PDA

View Full Version : New car

loggyboy
14-12-09, 09:38 PM
Decided with the miles i was doing I need something super economic...

Enter 70+mpg:

http://www.loggyboy.com/images/Volvo/FrontQtr.jpg

http://www.loggyboy.com/images/Volvo/Front.jpg

http://www.loggyboy.com/images/Volvo/RearQtr.jpg

http://www.loggyboy.com/images/Volvo/Rear.jpg

Opinions?

sulphur
14-12-09, 09:47 PM
Luvly!

vaughanmc
14-12-09, 09:48 PM
Really nice looking car :)

AlexW
14-12-09, 09:49 PM
Rdesign? Nice.

xe_nova9
14-12-09, 09:50 PM
Speedness?

Stuart
14-12-09, 09:50 PM
I'll kiss Burgo if you get a REAL 70mpg+ lol

mowgli
14-12-09, 09:53 PM
i don't like volvo's attempt at warming up one of these........

http://carad.ebayimg.com/i5/01/a/000/77/d3/4188_4.JPG

loggyboy
14-12-09, 09:54 PM
Speedness?
No speedness -

0-60 - 11sec, 118mph
108PS
240NM :)

But its all about the 49.6 mpg Urban, 74.3 mpg Extra Urban, 62.8 mpg combined.

Should save me £100-150 a month in fuel, meaning more money for Kit car :)
(if i could get 75mpg then id save £200!!!)

loggyboy
14-12-09, 09:56 PM
i don't like volvo's attempt at warming up one of these........

Love the original, love the new one more. Only one hatch on the market pips it for looks (without looking like every other hatch), and If I could get a Rocco for the sensible money the Volvos go for I would be having one of them instead!

Nobby
14-12-09, 09:57 PM
does it come with a pipe and slippers

AlexW
14-12-09, 10:00 PM

£50 optional extra

auzzy2000
14-12-09, 10:01 PM
Hate the back!!Front and side is nice.NIce car mate

loggyboy
14-12-09, 10:07 PM

Your just not with the program...

All the girls think im just like an extra sexy cool vampire:

http://twilightsingapore.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/075.jpg

Stuart
14-12-09, 10:09 PM
c30 VERY sideways ftw.

Ben
14-12-09, 10:22 PM
I got bliped of the lights by one of these tonight!

I like them especially the sporty looking model with the slight kit etc fitted.

Although am really liking the S50 or whatever it is.

loggyboy
14-12-09, 10:23 PM
c30 VERY sideways ftw.
Shame its RongWheelDrive

I got bliped of the lights by one of these tonight!

I like them especially the sporty looking model with the slight kit etc fitted.

They do the T5 and the D5, both with lots of BHPs and Torques.

Mine has the lookylooky kit (R-Design)

Im also extra happy with the £35 road tax :) - another £150 saving over the Lex

Stuart
14-12-09, 10:25 PM
Shame its RongWheelDrive

oh you can still do it ;) Very pointable car given the correct level of deviantness :d

loggyboy
14-12-09, 10:27 PM
oh you can still do it ;) Very pointable car given the correct level of deviantness :d

Or if your feeling lame theres the J Turn.. made even more ubercool by Twiglight

Ben
14-12-09, 10:28 PM
They do the T5 and the D5, both with lots of BHPs and Torques.

Yeah was the D5 that left me standing tonight, am really digging volvo's current styling.

Stuart
14-12-09, 10:30 PM
Yeah was the D5 that left me standing tonight, am really digging volvo's current styling.

Just posh/expensive Fords :p

Ben
14-12-09, 10:32 PM
Just posh/expensive Fords :p

well i wont have a bad word said about my barge, spent nearly a week searching high and low for a new car and just couldnt find anything "better" for realistic money. The second hand car market in the uk is in turmoil!

Stuart
14-12-09, 10:34 PM
yep, its proving a mare to find something suitable to replace the astra at the moment... seems old ****ters are big monies and cars that used to be cheap just arent around, then its nearly new prices :s

Jack
14-12-09, 10:37 PM
Nice, the mrs wants one of these as its a "sensible" car. At 70-odd mpg and £35 tax, thats spot on as it allows me to then go and buy the '70 Challenger I want :d

Ben
14-12-09, 10:38 PM
Dave whats the bootspace like?

