PDA

View Full Version : Home pa system???

MattBrown
14-12-09, 06:06 PM
As im abit wiered (As most know)

Im after a huge stereo!

Like 2 cd decks, an amp, sub and 2 horns!

Can anyone give me some good names etc?

What to look for?

Its gonna do some big parties next year etc, gotta get 80 people pumpinglol

Spudly
14-12-09, 06:26 PM
Marrantz, B&O, KEF, Harman Kardon, theres a few really good ones i can think of from memory bud:thumb:

Angus Closier
14-12-09, 06:32 PM
If you just want a big pa set then ^^^is gunna cost you, however you can pick up some good jbl's for cheap! had a set a while back! good sound (and loud) for not much buck....

MattBrown
14-12-09, 06:35 PM
Im not bothered really, as its going to be second hand, its mainly I dont know what to type into ebay lmfao!

If I go to view it, I gather its 100% essential they play it full whack to listen for crackles/feeback etc?

SRimon
14-12-09, 07:14 PM
If you want PA?

Bose, JBL, Peavey, RCL, etc.

If you want HiFi, the list is endless lol...as i'm sure PA is, PA is just loud!

I know someone with a big Bose Amp if interested.

I've £5k of HiFi lol

SRimon
14-12-09, 07:15 PM
Marrantz, B&O, KEF, Harman Kardon, theres a few really good ones i can think of from memory bud:thumb:

I doubt i'd buy anything from any of them! lol They do a lot of low end stuff, some of the top Marantz CDP's are good, all B&O is ****e, KEF did some good speakers many years ago.

Ben
14-12-09, 10:24 PM
Try and get hold of a old set of celestion dittons you can seriously bang them out and they just keep coming back for more, modern speakers cant cope like old ones.

djbrowney
14-12-09, 10:44 PM
if you want a real pa you want to be looking out for the like of ass and turbo sound

imo jbl stands for just bollocks limited :thumb:

if you also look for amps made by c audio awsome pieces of kit for not a lot of money, getting old now but parts are still readily avalable, not very often they break either :thumb:

SRimon
15-12-09, 08:03 PM
if you want a real pa you want to be looking out for the like of ass and turbo sound

imo jbl stands for just bollocks limited :thumb:

if you also look for amps made by c audio awsome pieces of kit for not a lot of money, getting old now but parts are still readily avalable, not very often they break either :thumb:

You seriously think the JBL EON series are bollocks? One of the finest sounding club's i've been in was stacked full of JBL EON's.

Angus Closier
15-12-09, 08:29 PM
To be honest mate JBL are fine, never said they where anything amazing but for what they cost you get a fair bit of bang for your cash.
If you want to get all expensive (I mean really expensive) then head up and get some funktion one speakers.......that would get the party started....

wilson_sri
15-12-09, 08:40 PM
To be honest mate JBL are fine, never said they where anything amazing but for what they cost you get a fair bit of bang for your cash.
If you want to get all expensive (I mean really expensive) then head up and get some funktion one speakers.......that would get the party started....
Mmmmmm function one, they make me wet! Doubt he will have the deep pockets for them though lol

If your looking to get 2nd hand stuff. Head down to your local cash generator store. Iv picked up some awesome bargains there. Got a whole Tannoy system there for £250. Included 2 speakers, amp, vinyl player, cd player and tape deck. Its pretty old now, but still works perfect and sounds awesome!!

You could add a bit more info though. As in budget, and how big is the room you will be using? It doesnt all come down to the equipment you buy. The space your using and how the system is positioned plays a massive part :)

SRimon
15-12-09, 08:59 PM
Yeah 2nd hand shops are your way forward, i've made hundred if not thousands out of my local one, buying and selling again on ebay! lol

Angus Closier
15-12-09, 11:42 PM
Mmmmmm function one, they make me wet! Doubt he will have the deep pockets for them though lol

And me........one day il get some,however as said you can get some good bargins in 2nd shops......!

MattBrown
15-12-09, 11:55 PM
£250 for speakers and amp, can add a cd player as I wish etc!

Pa means party animal to me:)

something that takes a kicking!

Angus Closier
16-12-09, 12:04 AM
Me and my mate made some replica funktion one speakers using the plans we found for them, really good speakers and cost us next to nothing.
How quick do you need them? If you look around on egay you might be able to find a bargin......some times they pop up, and you can always ask on here to see if any of us have had experiences with them...
How good does the quality/volume etc need to be?

George g
16-12-09, 12:44 AM
I think its all down to cost mate here as I doubt you will care for the sound difference/quality of a top end denon or b&w system, so ad said above, some second hand high wattage speakers will probably be a good shout!

L14MNP
16-12-09, 12:18 PM
No high's no low's, must be BOSE. lol

JAMO (speakers) for the old skool win.

I wish I'd been able to find a UK supplier of the floor standers they done with either an 8 or 10" bass driver in the side. Window rattler and Steet shaker is what they were called. colonubercoolface

LOL @ wanting a PA System BTW.

