PDA

View Full Version : MOT Brake Pipe Question

AlexW
16-12-09, 02:11 PM
Quick question, i know its not ideal but is it allowed for brake pipes to touch metal.

After all there usualy lifted off by plastic clips or in rubber bungs were there secured.

Cheers, Rep for replys.

let_nova
16-12-09, 02:25 PM
where abouts exactly? i just got a mot on a corsa, the advisory was,

excessive underseal, unable to check brake pipes for corrosion

bmw156
16-12-09, 03:14 PM
are they not held on the inside or the inner wing with metal tabs?

Adam
16-12-09, 03:16 PM
They have to be securely fitted etc, so rubbing on metal wont be ideal. Will probably be an advisory at least, if not a fail.

AlexW
16-12-09, 05:48 PM

Its in the front arch, cant seem to get it to clear the suspension and not touch the metal :s

Have rubber inserts.

They have to be securely fitted etc, so rubbing on metal wont be ideal. Will probably be an advisory at least, if not a fail.

What i was thinking.

Will have another play when i can be arsed.

Mark Sparks
16-12-09, 07:06 PM
brake pipes wont rub on the body as they dont move have a look at the front brake pipes on an astra g they touch but thats wyh they rust i must have fail 500 because they were corroded lol , and if its the suspension rubbing the brake pipe it will FAIL, :thumb:

daverobson
16-12-09, 07:23 PM

didnt think this was a fail :confused:,

staggy_gsi
16-12-09, 08:44 PM
it is failable, although some testers may choose to just advise it. if i come across one thats touching i sometimes put a piece of rubber pipe round it or similar

Novasport
16-12-09, 08:54 PM

There should be a rubber tube around the brake pipe where the tab folds over the pipe

AlexW
16-12-09, 10:49 PM
Cheers guys, i think il just stick a bit of rubber around it if i cant sort it proper. Cheers

Adam
17-12-09, 03:33 PM
Just get some fuel hose, put a slit all the way down it, then cut it to size, wrap it around the pipes and clamp it with the metal tab things :)