PDA

View Full Version : TAX & MOT Question

Bobminda
13-12-09, 11:56 AM
Do I need TAX or MOT to drive to the MOT station ?

Ive got insurance so no problems there !

dougie_boi
13-12-09, 11:58 AM
as long as its booked in and is insured you can drive to the nearest mot garage i think mate

xe_nova9
13-12-09, 12:00 PM
If its booked in you can drive it there with no tax or mot.

AlexW
13-12-09, 12:02 PM
You must be insured, but your insurance is void if you drive without mot/tax lmfao

Bobminda
13-12-09, 12:07 PM
RESULT Cheers fellas

Also just found this on Direct gov website

Driving an untaxed vehicle to an MOT test

You can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station as long as you have adequate insurance cover in place for the use of that vehicle.

wwmnw
13-12-09, 12:07 PM
My car was SORN when I drove it to the MOT station.

Bobminda
13-12-09, 12:09 PM
My car was SORN when I drove it to the MOT station.

Yes mine will be as well, Should be fine me's thinks

:thumb:

wwmnw
13-12-09, 12:14 PM
I never had no problems, I tax'd it straight after it past its mot mind :thumb:

L14MNP
13-12-09, 12:17 PM
Insurance and a booked test is all you need. If it fails you are allowed to drive it directly home only.

There is no limit to how far away the test station can be and I shall be exploiting this rule in the next week or so to acquire a car from Kent. lol

Spudly
13-12-09, 12:20 PM
Insurance and a booked test is all you need. If it fails you are allowed to drive it directly home only.

Iirc, last time this question came up it was actually discovered if your vehicle fails you cannot drive it home legally, it must stay at the test station for the failiure work to be carried out:thumb:

L14MNP
13-12-09, 12:23 PM
Oooh. There's so much conflicting information lol. I'd just book another test. lol

Jack
13-12-09, 12:24 PM
You must be insured, but your insurance is void if you drive without mot/tax lmfao
^ this is quite often true. Check the particulars of your insurance to make sure there's no clause in the small print that states the car needs tax/SORN or MOT if its to be driven on the road.

Spudly
13-12-09, 12:25 PM
In all fairness youd get away with driving it home if it fails as everyone and his dog does it, if stopped you could show em youre taking it back from a test station and i reckon youd be alright, just make sure theres absolutely nothing it could or should fail on and you should be sorted, but double check all your lights and such beforehand as its been posted on here many times before that people dont even do that and theyve had novas fail on bulbs on a mot, well why didnt you check or replace them you plums lol

wwmnw
13-12-09, 12:29 PM
My drivers side wing indicator stopped working the day before the mot, the day after, it started working again.

L14MNP
13-12-09, 12:30 PM
All of the above is true. Even with the rise of ANPR I wouldn't worry about it though lol. Unless it's an obvious POS you will just blend in. Insure it and you're fine.

I had no MOT for two months and encountered many a traffic car/scamera van etc.

As Spud says, FFS check it over first though. At the very least all of the simple things. lol

L33 LEG
13-12-09, 12:57 PM

There is no limit to how far away the test station can be and I shall be exploiting this rule in the next week or so to acquire a car from Kent. lol

I've done this loads of times. I drove from birmingham with no tax or mot and obviously wouldnt of been insured on the database. i was in a mouldy beat up E30 cab and drove past a few traffic cops and i still didnt get pulled over. I*n fact, i have driven to mot stations with loads of cars without being on any database and have never been pulled.

As said though, only thing you need is insurance.

Bobminda
13-12-09, 01:04 PM
Cheers all !!