L14MNP
16-12-09, 12:21 PM
Also, whilst on the subject, does anyone remember ever seeing JAMO car audio? I know for a cast iron certain fact I saw an advert in one of the car modifying mags in the 90's.
They would have sounded awesome IMO. Nice and bassy, but with the high end clarity I likes.

napalm_27
16-12-09, 12:21 PM
iv got most of what you need mate just need a amp as iv got a built in amp on a set of citronic decks
but i recommend
pioneer dual cd players
pioneer mixer
jamo/peavey speakers
and look about for a moderately big amplifier

Ben
16-12-09, 12:23 PM
Also, whilst on the subject, does anyone remember ever seeing JAMO car audio? I know for a cast iron certain fact I saw an advert in one of the car modifying mags in the 90's.
They would have sounded awesome IMO. Nice and bassy, but with the high end clarity I likes.

I know a few boys back in the early 90's had jamo house speakers in the boot of there xr2's lollollol

L14MNP
16-12-09, 12:31 PM
lol. I done that with my D series but it was late 90's.
http://is.gumtree.com/ad_image/live/big/279321018.jpg
http://pic.pbsrc.com/spacer.gif
http://pic.pbsrc.com/spacer.gif
I always wanted to try it with my mates huge Jamo club speakers. lol

craig green
16-12-09, 12:40 PM
JAMO's lol They are dirt.

Cerwin Vega FTW.

Tbh anything with 12"+ drivers & well powered ought to be enough unless the room/venue is LARGE. In which case you just need to up the quantities. I'd put my money into the amplification first.

L14MNP
16-12-09, 12:46 PM
lol. Focal Utopia Be in an ideal world.
Jamo was my 90's win. Underrated IMO especially as a PA/club speaker.

Spudly
16-12-09, 12:47 PM
Wow limp. Jamo D's theyre old skool cool, my mate had some 365's in his flat along with a set of Peavey Hi-sys II's (proper club speakers) and two amps bi-wired running a full pro-logic surround setup back in 97-98 and yes the peaveys were 'borrowed' (from a car at the local travelling fair) lol

Fudge me it was loud you could hear the bassline from the end of the street (about 20 houses give or take a few)

Angus Closier
16-12-09, 01:08 PM
iv got most of what you need mate just need a amp as iv got a built in amp on a set of citronic decks
but i recommend
pioneer dual cd players
pioneer mixer
jamo/peavey speakers
and look about for a moderately big amplifier

Personally I think peavey are poooo but thats just me...

Get on the bay or out shopping and let us know what you find.....

Iv got a rather ****ty 400w amp if your stuck but my speakers got made into some car ones!!!

craig green
16-12-09, 01:10 PM
Fudge me it was loud you could hear the bassline from the end of the street (about 20 houses give or take a few)

My little B&W's have been known to wake folk up from a few doors down! lol

Ben
16-12-09, 02:06 PM
I can wake two blocks of flats up with my pc speakers and sub!

craig green
16-12-09, 02:21 PM
Thin walls?

The Simps
16-12-09, 02:23 PM
I run some washing machine size jamos for base and mission for top end all through a technics amp. Fantastic in the lounge and the jamo fill a village hall nicely :D

Got the lot from Richer Sounds years ago. iirc the Jamos cost me £150 the pair new and were last of stock.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/TheSimps/DSCF01031.jpg

L14MNP
16-12-09, 02:37 PM
Nice one Simps. Back in tehe days when all Richer sold was hi-fi!

The Simps
16-12-09, 02:40 PM
They really should rename themselves now to "Richer Visions"

Ben
16-12-09, 02:45 PM
very true, ive had some awesome kit from them over the years, bought an old cambridge amp from them for peanuts and have never been able to make it pop, still going now.

L14MNP
16-12-09, 02:57 PM
Aye. Loads of my gear from there is still grafting what I've had for years. Including MD decks. lol I remember paying £499 for a Sony DVPS-725D DVD player there as it was one of their infamous 'grey imports' lol. Better than £599 from the Sony Centre!

Ahh, back in the days when HMV had about a dozen DVD's to chose from. lol

Ben
16-12-09, 02:58 PM
Aye. Loads of my gear from there is still grafting what I've had for years. Including MD decks. lol I remember paying £499 for a Sony DVPS-725D DVD player there as it was one of their infamous 'grey imports' lol. Better than £599 from the Sony Centre!

Ahh, back in the days when HMV had about a dozen DVD's to chose from. lol

lol same here i paid about £400 for my panasonic one, still going strong, and i refuse to buy a £20 with usb slot as still getting my value from the panasonic.

L14MNP
16-12-09, 03:03 PM
haha my Sony is getting a little long in the tooth now and when DVDs first became popular it didn't like copies but now it will play anything I ram in the tray.
colonhigh5 for long lasting AV equipment. lol