View Full Version : What car

DAFTJOHN
13-12-09, 09:14 PM
I'm going for an new car next week and have it down to

Clio sport
corsa Vxr
focus st
a6 3.0 tdi

do about 25 to 30 k a year....anyone have experience of these cars or any suggestions have 11k to spend

Ben
13-12-09, 09:15 PM
with the mileage you do there is only one choice from the list above! The A6

let_nova
13-12-09, 09:17 PM
A6 a pals just bought one for commuting.

auzzy2000
13-12-09, 09:20 PM
a6 all day with tht mileage.

DAFTJOHN
13-12-09, 09:22 PM
Was thinking that lol but always liked me wee go kart cars, saying that the a6 is quick enough...need to get on the hunt now :)

Spudly
13-12-09, 09:23 PM
Id say Audi on that one mate, diesels these days you can extract epic power and speed from aswell if you wanna play with them:thumb:

Ben
13-12-09, 09:27 PM
Well if you prefer hot hatches then why not go for something like a Cupra TDi or a Golf GT TDi

blue_peg_16v
13-12-09, 09:32 PM
a6 all the way

vaughanmc
13-12-09, 09:34 PM
Out of those 4 I'd say the A6 as you still have the Nova to hammer about in :)

Stuart
13-12-09, 09:43 PM
hope you have a spare few grand for back physio if you get a VAG group car that isnt an A8 lol

DAFTJOHN
13-12-09, 09:44 PM
Well if you prefer hot hatches then why not go for something like a Cupra TDi or a Golf GT TDi
I quite like cupras, I'll have a good look tomorrow and see what's out there

w88rdy
13-12-09, 10:04 PM
hope you have a spare few grand for back physio if you get a VAG group car that isnt an A8 lol

You having a laugh? we drive novas lol

Aragorn
13-12-09, 10:13 PM
Why an A6? You've listed 3 sh*tbox hatches and a huge luxobarge?

A4 3.0TDi Quattro would be where my money would go, or an A8 4.2 TDI

If your buying an audi it needs to be a 4wd.

Ben
13-12-09, 10:16 PM
A4, cost lot more than the A6

Joe Richardson
13-12-09, 10:17 PM
The only Audi id ever buy is an old shape s3 or a b7 RS4...other than that i wouldn't toach them,and i work on them for a living aswell lol

Nobby
13-12-09, 10:19 PM
A6 all day!! mint on fuel for a 3.0 and go very very well!

craig green
13-12-09, 10:22 PM

Clio sport
corsa Vxr
focus st
a6 3.0 tdi

do about 25 to 30 k a year....anyone have experience of these cars or any suggestions have 11k to spend

I dread to think what fuel economy those 2 turbo hot-hatches would return at those annual mileages. Odd choices though, like deciding between a Lotus Elise or a Renault Scenic..

German all the way! BMW Diesel??

bazil
13-12-09, 11:43 PM
The only Audi id ever buy is an old shape s3 or a b7 RS4...other than that i wouldn't toach them,and i work on them for a living aswell lol

:thumb: ive got a S3, imola yellow, 210 had it 6 years now and it's cost me less to run in 6 years than my nova cost me in 3 years,
JOHN forget an ST my mates got one, to much power, not enough traction, no spare wheel only about a 40 litre fuel tank and he only gets bout 21 mpg, as a daily driver buy an audi.

t45_ste
13-12-09, 11:57 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2003-VOLKSWAGEN-PHAETON-V6-5-SEAT-MAROON_W0QQitemZ200417617818QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAut omobiles_UK?hash=item2ea9d2279a

motorway cruiser

old skool jake
14-12-09, 06:47 AM

Clio sport
corsa Vxr
focus st
a6 3.0 tdi

for that kinda money may i suggest, a honda accord 2.2 ctdi. wouldnt take up all your budget so leave a grand over and get 18's, eibachs and a cheeky remap bringing you up to 185 ish bhp and 320 torque.
ive got one and would recommend one, i do fairly big miles and the are fairly inexpensive to run, i get 51 mpg and im sure the tax is just £120 a year, insurance group 12

Stuart
14-12-09, 09:27 AM
You having a laugh? we drive novas lol

Every single VAG car I've ever been in bar an A8 and my mates MK2 golf gti(which had bucket seats lol) has been so so so uncomfortable its not funny.
My dads A3 is nasty, the works fleet of current model passats are again very uncomfortable etc, even when I was a car wash monkey at a VW dealers, all the cars werent nice to sit in.

