PDA

View Full Version : C20XE rebuild parts - brands?

Iain
13-12-09, 07:07 PM
Looking to buy some piston rings for a C20XE, is there certain brands I should be looking out for or avoiding? Are certain brands recommended, like Mahle?

I already have some 'King Bearings' bottom end bearings that I am going to use.

Sounds a dumb question but might as well ask before I buy...

Edit: Also looking at new valves, any that are recommended, either standard or better? And is it worth replacing the valve springs?

let_nova
13-12-09, 07:24 PM
autovaux for valves,

craig green
13-12-09, 07:27 PM
Just avoid buying such items from ebay, half the crap on there is imitation Chinese crap. More than likely break on the 1st turn of the key if they didnt snap when fitting them.

I'd imagine Mahle, GM, Payen, Goetze & other brands are fine, as will anything you source from an engine builder. If its good enough for them to use when the put their own guarantee on a rebuilt engine, they must be happy & tried/tested to continue fitting the brand they buy.

djbrowney
13-12-09, 07:30 PM
rings/shells made by mahla would have been standard

but some people use the likes of glyco/acl

gaskets made buy elring

Iain
13-12-09, 07:30 PM
Good advice, thanks. I got the bottom end bearings from the guy at Autosprint with that in mind. :)

Will check out some of the brands above for new rings. Agreed, I didn't really fancy some of the unbranded cheaper ones on eBay.

Got a GM head gasket set to use so it's just a couple of odd gaskets to source, but I'll look for Elring.

Any suggestions on whether to replace valve springs, and if there are any worthwhile valve upgrades?

djbrowney
13-12-09, 07:31 PM
i have a good set of valves if needed whats wrong with yours ?

djbrowney
13-12-09, 07:32 PM
give autovaux losts of abuse on the phone they love a good haggle lol lol lol

Iain
13-12-09, 07:33 PM
A couple of my valves have heat marks and some have pitting, and I've managed to drop them and lose their original order, so I was just thinking of buying a new set and wondering if there's any upgrades available? And if springs should be replaced.

djbrowney
13-12-09, 07:36 PM
if its a standard xe mate i wouldnt worry, if there damaged just buy some second hand ones complete waste of money imo everything will fit when you grind the valves back in lol

Iain
13-12-09, 07:37 PM
OK fair play! And the springs?

djbrowney
13-12-09, 07:38 PM
same with those buddy, just check the guides aint cracked !

tom reid
14-12-09, 03:09 PM
Always worth fitting new springs mate, gimme a call.