Stu yeah the problem is due to the scrappage scheme the under £2k dealers are struggling for stock so moving intoi the £3-6k market hence upping the demand and prices at auctions and private ads.

Mike
14-12-09, 10:40 PM
Nice motors them :) saying that, all current Volvo's are.

The older ones, as Mow pictured, you can get them in a petrol turbo an they fecking shift!

Stuart
14-12-09, 10:41 PM

Stu yeah the problem is due to the scrappage scheme the under £2k dealers are struggling for stock so moving intoi the £3-6k market hence upping the demand and prices at auctions and private ads.

yeah but the £2K scrappage lark cant be having that much effect since its only going to be of benefit for folks that have owned for 12 months and also its not really worth it to buy a crappy old car for £1500, MOT it etc to 'Save' £500 on a brand spanker lol.

Or have I missed something.

Novasport
14-12-09, 10:43 PM
70mpg lol lol lol lol lol

Ben
14-12-09, 10:44 PM
Obviously all the people that have always traded there cars in always went to auctions and sold off now they get scrapped so at the auctions there are half as many car entries so the dealers are scoruing the auto trader/free ads and buying up the non traded in ones.

Is causing supply and demand issues.

Stuart
14-12-09, 10:46 PM
Obviously all the people that have always traded there cars in always went to auctions and sold off now they get scrapped so at the auctions there are half as many car entries so the dealers are scoruing the auto trader/free ads and buying up the non traded in ones.

Is causing supply and demand issues.

ahh now makes sense... but still there is a limited number of cars being scrapped so it cant be the sole cause of the problem?

probably a lot of people not chopping in at 3/5years etc

Ste L
14-12-09, 10:46 PM
front's nice, but the rear is funking ugly

loggyboy
14-12-09, 10:47 PM
Laughable!

AS for the scrappage scheme, volvo do a 20% discount on top of the gov funder 1k, meaning around a 4k discount. Sadly the Lex is too new and the nova is too gone.

70mpg lol lol lol lol lol

The stop start version does 85!! and is £0 road tax.
Il think youl be surpised, just look at what the blue motions do (check top gears report a series or 2 ago!)

Il keep every one posted on the real MPG figures!

Ben
14-12-09, 10:48 PM
No people not chopping them in but you would very suprised the amount getting scrapped, the local yard is getting artic car transporter loads in a day, things like w reg clio's and Ka's.

And as said as the "cheapy" dealers cant find stock there moving up market and creating bidding war on the 5yr old stuff.

Stuart
14-12-09, 10:50 PM
Laughable!

NO, just NO!!!!!!!

imho the technology is too young/new at the moment to be used seriously. Give it a year or two more and things should be properly stable.

I know BMW have had them doing it for a while but I'd still not trust a combined starter/alternator on the FEAD (alternator belt) for a Derv lump long term.

Mike
14-12-09, 10:51 PM
No people not chopping them in but you would very suprised the amount getting scrapped, the local yard is getting artic car transporter loads in a day, things like w reg clio's and Ka's. .

Thats actually very true. A scrappers by me has recently become full of S to 51 reg motors within about 6 months.

Novasport
14-12-09, 10:53 PM
Il think youl be surpised, just look at what the blue motions do (check top gears report a series or 2 ago!)

Il keep every one posted on the real MPG figures!
I drive a BMW 118d, most I have had out of that is 62mpg. Thats nearly 10mpg less than quoted.
The bull sh!t figures are done in a controlled enviroment with no wind, no hills, no ancilliaries being used etc.

Novasport
14-12-09, 10:55 PM
Thats actually very true. A scrappers by me has recently become full of S to 51 reg motors within about 6 months.

Only cars upto V reg are eligible

Ben
14-12-09, 10:55 PM
NO, just NO!!!!!!!

imho the technology is too young/new at the moment to be used seriously. Give it a year or two more and things should be properly stable.

I know BMW have had them doing it for a while but I'd still not trust a combined starter/alternator on the FEAD (alternator belt) for a Derv lump long term.

I agree 110% can you imagine the problems and costs involved in fixes in 5 years time after a couple of million starts and stops.

