PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust too loud!!

Nobby
16-12-09, 05:43 PM
Right bought Yayoboys 2-1/4 inch powerflow system for my xe it came with 1 centre box and the back box. He said it was a nice sound Now ive fitted it but its way way way to loud for me! Sounds like a funkin scooby!! Ive rang the exhaust place who made it and they said that with powerflow systems on xe novas you cant get them quiet??? and wouldnt advise paying to put another silencer in due to the make of them and where to fit it on the nova system. Now would it make any difference if i changed the back box for a not so loud 1?? or any other ideas?? cheers

let_nova
16-12-09, 05:46 PM
sell it and buy another

L14MNP
16-12-09, 05:49 PM
Dunno about your way but up here Powerflow is absoloute dog muck.
As for the Scooby isssue, don't run on 3 pots. lol

Sounds like your best bet is to sell it on mate. That's the trouble with custom exhausts. :(

Nobby
16-12-09, 05:56 PM
:( fukin great stuff

Nobby
16-12-09, 05:59 PM
what if i changed the backbox?

let_nova
16-12-09, 06:00 PM
what for a RAGE or PECO? lol

Jack
16-12-09, 06:00 PM
Find a local (decent) exhaust shop and they should be able to chop in additional silencers.

Also try a different rear box, that may help. I'm sure the one I had on my old hatchback was powerflow, with no centre silencers - it wasn't THAT loud, but was quite raspy and not a "nice" noise. I had an exhaust place tell me they could easily chop in a couple of extra centre silencers to change/quieten the sound if I so wished.

L14MNP
16-12-09, 06:03 PM
If it's like a Powerflow system I had made for my Nissan, the back box won't just be a direct swap.
The 'fitters' are monkeys. WTF they welded such a long piece of pipe directly to the back box for I will never know. :/
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s247/eurojdmp11/Primera/Picture004.jpg
Just the centre and back section are PF (and I supplied the back box)

Nobby
16-12-09, 06:04 PM
i was going to try a differet backbox as im not to keen in the tailpipe i might have a ring round and see if anyone will put me another box in pissed me off as the middle bit is good and is a decent fit bar this funkin noise a few years back i would of loved it but now grrrrrr

Nobby
16-12-09, 06:05 PM
If it's like a Powerflow system I had made for my Nissan, the back box won't just be a direct swap.
The 'fitters' are monkeys. WTF they welded such a long piece of pipe directly to the back box for I will never know. :/
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s247/eurojdmp11/Primera/Picture004.jpg
Just the centre and back section are PF (and I supplied the back box)

yeah mate i had to make a new braket for the backbox as the standard 1 didnt fit but told it would? I thin to change the back box abit of fiddling is needed chopping and welding etc

Nobby
16-12-09, 06:06 PM
this is it

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y296/yayoboy/24112009083-1.jpg

L14MNP
16-12-09, 06:09 PM
Nightmare mate. try an off the shelf back box IMO then see what it's like. I know what you mean about noise a few years back. Hence me selling that system to my mate who still needs to grow up. Easy wasy to shift all of my smooth panels etc too. Would I hell run them in this day and age lol.

Sounds like the system was made on the guys car and isn't a straight Nova fit. I'm yet to see a Powerflow system that is!

Hope you get sorted without too much hassle mate. :)

Nobby
16-12-09, 06:11 PM
Nightmare mate. try an off the shelf back box IMO then see what it's like. I know what you mean about noise a few years back. Hence me selling that system to my mate who still needs to grow up. Easy wasy to shift all of my smooth panels etc too. Would I hell run them in this day and age lol.

Sounds like the system was made on the guys car and isn't a straight Nova fit. I'm yet to see a Powerflow system that is!

Hope you get sorted without too much hassle mate. :)

well my bros looking at buying a magnex system for his 1.4 so but its a mk2 fit and hes is a mk1 so might see if that is any good! If i put a standard backbox on would i lose the slight increase in power the straight through system gains?

