PDA

View Full Version : boot popper help ?

novah108gly
15-12-09, 03:10 PM
right since ive had my car in september to open the boot is a pain in the backside as it is delocked but i think its got a solinoid on it already but not sure?

http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac183/novah108gly/PICT0038.jpg

is this a solinoid in the picture and if it is how do i go about wireing it up it has 2 wires coming from it 1 blue and 1 black :)

MattBrown
15-12-09, 03:16 PM
The black one needs to be earthed to BARE metal on the shell, or bootlid

And the red one needs to get 12v on a switch, so run a wire from your batt, to a switch in the dash, then into the solenoid:)

Adam
15-12-09, 03:16 PM
Looks like one yeah.
Just put one wire to 12v and then the other needs switching to earth when you want to operate the solenoid......
Or vice versa.

I prefer switching live to it and keeping the earth permanent, that way youve not got a constant live running to it.

You need something that will "pulse" one of the wires (most car alarms have a suitable output)
Or just put it on a non latching switch.

novah108gly
15-12-09, 03:22 PM
:thumb:
Looks like one yeah.
Just put one wire to 12v and then the other needs switching to earth when you want to operate the solenoid......
Or vice versa.

I prefer switching live to it and keeping the earth permanent, that way youve not got a constant live running to it.

You need something that will "pulse" one of the wires (most car alarms have a suitable output)
Or just put it on a non latching switch.

thanks bud wot do you mean by pulse one of the wires and non latching?

Adam
15-12-09, 03:29 PM
Basically just to "flick" the solenoid on for half a second to open the boot....

Non-latching is a switch that doesnt stay on, you just push it on and when you let go it springs back to its off position

novah108gly
15-12-09, 03:33 PM
Basically just to "flick" the solenoid on for half a second to open the boot....

Non-latching is a switch that doesnt stay on, you just push it on and when you let go it springs back to its off position

thanks so if i run a wire from the positive on the battery to the switch then a wire from trhe swich to the solinoid red then earth the black wire:thumb:

Adam
15-12-09, 07:55 PM
Yep.

Put a fuse in the live wire though as close to the batt as possible