feeling in a manly mood.

Jack
16-12-09, 08:15 PM
Hes not gone for hobgoblin you mong :p
I know, but its a quote I like to use whenever people ask about anything that isn't Stellerlingmers 16XX

Hmm, forgot spanish. I had a Rioja once and it tasted like shoite, funnily enough it was chosen by someone who was a self-confessed "wine expert". And yes, it was the second-to-cheapest on the menu. LOL

Stuart
16-12-09, 08:21 PM
Riojas are funny creatures... hard to find a good one, but once found they are amazing

Jack
16-12-09, 08:22 PM
Any good ones I can pick up from the local Asda and try? lol

Stuart
16-12-09, 08:27 PM
not that I can remember lol (sign of a good wine)

saying that though, M&S sparking Merlot approx £8 a bottle.... Fridge overnight, drink WIN

Fester
16-12-09, 08:56 PM
Totally pointless trying to find wine value in a restaurant; follow the sommelier's recommendation, take it up the ass and enjoy it bitch!

Mike
16-12-09, 09:04 PM
RJ is quite the wine conniseur no?? lol lol

Some interesting things here about wine, if thats your bag lol

The Reef bottle i was on about earlier is now bagged ready for a christmas "thank you" for a good female friend of mine. Of which ill be sharing it with her saturday afternoon prior to shopping in Manc land lol so ill report back to you Fester on wether its pants or not, altho it does has a mahoooosive indentation in the base?

Jack
16-12-09, 09:07 PM
RJ is quite the wine conniseur no?? lol lol
Far from it, I just know what I like. Not afraid to say if I think one tastes like monkey pee too :d

Mike
16-12-09, 09:08 PM
Far from it, I just know what I like. Not afraid to say if I think one tastes like monkey pee too :d

Defiently a wine conisuer in my books.

I buy purely on pretty pictured labels, therefore I know fcuk all lol lol wheras you know loads of long words wine related so your obviously considerably smarter then I, with regards to wine'age lol lol

Stuart
16-12-09, 09:12 PM
I purchased a bottle of YGAY from the posh bit in tescos (you know the rack where they are on their back and start at £10 a bottle)... twas £15, I saved it to celebrate amber arriving. EPIC let down of a wine :( Funny names arent always good wines lol

Mike
16-12-09, 09:13 PM
I purchased a bottle of YGAY from the posh bit in tescos (you know the rack where they are on their back and start at £10 a bottle)... twas £15, I saved it to celebrate amber arriving. EPIC let down of a wine :( Funny names arent always good wines lol

Fcuk, ill have to remember that as it had crossed my simple mind lol

Hobbit
16-12-09, 09:13 PM
Frog red from Bordeaux is yummy

Most expensive bottle of wine i've drunk is a 1985 Dom Perignon pink bubbly.

Also got a few bottles of 1982 (birth year) desert wine in my rack, taste more like port than wine though

Fester
16-12-09, 09:14 PM
I think if anything is to be concluded from this it's stay the **** away from French lol

Hobbit
16-12-09, 09:17 PM
I think if anything is to be concluded from this it's stay the **** away from French lol

Except reds from bordeaux, trust me :d

Stuart
16-12-09, 09:18 PM
Medoc is good, Never had a rough one of those, but all other frenchies suck balls.

PNG wine tasting event must be needed lol

Mike
16-12-09, 09:18 PM
Except reds from bordeaux, trust me :d

Blergh, never ever drink red....

You know the old saying chap, when the missus runs red roll over an go to bed lol lol

Same must apply to wine :thumb:

Mike
16-12-09, 09:19 PM

Sterling idea!

Welsh Dan
16-12-09, 09:19 PM
South African Arniston Bay its called. Looks smart as fook thought :)

That stuff is pretty good. My better half went to their winery a few years ago too. Spier is pretty good South African aswell, if you like it you can get 30 bottles shipped direct from the winery for about £100, instead of the £8 or so each in the supermarkets.

Mike
16-12-09, 09:20 PM
Dan, im liking the sound of that!

Hope this **** tastes nice now :) as its getting good rep so far :)

Fester
16-12-09, 09:29 PM
This thread is awesome :d

My 'never drink again' lasted, oh, four days this time:
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/6006/resizedsdc11081.jpg

I drink to PNG!

Mike
16-12-09, 09:31 PM
We need an "Epic Thread" forum lol lol to store them all for ever more!

Along with the thread about the guy whos own Nova ran him over lol lol

Jack
16-12-09, 09:33 PM
I'm WELL up for that!

Are we allowed bottles at VBOA? :d

and lol @ stuart buying a wine called "YGAY" lol

LMFAO @ rafa and his scuffed trainers!

Mike
16-12-09, 09:35 PM
I'm WELL up for that!

Are we allowed bottles at VBOA? :d

and lol @ stuart buying a wine called "YGAY" lol

LMFAO @ rafa and his scuffed trainers!

