PDA

View Full Version : C14SE coolant temp sensor

Mk1'SR'Dan
15-12-09, 10:06 AM
hello folks, i wonder if anyone can help me with this, ive just dropped a C14SE into my nova, on the far right of the cylinder head theres the coolant temp sensor, im wondering if i can put a secondary temp gauge in the dash using that sensor?

AlexW
15-12-09, 12:21 PM
Providing the gauge is setup correctly yes. But it will prob be fine.

Mk1'SR'Dan
15-12-09, 12:38 PM
i still have the plug for the sensor, two wires, brown and blue, im just wondering how i would go about wiring it up, would in be a 12v+ into the sensor and then the other wire going to the gauge?!

craig green
15-12-09, 02:10 PM
Thats the CTS, I'm not sure it would power a gauge. It has a variable resistance which the ECU uses in order to alterfuelling depending on the etemperature conditions of the engine coolant. Why donmt you just buy a gauge & use the sender it is supplied with & add it into the coolant pipes within the engine bay, like you are meant to.

AlexW
15-12-09, 02:30 PM
Ahhh CTS will be fine, Your prob find your gauge (or one you buy) will have a earth that is ment to be put on the engine somwhere, insted your just put that onto the other side of the sensor using the other wire.

Nowt wrong with it like that, they just use resistance, Neg resistance, Never try and put 12v positive through it!

Mk1'SR'Dan
15-12-09, 02:33 PM
Well i do know that Craig, no need to un-necessarily attempt to make me sound like a retard. I just thought seeing as i had the sensor already on the engine i just thought there might be a use for it, im not overly bothered to be honest. Cheers AW06, might be a later date job as im still waiting on my F13.

craig green
15-12-09, 02:35 PM
Not trying to make you feel like a retard chap, I just wanted to point out that the resitance of a Bosch CTS might not be what an aftermarket gauge uses to give an accurate reading.

Mk1'SR'Dan
16-12-09, 12:54 PM
sorry Craig, i was in a bit of an ars*y mood the other day, i just thought if its there, and relatively easy to wire up then i might as well use it for a secondary temp gauge, id like to buy one but all my (lack of) funds are being pumped into the engine/gearbox issue... nice analogy of the 'pace car' btw..!! lol