PDA

View Full Version : gearbox problem techies please read!

mikeoxford
25-03-03, 09:33 AM
the F13 gearbox going on my engine a sprocket has slipped.

within the differential casing there is four cogs right? the top one and bottom one are fine, the passenger side shaft sprocket is fine. but it appears the driver side sproket is missing.

after removing the geartbox sump and getting covered in red gearbox treacle oil :roll: :lol:

i found the sprocket and shim in the sump, nothing is damaged but its obviously fell out or been thrown out under load or summat

:?: question is without removing the gearbox from the car how can i get the bugger back in?

last resort will to swap the gearbox and take it back where bought it.

may end up doing this unless theres a solution?

Dave_Hay
25-03-03, 04:51 PM
youll have to take the gearbox out, unless you got really small pointy and long fingers.

prob easier just swapping gearboxes.

CP
25-03-03, 07:46 PM
Jack up front and secure. Undo front mount retaining nuts on tie bars. Undo nuts and bolts that secure TCA 's to body. Pull TCAs down and free of body and yank the tie bar out of the front mount. Swing wheels right out sideways and pop drive shafts out. Unscrew the differential retainer ( where the passenger side drive shaft goes into - check haynes) You will now be able to wriggle the differential complete with crown wheel attached to it down and out of the differential housing.

Its a fiddly job but you can now withdraw the shafts that hold the planetary gears out of the diff on the bench so you can replace the one thats out. You will probably need several goes to get this right as its a bit like a chinese puzzle. Its easy to get it back together but not so easy to get it all correctly aligned. I got a piece of tube run thru the planetary gears to help me.

or you could just get another complete diff :lol:

or a quaife ATB diff :wink:

mikeoxford
26-03-03, 12:27 AM
well thanks for your helps guys i will have a crack

the problem was solved by buying a nova gte F13CR gearbox and whacking it on.

ill have aplay with the box, if not ill take it back and say what u sold me was fcuked

cheers again all

ill try your methods see if i can fix it.