PDA

View Full Version : Dash bulb replacement

Keif
13-12-09, 10:30 PM
As it was nice, the Mrs and I have been out in the GSi today.
One thing was clear tho, we'd never been out in the dark since buying it, as we noticed today quite a few dash bulbs were out.
I'm not worried about the fuel gauge or clock, as they're easy to sort.
My worry is two of the three heater switch bulbs have blown.
How difficult are they to replace? and what do I need to remove to replace them?
Also should the headlight switch light up?
Shower me with the knowledge of PNG.
Thanks

Benn
13-12-09, 11:04 PM
Take the vent trim off (2 toqurx screws on top, one Philips under the left vent) then you can get to the heater and direct dials, they just slide in the top. The fan speed you'll need to pull out as the bulb sits in the back of it.

Yes there's one in the lights switch. Same as the fan speed dial, you'll need to pull it out to replace, these are a bit more tricky. My way is a pair of grips with taped up ends then pull.

Keif
14-12-09, 08:43 AM
Thanks Benn, i've had the vents out before to do the resistor Mod. So that should be fine.
Looks like i'll have a fight with the light switch again then, wahoo.

Guderian
14-12-09, 05:44 PM
The fan switch has two slots that are visible when you pull the heated rear window to 'on'. Shove two small screwdrivers in to release the tangs.

These bulbs blow so quickly because some bright spark wired them to the ignition rather than the sidelights. A vauxhall thing..

Benn
14-12-09, 06:03 PM
to do the resistor Mod.

? On what?

AlexW
14-12-09, 06:08 PM
? On what?

To stop the hazzard switch being turned over and turning the ign on.

Benn
14-12-09, 06:10 PM
Oh, cause that will stop it getting nicked...lol

AlexW
14-12-09, 06:14 PM
Might help a little :)

Spudly
14-12-09, 07:10 PM
The headlight switch removes in the same way as the heater switch, turn it to sidelights on, pull it out and a very tiny flatblade screwdriver wither side to release the tangs and it will pull free, its rather fiddly to do but patience and you will get it:thumb:

Keif
14-12-09, 10:31 PM
Please note it should read Diode mod, not resistor mod. Had a blonde moment. I realise it's not the compete answer to Nova security, but it's a mod that may as well be done (especially as i had some diodes available for free)

I've had the headlight switch out before, so now i know that the heated rear screen/heater knob is the same principle i should be O.K.

May do a How to for this, i know it's not a huge task, but if it's in pictures/works on here it should help others if needed.

AlexW
14-12-09, 10:37 PM
Should be in the haynes anyway?

Keif
14-12-09, 10:55 PM
Fed up of searching through the Haynes Book of Lies, and getting no where. When there's plenty of people who know on here.

AlexW
15-12-09, 01:00 AM
Hmm never had a prob myself?

Dave.
15-12-09, 02:41 AM
i went to replace mine, after finally getting to them, they were all blown

I then went to a scrappy, and aquired 18, every single one was blown lol

I gave in, going to get some white l.e.d ones for mine, last longer :thumb:

Benn
15-12-09, 08:21 AM
You got bulbs from a scrappy? Christ!

I thought pulling the switch forward and using a screw drive underneath only got the knob off.. But years since i did it that way tho.. A hard pull normal gets them off.. I changed all mine to blue led, but they are toss at lighting the dial bits up so changed them all back to bulbs. Now you can see the fan speed and suck perfectly.

AlexW
15-12-09, 12:22 PM
Ive got blue ones in my tigra and they work perfect :p

Keif
15-12-09, 12:40 PM
You got bulbs from a scrappy? Christ!

There's logic there.

I need 4 clock (speedo,rev counter etc) bulbs, they retail at Vauxhall for £3.13 + VAT each.

£14.40 for four bulbs :eek:

Thank fook for my discount.

The rest of the dash now lights up fine. :thumb:

Guderian
15-12-09, 01:15 PM
^^^ £14.40 ouch!

Note that the 'quarter turn' dash bulbs came in two versions- one where the bulb was removable and one where the wires were soldered/welded in. They are interchangeable, wattage permitting.

The wee little 1.2w push ins are about £9 for a box of ten from vauxhall

Guderian
15-12-09, 01:17 PM
I didn't quite explain that right...I meant the bulb and bulb holder cannot be separated.

Spudly
15-12-09, 08:01 PM
There's logic there.

I need 4 clock (speedo,rev counter etc) bulbs, they retail at Vauxhall for £3.13 + VAT each.

£14.40 for four bulbs :eek:

Thank fook for my discount.

The rest of the dash now lights up fine. :thumb:

Which Vaux dealers you been going to, theyre only about £0.75p from my local one:eek:

Keif
15-12-09, 10:33 PM
There's obviously more than one that fits then, I pay mates rates at my local dealer. Do you have the part number for yours? Also Guderian, the 10 for £9, have you the part number for these?

I'm friendly with alot of the staff, it was a text from one of the sales staff (a mate) which pointed me to the GSi I now look after.

Guderian
16-12-09, 01:47 PM
yep will look tonight still got box for them (1.2w 5mm)

Benn
16-12-09, 07:20 PM
If your doing ones in the clocks, replace them with leds. They look much nicer.

Guderian
17-12-09, 08:30 AM
^^^ true enough, just remember to salvage them when you get rid of the car!

pt no. for filament 1.2w on the box is 93190474, but i think this refers to the individual bulbs not the pack of 10.

As for the 'quarter turn' dash bulbs their sockets can often be salvaged and new 1.2w bulbs pushed in.