Ammusingly I could never get my omegas billion ay adjustable seats to be as comfy as nova seats for a long drive lol

Comfiest car ever..... VX220 with cloth seats (best downgrade I ever did was to bin the leather). 11K would get you a ratehr good nick one, 2.2 will rock approx 40mpg on the motorway, they dont really need that much maintenence etc.... go onnnn ;)

Aragorn
14-12-09, 09:48 AM
I find our A4 is more comfy than most modern hatches by a long way.

The A4 is stiff, but rides properly, whereas every recent hatch i've been in seem to be really harsh in comparison.

The seating position itself is fine, however rear legroom leaves much to be desired if the front seat passengers are long.

I wouldnt buy an A6 unless you need the boot space. The A8 is the same size, but has less boot space and more cabin space than the A6. It also has some very tasty V8 TDI motors. Hence my suggestion of an A4 or A8. The 3.0TDi is a very nice motor, and chipped it makes mindbending torque and very good power figures. 4.2L V8 TDI in the A8 kicks out just over 320hp though!

DAFTJOHN
14-12-09, 10:02 AM
I like hot hatches but they're probably not best for what I need a car for lol

I think the A6 is comfy - my old boss had the 3.0 TDI S Line Le Mans and for motorway stuff it was very good and quick.

Fair play on the ST - like the look of it but not if it's going to do 21 mpg!

If it was an A4 it would need to be an estate - when I'm in the A4 they feel too small - I know the hot hatches are small but they're supposed to be...

I have a BMW coupe now, so kind of want to change brand.

Stuart
14-12-09, 11:29 AM
a TDCI Focus would be acceptable imho. V comfy, even in the back of a 3dr there was lots of leg/headroom to do a long journey in comfort.

Prehaps its just me, the other half and one bloke at work that find VAG cars hideously uncomfortable lol (not to mention dull as funk to drive but that is very subjective).

lots of 'sporty' models appear to just have the damping cranked up to make it feel better without changing the springs.... in reality you want to stiffen the springs and soften the dampers to get the right handling and good ride.

andy_017
14-12-09, 12:51 PM
Definitly a corsa vxr imo!

DAFTJOHN
14-12-09, 01:02 PM
The ever changable John has decided to give my 3 series one more chance.... Going to replace the rocker box and gaskets and hope....no pray that solves the oil leak - if it doesn't then I go for a new car. Just can't make my mind up what to get.

Think they should limit cars to 2 of each, big, slow, fast and small!

craig green
14-12-09, 01:20 PM
Definitly a corsa vxr imo!

The chav weapon of choice (sadly)

Alanmc
14-12-09, 01:26 PM
Don't expect to get 21mpg from a focus st, i only get 200 miles to a tank in mine, although it is tuned a bit but even with that the fuel isn't much worse than standard

16v Nova Kev
14-12-09, 01:34 PM
get a skoda superb tdi like mine. great car

Rich
14-12-09, 01:40 PM
Skodas are actually really nice cars to drive... lol

And no way would i go with a corsa vxr.. they are bad enough to drive for 5 minutes, no way id get in one for a motorway journey!

DAFTJOHN
14-12-09, 01:59 PM
Don't expect to get 21mpg from a focus st, i only get 200 miles to a tank in mine, although it is tuned a bit but even with that the fuel isn't much worse than standard

:eek: that's 16 mpg

Aragorn
14-12-09, 02:32 PM
Stu: The sport models almost certainly have different springs, as they're usually lowered compared to SE's, The dampers are different too, and the antiroll bar is uprated.

