PDA

View Full Version : Car broken into :-(

RobHardyUK
25-03-03, 09:54 AM
Was at work last night, walking towards my car, pressed my button on my remote to unlock car, it beeped(meaning the alarm went off), i looked at the pasenger door lock, and its all smashed in, rear seats pulled down, ?250 sub gone, and every else was trown everywhere, fortunately not broken. Still lock is broken, tho it works when i use remote, but not key, like my dad sed all you need to do i stick a key in it. Alarm must have scared em, as they only got sub, amp was screwed down. Its annoying because of all the effort gone into my car, and some bloke just has to ruin it all. :(

whitey
25-03-03, 10:18 AM
Sorry to hear that mate, maybe de-locking is the way? Deters them! Some people are complete arseholes!

Dave
25-03-03, 10:19 AM
when they tried to nick mine it was outside my mates house at night, they didn't get in but fcuked up the lock, dented the door an made a right mess of it, that's the main reason i de-locked the car to stop little pricks like that. really pis*ed me off. an to make it worse
your ?250 sub will probably now be sold for ?50 tops
i know it sounds stupid but who takes notice of car alarms anyway,

Anton
25-03-03, 10:28 AM
even if you got an alarm, delocking etc they can still get in if the really wanna get in.

everyone knows a modded car is likely to have loads of ice.

best bet is to just try and deter them all you can. Park in a safe place, alarm, remove stereo face plate, steering wheel lock etc

i got a billy bat and a cat 1 lol

Dave
25-03-03, 10:40 AM
everyone knows they are easy to get into, but if you take the locks away then some people will be put off an not even bother.
an if you got a bat in your car have a tennis ball in there aswell

Anton
25-03-03, 10:45 AM
no its a billy bat - baseball bat steering lock :D

GTE-RACER
25-03-03, 10:51 AM
Gutted m8, i had all my ICE stolen a few years back (feckin pikies), never bothered replacing it...strip out the rear seats and get a cage in it :D

mikeoxford
25-03-03, 11:07 AM
fcuk bad news mate :(

on my insurance policy im covered for upto ?300 audio and sat nav equipment, its a sh!t insurance policy and sh!t insurance company, so check for summat similar on yours..........

bugger

much damage to car itself?

Chris LR
25-03-03, 11:22 AM
De-Locking makes very little difference to security.

Hope your car is feelin beta soon.

wisewood
25-03-03, 11:29 AM
at least delocking it stops any muppet with a screwdriver getting in quickly and quietly. there are loads of other ways in too - but locks are by far the most common on novas if you ask me.

unlucky rob - really unlucky!!! gutted for ya.

MattNovaSport
25-03-03, 11:36 AM
De-locking will not stop the common house brick through the window, it only takes a second and you are in, also a spring loaded punch works well for this.

Best thing you can do is make sure that nothing is left in your car at night, and then cross your fingers.

Suppose you could tie a big dog up in the boot but I think the RSPCA would have something to say about this.

P.S. They will be round to sell you the sub back b4 the end of the week. Would not be the first time I have seen this happen.

RobHardyUK
25-03-03, 12:23 PM
Yeah prob. Its annoying cos i dont work much due t being a college fulltime, so i dont earn much, and spend weeks saving for it. The amp was screwed aka left in car, so i think they'll be back for that, but they will b in for a suprise cos i took it out. and the parcel shelf aint there cos idont want no more damage, i.e. they will look in through boot window and see nothing is there and hopefully f**k off. Trouble is, i mean, i am sacrificing my entertainment for there needs. :(

Alex
25-03-03, 12:26 PM
delocking makes a little difference and if you add up all the little differences they DO make an impact. the thieveing scrotes will just try another easier to break into car

Dicko
25-03-03, 01:18 PM
i agree delocking makes a big diff.

left my last sr in a very dodgy place once overnight, came to it at 6am and both windows smashed, but doors had not beened opened, i can just picture the tw4ts having to climb in and out of the windows :D

Snowface
25-03-03, 01:48 PM
this might sound dum but how do you get into your car if it is delocked?
If you have no alarm do you need to get one to operate the locks? Or remote central locking fitted?

I have a 1.2 with no alarm and no central locking. Therefore will i not be able to delock unless i get one of the above?