Stuart
14-12-09, 10:58 PM
Oh its gonna be expensive... the estimated large production cost of one they made where I used to work was in the order of £500. That means once in the dealers as a spare part that would be a grand, plus vat and fitting of course, and other parts lol

Novasport
14-12-09, 11:00 PM
NO, just NO!!!!!!!

I was sceptical at first but Stop/Start has been on 1 & 3 series for over 2 years with some cars doing over 60,000 miles and we have had absolutely no issues.

loggyboy
14-12-09, 11:00 PM
51s arent scrappable (as in scrappage allowance), my 01 X reg Lex is too new to be scraped under the scheme.

Mike
14-12-09, 11:14 PM
51s arent scrappable (as in scrappage allowance), my 01 X reg Lex is too new to be scraped under the scheme.

I know this, but thats whats comnig in into the breakers yard i go past every day. Mostly 206's an as Ben said Ka's.

I had a perfectly eligible S reg Corsa i could have traded in an got £2k off a new Connect ST van from my local Ford dealer, I didnt purely because id have to have had £3k on finance, why the fook would i want to do that. So i sold it for £200 IIRC?

EDIT: Ive been hearing this scrappage scheme stops very soon, not long after the VAT rise (Jan 1st) any light on that???

loggyboy
14-12-09, 11:23 PM
IIRC theres a set fund that the gov allowed for, so it finishes when the money runs out.

Mike
14-12-09, 11:25 PM
IIRC theres a set fund that the gov allowed for, so it finishes when the money runs out.

Oh i see. Ive heard it was a massive sucess in America, though there was a mass public outcry as people were trading in classic muscle cars over there. Or so I hear anyway.

Novasport
14-12-09, 11:30 PM
We have a 40k mile 1 owner Mk2 Golf GTi coming into our Mini dealership on the scrappage!

Stuart
15-12-09, 09:22 AM
We have a 40k mile 1 owner Mk2 Golf GTi coming into our Mini dealership on the scrappage!

lol chopping a not so crap car in for a crap car... fail lol

L14MNP
15-12-09, 10:52 AM
does it come with a pipe and slippers lol Wait until you get dusted by a T5. Even when you're driving an LET. :thumb: Drive anything lesser and any Volvo will be in with a chance of spanking you good, and getting awesome MPG at the same time lol.

Nice one Loggy. They're tidy, unique little cars. R Design FTW. I test trove a D5 when the rents were thinking about one, love that floating cente console! The boot was uber shallow though. That not a problem for you?

Glad you got the pre-facelift too. Those post things be uglllly! :thumb:

loggyboy
15-12-09, 04:21 PM
Yeah boot is shallow, but most i carry regularly is drawings, site boots and my hardhat. Missus clio has a spacious boot, and although the lex had a good boot, the load bay was limited and had no folding seats.
Worst case il take spare out in opt for the tyre weld u can ask for.

Will F
16-12-09, 08:28 AM
This post needs to be renamed 'Here is my new car - but its mostly a debate about scrappage'! lol

Good thread actually - most informative for a while! ;)

Nice car too - not a huge fan of the rear, but have seen a few of these around by me - and I always find myself looking at them when they drive passed....

Angus Closier
16-12-09, 01:03 PM
My sister has a bluemotion golf and that has a very high claimed mpg but it never happens realisticly she gets good mpg on a long run but the town is still rubbish(compared to what they claim) so would be good if you can tell us how its doing etc.....nice car anyway!

AdamG
16-12-09, 06:31 PM
Volvo's, Boxy but Good.

AdamG
16-12-09, 06:43 PM
http://boxybutgood.us/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/crazy-people-volvo.jpg

loggyboy
16-12-09, 07:41 PM
Volvo's, Boxy but Good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBt1fV6dqiU

Hello, hows your family?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZi8oBCeWAs

L14MNP
16-12-09, 10:34 PM
http://boxybutgood.us/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/crazy-people-volvo.jpg
Old badges FTW
http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv64/L14M_NP/Loft%20gold/SP_A0397.jpg?t=1261002803
lol @ old Volvo ads. Yet now they make some of the best looking - and curvy cars on the road.