Our B5 sits about 20mm lower than a SE version, and i've fitted some front dampers from an S4 to replace the 180k old fronts, which has made it noticably firmer at the front. The rear dampers are original and really need changed, but even with the higher rate S4 dampers up front the ride is fine. I think heavier cars can carry off being stiff without being harsh much better than a smaller hatch, although the kerb weight on ours is only 1340kgs.

I also prefer the estate, and agree, it is a "small" big car. But i'm in the front most of the time, so its not as much of an issue.

Unfortunately the derv engine choices for the B5 are poor, the 1.9 while a decent motor is pretty gutless, and the V6 only makes 150hp and has a particularly unreliable injection pump (same pump thats used on 2.5TD E36's and is equally unreliable on those too!) so we went with the 1.8T. It will return around 35mpg on a run, although it will dip below 30 if theres a lot of stop start town driving.

Presumably your looking at a B6 or B7 which has the much better V6 TDI's. If your buying a big torquey derv, quattro is a must, and avoid the multitronic box like the plague (although i dont think they fitted it to the 3.0)

Joe Richardson
14-12-09, 07:41 PM
:thumb: ive got a S3, imola yellow, 210 had it 6 years now and it's cost me less to run in 6 years than my nova cost me in 3 years,
JOHN forget an ST my mates got one, to much power, not enough traction, no spare wheel only about a 40 litre fuel tank and he only gets bout 21 mpg, as a daily driver buy an audi.

lovely cars mate,and in yellow too,i would have a yellow one :thumb:

got any pics of it :)

Stuart
14-12-09, 08:46 PM

Mountune calibration (oops map for you lot :p ) increases MPG and power on the ST :)

loggyboy
14-12-09, 09:26 PM
Drivin the clio sport (197) and the VXR. Both good cars, power delivery is alot more even with the VXR despite being a turbo. You really have to rev the clio to get best of if, however in the bends the 197 is such a good car, its nimble and fun and you cant help but smile. I felt the VXRs handling was a little stiffled, but the engine made up for it. However for a cost comparison, you could get a similar age clio for about 3k less, so it would be an easy decision for me out of those two (hence by the wife has her 197!)

He get a religious 27mpg out the clio with many-a high speed mile.

Missus previous car was a Fiesta ST, which was very nimble, but lacked in guts compated to 197 and VXR., The focus would no doubt fair better in the power stakes, but is a larger car than the clio/corsa so not really comparible.

Not driven the audi of the ST, but as mentioned above they are very different animals.

dave watson
14-12-09, 09:29 PM
corsa vxr m8

bazil
14-12-09, 10:55 PM
lovely cars mate,and in yellow too,i would have a yellow one :thumb:

got any pics of it :)

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy181/Bazil_2468/AudiS3Quattro.jpg

hope this works, its my first image post:confused:

Joe Richardson
14-12-09, 11:19 PM
http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy181/Bazil_2468/AudiS3Quattro.jpg

hope this works, its my first image post:confused:

looks nice matey,is it your everyday car:thumb:

nice wheels on it aswell ;)

bazil
14-12-09, 11:23 PM
aye mate i use her every day, not got those wheels anymore after a few potholes and a snapped front spring :tard: ive got the 10 spoke R32 replicas now,

Joe Richardson
14-12-09, 11:28 PM
aye mate i use her every day, not got those wheels anymore after a few potholes and a snapped front spring :tard: ive got the 10 spoke R32 replicas now,

ah right,they still look well :thumb:

Is the engine got any mods then,or standard :confused:

Welsh Dan
14-12-09, 11:35 PM
ST TDCI Mondeo?
http://img2.netcarshow.com/Ford-Mondeo_ST_TDCi_2005_1024x768_wallpaper_03.jpg