Jim
25-03-03, 02:00 PM
Thats correct Snowface. You need a remote central locking alarm. Should be your first investment with your car. Delocking does deter thieves, but trim down your door pins so that they sink flush with the door inside when locked. It'll stop the thieves smashing the quater window and lifting up the door pin (like they didwhen they broke into my car).

Sorry to hear about that Rob, just learn by it.

Jim

Ben (lurk75)
25-03-03, 03:06 PM
The benifit of De-locking is that when they do break into your car you only have to replce the glass and not the door and lock.

Just a thing i used to do when i had a stereo in mine, i removed the wriring harness out of the back and swapped the permanent live (red) with the earth (brown) now when i wired the stereo back in you wire the as normal but with the cars live going to what seems the negative and vice versa, but if it gets nicked and they sell it when the new owner installs it they wire the live to the negative etc and blow the output chips wich render the headunit fooked as they can cost more than a new stereo.

I have had my GSi broken into and they smashed two windows to have a look around and i had taken the parcel shelf out to show nothing on display.

?Marty?
25-03-03, 08:09 PM
everyone knows a modded car is likely to have loads of ice

That's why mine is all stripped out, so nothing can be hidden out of sight inside. And there IS no ice, which you can see.

You can have it de-locked/de-handled outside (mine has this), and fit flush door cards inside, with button re-lease to open them, but only when key is in ignition (mine will have this very soon).

Then have security film on glass (and this).

Snap-off boss-kit (yep, got one).

Thatcham Cat1 alarm & immobiliser (and this).
With proximity sensors and pager (this too - so i'm alerted before the car is actually touched, so can get my bat & running shoes ready).

It's stupid leaving bats and etc inside the car, as they will only be used against you. You'll end up getting robbed, and then they'll (try) and defend themselves with your own 'weapon'.

The thing is, if someone wants to get into you car, they will. But, even though things like above will only deter, rather than eradicate, it's still worth doing. Most car thefts are opportunity thefts (unless they know where it is kept, and come especially for it), and the less risk of getting caught/it being less difficult to get in, the less they'll think about it and just do it.
But even if you've taken a lot of protective measures, the more 'special' the things that can be stolen, the more worth the risk becomes.

However, it's easier to prevent the car itself from being stolen, rather than the things inside/on it. As, even if you have enough security to make it very difficult to steal, 'proffessional' car thieves will still be able to do it, but as the risk increases, so must the 'reward'. Which is why more 'exoctic' cars will be targeted more, rather than a modified vauxhall nova, no matter how much it's had spent on it.

?Marty?
25-03-03, 08:25 PM
I've had lots of car break ins. Locks broken when i still had them (on my first car), and then when i got an alarm, it used to stop them by scaring them off, but only after they'd smashed a window and etc.

Then, even though i had a thatcham cat 1 and de-locked, it got broken into in the middle of a busy cinema car park - with security walking around (the fuckers didn't see anything) and cctv - along with 4 other cars at the same time. Smashed the drivers side window, and ripped my cd player out and took around 12 cd's from the glovebox.

So i took more preventative measures. Nothing else has ever been stolen (prob coz there's NOTHING to steal :lol: ). Apart from my mirrors being ripped off. But then it started getting vandalised instead. Key scratches, spray paint and etc. As these don't set the alarm off.
There was not a panel without damage! I guess my car is either targeted by people too gutless to say/do anything to my face (as everyone knows whose car it is where i live) - but word goes around, and when i find out who did it............. :twisted: OR It's just a string of seperate acts of random vandalism/jealousy and etc. Since it does stand out, so why not.

Shit happens i guess. But this is why i won't be going as far as i wanted to with Bomex mirrors, custom bodywork and etc, as i originally planned.

simplesimon
25-03-03, 09:50 PM
How much is this de-locking system? Is it expensive, any websites I can look at? I seem very interested. Like someone said if some twat does decide to break in my car replacing a window is much cheaper that changing your door and lock.

hutton
25-03-03, 10:38 PM
soz 2 hear about ur sub getting nicked, not so long ago my mate had his headunit,sub,amp,about 20 cds,his parcel shelf and 6x9s and clothes nicked from our college "gravel pit" car park. 1 window was smashed but the alarm didnt go off,and when he walked up 2 his car and went to de-activate the alarm it did so as normal,and someone told me that someone may have been sitting in the alley with a scanner that would read and store the information sent to his car as he locked it and that they could then sent this information to the alarm and it would de-activeate it as if it was my mate with the alarm remote, any 1 heard of this kinda thing b4? sounds like u gotta be spending serious money to be on top of the thieves

?Marty?
25-03-03, 10:52 PM
someone may have been sitting in the alley with a scanner that would read and store the information sent to his car as he locked it and that they could then sent this information to the alarm and it would de-activeate it

Yea this has been used for years now. But not normally by opportunist thieves, as it's not too cheap.

But most alarms use 'rolling code', which means it's changed every single time, so that the one used it to lock/unlock it previously, will no longer be accepeted the second time. But there are still ways to get around this unfortunately.

I worked with someone who was doing community service for stealing cars. He was very good at it, but got unlucky (or lucky for the car owner) and got caught. I learnt A LOT from him. Some of the gadgets that motherfucker had!

Although on more 'simple' cars, you can use things found in any normal households and etc.

Delocking- you just remove the locks, and then blank off the hole. You can do this with replacement 'blank' locks, or have it done by a boddyshop (or diy if you're competent) and smoothed into the door. Re-painting will be required, even if to just blend in. Though normally the whole door is done.

Neil.
26-03-03, 01:09 AM
well ive got a proximity sensor on my alarm(main reason why i got it), which i like to think deturs thiefs coz it makes a very high pitched screech sound, so hopefully they'll think not to bother. even tho ppl say it's annoying, it will hopfully keep my car safe.
My ice: sub box is screwed down to flase floor, with wings on box going to sides of boot(which 6x9's sit in) screwed to body work, then im putting mdf going right across the boot sitting on top of the subs flush so they cant get to the screws(if they have enough time to do undo all screws) then carpeting it all.
What u lot think about that?

Dave
26-03-03, 09:00 AM
Sounds very nice but one thing you've got to realise
if they want it they are gonna have it

RobHardyUK
26-03-03, 09:06 AM
Is it cheaper for just the window to be replaced? My unc who done my car is gonna repair it anyway, but still need a new lock :(

Ste_Nova
26-03-03, 09:48 AM
my amps were bolted to the floor.... they bent the floor removing them :evil: then my hu was bolted in and they distroyed the dash!! (still didn't get the ?400 hu :P )

now i have a shitter car to drive round in (the lock falls out of the door if you slam it too hard.. lmfao)

?Marty?
26-03-03, 03:05 PM
They should make i.c.e. equipment so that if it's removed without authorisation, it blows up and splatters glow in the dark paint all over the place.

Like them securicor money boxes and etc.

:D

Dave
26-03-03, 03:30 PM
in car dye packs like your thinking marty!

Harpo_8
27-03-03, 05:49 PM
i had my car done on saturday too (along with 7 others!!!!) there's a little firm going around millwall parking area's during the games and doing our cars! The games are that bad these days i might just sit in the car and wait for em!! :twisted:

anyway mines delocked so they went throught the windonw and knicked CD played multi-changer, 10cd in changer, back shelf (including 6x9's) and all my change in the pot!!! 10-15p??? is it worth it

absolutly gutted but could have been worse coulda been the whole car!!!

Mel
28-03-03, 10:00 PM
Bad Luck...even though the lock needs replacing..be thankful the car wasnt stolen and set on fire..then it would really be a waste of time and effort..

Good luck on fixing the motor up tho.

novaboy_southwest
29-03-03, 12:56 PM
you dont need alarm but will need both central locking and keyless entry systems not dear in the process of doing mine deters theifs and looks mint

Fester
29-03-03, 03:33 PM
the white SR i had was standard stereo throughout, only the HU was temperaMENTAL and didnt work often, only when it did it sounded like it was underwater lol. i only ever had 1 tape in the car, with 3 songs recorded on it lol got used to driving with no sounds, now i CANT drive with music on, i need to hear the engine, the road etc

all of this just re-affirms my mind in that i might get a really cheap CD HU second hand (no not dodgy) and leave it at that, it all seems like too much hassle. people clock you driving around with the tunes thumping, if they see the car parked up a month or two later they will know the gold is inside :x

Snowface
29-03-03, 03:45 PM
should get hold of some of that glass? that the BMW has in James Bond Tomo never dies. That stuff is pretty strong. and the remote control aswell while ur at it. lol.