Can see next years show season being fecking ace lol

Yeah Rafa, that was his name lol lol that thread was fantastic FLOL

blue_peg_16v
16-12-09, 09:39 PM

national weekend wine quoffing sounds good to me lol

Stuart
16-12-09, 09:47 PM
if Billing is a bottle free zone then yeah the national should be wineo (although in a hoe-tel :p )

Mike
16-12-09, 09:49 PM
I dont think Billing is bottle free, i had a load of Corona with me last time i was there IIRC? Or was PV... or probably both LOL

Jack
16-12-09, 09:52 PM
PV is bottle free. I think VBOA allow bottles? Mainly as the clientele is a little more... well they're not likely to try and smack each others faces in for a laugh at 3am.

Mike
16-12-09, 09:53 PM
3am?? Fook im in bed for 10! 11 if im feeling daring!

mowgli
16-12-09, 09:59 PM
Mike....

all you need to know about wine is this.......

1.there are three blokes who control all the decent wine. Les, Des & Vin. If one or more of their names are on the label, then it is good wine.

2.if you want wine for a party, simply get 'white zinfandel' Rose plonk at about £4. it tastes like strawberry pop, the ladies love it & it gets people well pissed.

3.when in a restaurant, however posh, simply ask for the house wine.. white with fish & chicken or chinese, red with beef & lamb, either if its a curry house.

4.most old expensive wines taste of the oak barrel they were matured in, young wines are a lot nicer for the casual wine drinker.

5. never ever pay more than £8 for a bottle of wine.

Fester
16-12-09, 10:01 PM
Real curry houses don't serve alcohol!

Negative rep!

Mike
16-12-09, 10:03 PM
Les, Des & Vin.

£4

MUST REMEMBER THAT! Top bloke :thumb:

Jack
16-12-09, 10:04 PM
And of those that do, its usually some indian wine. Which tastes like dishwater!

Mike
16-12-09, 10:05 PM
And of those that do, its usually some indian wine. Which tastes like dishwater!

You ever tried proper indian tea :tard: looks an taste's like dishwater!

Stuart
16-12-09, 10:06 PM
Red wine with everything :d white wine is for fannies

Mike
16-12-09, 10:06 PM
White wine tastes like gear box oil I think. Sweet, but ultimatly less rewarding compared to the likes of 5w40.

Jack
16-12-09, 10:07 PM
You ever tried proper indian tea :tard: looks an taste's like dishwater!
Chinese tea FTW :p

white is like lemonade

Mike
16-12-09, 10:07 PM
Chinese for tea FTW :p

Thats better :)

Stuart
16-12-09, 10:11 PM
Thats better :)

Dinner you nonce

Mike
16-12-09, 10:12 PM
No, tea! Comes after dinner but before 8 oclock cup 'o' tea time.

Sloth
17-12-09, 12:18 AM
tesco's yellow tail range is excellent, no matter what "model" ;)

blue_peg_16v
17-12-09, 12:29 AM
bottle gone doh

Stuart
17-12-09, 09:20 AM
tesco's yellow tail range is excellent, no matter what "model" ;)

for once you are correct (except for the white as I refuse to drink girls drinks :p )

Southie
17-12-09, 09:46 AM
Have a read of some of this Mike (tiz boring if you want larger really) CLICKY (http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/livingroom/wine.htm) :thumb:

Lee
17-12-09, 12:03 PM
http://media.skateboard.com.au/forum/images/gay%20called.jpg

Jack
17-12-09, 01:23 PM
Philistine!

Mike
17-12-09, 04:24 PM
Have a read of some of this Mike (tiz boring if you want larger really) CLICKY (http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/livingroom/wine.htm) :thumb:

Meh, larger's for nothing but butch dykes & skin heads. Beer is where its at :)

Stuart
17-12-09, 04:26 PM
punk IPA FTW

Spudly
17-12-09, 07:01 PM
PV is bottle free. I think VBOA allow bottles? Mainly as the clientele is a little more... well they're not likely to try and smack each others faces in for a laugh at 3am.

Thats a right plan, rather than sitting around drinking lots of cans we can all sit sipping (supposedly) from big ass glasses of wine, all day lol

Sloth
17-12-09, 07:57 PM
punk IPA FTW

+ rep, tescos do a 6 pack, and have the ltd edition in atm:thumb:

Stuart
17-12-09, 08:27 PM
+ rep, tescos do a 6 pack, and have the ltd edition in atm:thumb:

not mine :( :cry:

Hobbit
18-12-09, 04:37 AM
I'll bring a bottle of this 1982 stuff to Billing if peeps want to try it :)

Hobbit
02-01-10, 08:06 PM
Had a couple of 20+ year old bottles over crimbo, and yes there is a difference between these and cheap tescos stuff lol

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p72/wiggardywoo/SS101365.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p72/wiggardywoo/SS101367.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p72/wiggardywoo/SS101369.jpg