PDA

View Full Version : Quick MOT question

Jon_nova1
16-12-09, 11:36 AM
Just a quick one, my mums car failed its MOT on a couple of things, one of of those was the handbrake cable had snapped

After fitting a new one, she had a call this morning, saying it had passed on the rear brakes and snapped handbrake, but it has been fitted wrong???

Can she just get her car and certificate and be done with it? or can it fail its retest on that?

puss puss
16-12-09, 11:40 AM
Just a quick one, my mums car failed its MOT on a couple of things, one of of those was the handbrake cable had snapped

After fitting a new one, she had a call this morning, saying it had passed on the rear brakes and snapped handbrake, but it has been fitted wrong???

Can she just get her car and certificate and be done with it? or can it fail its retest on that?

If the readings passed on the brake rollers then its a pass

go pick it up and ask how its been fitted wrong (bit confussled on that one might be them looking for work) and if it is fitted wrong sort it out :thumb:

Jon_nova1
16-12-09, 11:43 AM
Yep, i thought that, I fitted it, and i cannot think of a wrong way to fit it! and they want £40 for it!

Sent the mum down to see how its been fitted wrong and to collect it, but its not been retested on the MOT status check

puss puss
16-12-09, 11:51 AM
Yep, i thought that, I fitted it, and i cannot think of a wrong way to fit it! and they want £40 for it!

Sent the mum down to see how its been fitted wrong and to collect it, but its not been retested on the MOT status check

Bet its them looking for work lol, dont think you can fit them wrong unless there rubbing somewhere or something but you would of passed.

So anything else wrong with it or did it pass with flying colours? :d

edit: 500 posts yay

Jon_nova1
16-12-09, 12:08 PM
it did fail on headlamp/cv boot/broken suspension spring, but only came back with the handbrake

Stuart
16-12-09, 12:11 PM
if the part works and isnt causing a problem to ther parts then its "fine" in the MOT sense of the word

Jon_nova1
16-12-09, 12:24 PM
Well somethings not right, its not even been retested and after the mum walked down and told them what i'd said, they're letting her take it and bring it back next week for a retest

they said its (the cable) sitting on a brake pipe, which may be true as i had no choice but to do it in the dark, but to not even test it on what it failed on, If only the neighbours had told us about that testing station before she took it there instead of after lol

puss puss
16-12-09, 08:58 PM
Well somethings not right, its not even been retested and after the mum walked down and told them what i'd said, they're letting her take it and bring it back next week for a retest

they said its (the cable) sitting on a brake pipe, which may be true as i had no choice but to do it in the dark, but to not even test it on what it failed on, If only the neighbours had told us about that testing station before she took it there instead of after lol

HASH!

Handbrake cable sitting on the brake pipe hmm i suppose it could rub though, but am i right in thinking that they move both together with the suspension/axle going up and down (as if you were going over bumps etc)

Hope your retest is free, and if it is get it done then dont return there imo.

Our garage would of just bent the pipe a little bit or moved it slightly.

As for the rest am a little confussled the light,cvboot spring etc..

let me get this staight they failed it (or someone else)

u got it booked it done the work but they didnt look at it and just noticed the cable?

Or do you just think that because they havnt said anything about it? :thumb: