PDA

View Full Version : Battery advice required

16xe_chris
14-12-09, 10:37 AM
I'm looking to get my hands on a new, small, lightweight battery but the problem is choice :confused:

If a standard nova runs off a 063 battery which has a cca of 440amps and a capacity of 44ah

Can i fit a battery which has a cca of 685amps and a capacity of 26ah ( varley red top 30 )

:confused:

Its the capacity of battery's i don't understand, it will be going onto my rally car, so i need to know if it will start it up and run with no problems??

All that the alternator will be seing is the intercom, engine fans occasionally and power steering pump.

Any advice people as i'm proper confused :tard:

16xe_chris
14-12-09, 11:14 AM
I've done a bit more searching and found out that my eninge has a:

Engine Displacement (CID) is 98
Engine CID = 98

Number of Cylinders = 4Computation Results:

Computed CCA is 196.

So by this i'm guessing that any battery that has over 200cca is going to be okay?

Steve0011
14-12-09, 11:31 AM
register here http://www.britishrally.co.uk/forum/index.php there is a tech section, im sure someone will be able to help :)

garyc
14-12-09, 11:38 AM
Those small batteries are now being used on autograss class 1 & 2's without an alternator so you shouldnt have any issues. The cranking output is basicaslly the amount of power the battery can supply to turn over the starter.

16xe_chris
14-12-09, 11:49 AM
Those small batteries are now being used on autograss class 1 & 2's without an alternator so you shouldnt have any issues. The cranking output is basicaslly the amount of power the battery can supply to turn over the starter.

The class 1's are 1000cc and class 2's are 1300cc which only need a spark and occasional brake lighting, don't they carry a spare battery to start the car with in the pits?

So aslong as i get a battery that has roughly 440 cranking amps it'll be ontop of its job :thumb:

garyc
14-12-09, 12:29 PM
thats correct, but they dont run an alternator, well most dont! I'm not sure if they use a spare battery in the pits, maybe stick em on charge off a genny!

Southie
14-12-09, 01:25 PM
Is a small battery going to be ample to run a lamp pod on your rally car, bearing in mind you'll be needing it in Feb mate. ;)

Guderian
14-12-09, 05:26 PM
The SAE and DIN ratings for cold cranking amps are a modern way of interpreting the battery's suitability for it's purpose, but the old 'Ampere hour' rating gives you a reasonable idea. 44Ah battery perfectly adequate for a petrol of say 1.6 or 1.8 litre, so i would say yes, a 26Ah unit would probably be adequate for you, albeit with a shorter expected life.

AlexW
14-12-09, 05:30 PM
Is a small battery going to be ample to run a lamp pod on your rally car, bearing in mind you'll be needing it in Feb mate. ;)

Thats more alt, if your battery is going flat with the lights on and the car on the move the alt needs more amps!

Guderian
14-12-09, 05:40 PM
..... And not to mention the alt boosts the battery voltage by 20% and therefore the bulb brightness by around 40%. So vital for night stages regardless of the size of your battery.

MattBrown
14-12-09, 05:41 PM
Thats more alt, if your battery is going flat with the lights on and the car on the move the alt needs more amps!

All you use a battery for is starting the car, the alternator does the rest!

Or, as you were driving along your battery would go flat?lol

AlexW
14-12-09, 06:11 PM
Yep! Alt runs the car and charges it. Batt just as said starts the car and then powers your epic subs and amps while the car isnt running and your inpressing your home boys.

16xe_chris
15-12-09, 11:28 PM
Yep! Alt runs the car and charges it. Batt just as said starts the car and then powers your epic subs and amps while the car isnt running and your inpressing your home boys.

lol lol

Could you imagine a rally car nova turning up to the start line dropping some drum and bass lol

The alternator i'll be using is a standard one, so hopefully that should be able to cope with the light pod, if i get chance to buy one with the funking entry fee price!!!!:mad:

Fingers crossed a 26ah will do the job otherwise i'll need a bigger battery box :cry:

16xe_chris
15-12-09, 11:36 PM
..... And not to mention the alt boosts the battery voltage by 20% and therefore the bulb brightness by around 40%. So vital for night stages regardless of the size of your battery.

I'm guessing the standard output of a normal alternator will or should be able to cope with the extra strain of 400w of lights:confused:

The lamps if i get them fitted will only be used for about 1mile then turned off, drive all the way back to the start and do the same again, they will only be needed twice on the friday evening.

Any info always appreciated

Also anyone got any recomendations on manufacturer's, i was thinking of getting a varley red top??