PDA

View Full Version : urgent internet help

Dave.
15-12-09, 12:46 AM
on my computer before, on mozzilla firefox msn etc, suddenly the internet windows close automatically, followed by the msn windows, and then a window called ''updating...'' appears and dissapears in the space of 2 mins, then the computer restarted itself automatically. Now i cannot access the internet atall via the comp. But wireless on my phone and ps3 is fine. Anyone got any ideas? It keeps saying ''address not found'' for every url, and msn says ''cannot sign in at this time''

wwmnw
15-12-09, 12:50 AM
Are you with talk talk?

Novaboi_1991
15-12-09, 12:51 AM
tbh mate, theres alot of bugs going round at the moment,

perhaps system restore then do a virus and malware scan?

should get you sorted.

wwmnw
15-12-09, 12:53 AM
Ignore him, he knows nothing about computers lol

poultergeist
15-12-09, 01:00 AM
There is a bug going through windows updates at the moment. Did you get a windows anti malware warning pop up?

Dave.
15-12-09, 01:11 AM
i got a windows update yellow sheikd yes, that couldve been the updating window that appeared. What can i do to fix it? Only running AVG and cannot access internet via computer atall.

wwmnw
15-12-09, 01:19 AM
Start the computer in safe mode and do a full system scan with AVG. Could take a few hours so you may be without your pc for 8 hours or so.

Dave.
15-12-09, 01:52 AM
sorted it now!

BTHomeHub is nackered, plugged my old modem in without wireless, works fine now :thumb:

Jon_nova1
15-12-09, 09:20 AM
the bug going through windows is on windows 7

Dave.
15-12-09, 09:48 PM
Im on Windows XP :thumb:

Dave.
15-12-09, 09:49 PM
Just out of interest, my BTHomeHub box isnt sending a internet connection to the computer via the ethernet cable

Common fault?

Welsh Dan
15-12-09, 11:01 PM
BTHomeHubs not working is a common fault! lol

Jack
16-12-09, 01:08 AM
Just out of interest, my BTHomeHub box isnt sending a internet connection to the computer via the ethernet cable

Common fault?
Is the ethernet link to the homehub working ok?

Dave.
18-12-09, 07:26 PM
Is the ethernet link to the homehub working ok?

AFAIK yes.

Ive currently attached my old speedtouch modem upto the computer, however soemtimes (say, every 9 out of 10 times) the computer will close automatically saying "Windows has shut down to rpevent any further damage" then loads of messages etc

Ive scanned with AVG (not the best) and nothings coem up, however my homehub will now work atall

I have firewall, everythign on etc :(

Bubba
18-12-09, 07:39 PM
turn it off and turn it on?

or go into it through the computer and reset everything in it

Jack
18-12-09, 08:32 PM
Check the syslog to see if there's any errors in there that report why it shut down.

Does it do the shutdown thing when running in safe mode?

I would expect that as the computer clearly has something wrong with it, the ethernet fromt he homehub may well be ok and its the computer thats at fault. Do you have another one you can connect via ethernet to see if thats ok?