L14MNP
16-12-09, 06:15 PM
I think you'd be fine with a smaller performace back box.The engine may even benefit as there will be more back pressure.

I had a Magnex on my 14 SR and it sounded perfect. Do it.

Jack
16-12-09, 06:58 PM
Postman pat called, he wants his letterbox back lol

Adam
16-12-09, 07:00 PM
As said, being a powerflow chances are you wont find another backbox to fit right on!

I was interested in that system with it being a large bore!! Sell it me lol
Its got to be quieter than my current Sportex one.#

Just seen the pic, yeah i dont think another backbox will fit that, looks like powerflow put the pipe joins in different places compared to std nova ones.

Got to remember your carbs wont be helping with exhaust noise either, inlet effects exhaust....

djshaggeh
16-12-09, 07:38 PM
The power flow centre section will be too long for the new back box i.e the tip will stick out about a 5 inches extra.

I had a powerflow mid and back box on my GTE. It was too loud and looked **** as it about a 5" tip. I changed it for a eurosports back box and chopped a section out between the back box and the tip. Now its really quiet, thats probobly due to the back box

Oh and you might need to reweld a new hanger for the back box unless you can be bothered to get it perfect.

Nobby
16-12-09, 07:57 PM
As said, being a powerflow chances are you wont find another backbox to fit right on!

I was interested in that system with it being a large bore!! Sell it me lol
Its got to be quieter than my current Sportex one.#

Just seen the pic, yeah i dont think another backbox will fit that, looks like powerflow put the pipe joins in different places compared to std nova ones.

Got to remember your carbs wont be helping with exhaust noise either, inlet effects exhaust....
i paid £180 for it pal sort me thats and shes yours lol

Nobby
16-12-09, 07:59 PM
The power flow centre section will be too long for the new back box i.e the tip will stick out about a 5 inches extra.

I had a powerflow mid and back box on my GTE. It was too loud and looked **** as it about a 5" tip. I changed it for a eurosports back box and chopped a section out between the back box and the tip. Now its really quiet, thats probobly due to the back box

Oh and you might need to reweld a new hanger for the back box unless you can be bothered to get it perfect.

the plan will be to put the 2 backboxes side by side and check the size differnece then chop the 2 pieces off both boxes where it comes off the centre pipe into the backbox and try and swap them over we will see, i had to make a new hanger for this system already :(

Nobby
16-12-09, 08:00 PM
Postman pat called, he wants his letterbox back lol

i actually like it to be honest its different :D

Benn
16-12-09, 08:30 PM
Mines got Powerflow boxes on it, but it was built but someone who knows what they are doing.

Its lovely and quiet as that what i wanted. Even at full chat its not that loud.

Jon_nova1
16-12-09, 11:11 PM
I have that same backbox! its loud as f*ck i have everything intact on mine, even the cat, change the backbox!

rubachuk
17-12-09, 10:41 AM
I have the exact same problem at the moment with a powerflow on an XE. I bought the car with the exhaust already fitted and to be honest I feel a bit of a tool driving it at the moment. The noise is really raspy, it sort of blares really loudly and attracts attention.

I'll be really interested how you sort this out and what the results are, make sure you post it up

Nobby
17-12-09, 09:26 PM
I have the exact same problem at the moment with a powerflow on an XE. I bought the car with the exhaust already fitted and to be honest I feel a bit of a tool driving it at the moment. The noise is really raspy, it sort of blares really loudly and attracts attention.

I'll be really interested how you sort this out and what the results are, make sure you post it up

hi mate ive a couple of people intersted in it at the moment si i might sell it if not im going to change the backbox i think

Balley
17-12-09, 10:12 PM
the boxes look to short, get a bigger middle box, a 24inch cherry bomb would do the trick I bet

nova_saloon
17-12-09, 10:24 PM
yeh all about having a nice quite exhaust that gets a bit naughty when you floor it otherwise it just rattles your brain, My XE has three silencers on it and does the trick nicely