PDA

View Full Version : HSV Maloo R8

Mike
13-12-09, 10:55 AM
Australia's version of our VXR8, except in "Ute" stylee.

Whadda ya think?

http://www.walkinshawperformance.com.au/wp/2008/uk/images/models/maloor8_01_full.jpg

Ute of the matter

Pigeonhole: World's fastest ute.

Philosophy: Add one Chevrolet Corvette V8 engine, performance brakes, sports suspension and sticky tyres. The result: utopia.

Trivia: The Maloo is sold out for three months. Production is delayed while HSV awaits computer components for the traction control system which is, incidentally, a first on an Australian-made ute. The 6.0-litre V8 has 298kilowatts of power but HSV claims 297kilowatts because the marketing department reckoned a 7 looked better on the badge.

Who'w buying it: Blue- and white-collar blokes who have served their apprenticeship and are now making some decent coin, mate. This is their reward, and their way of showing that they've made it. During the week it lugs tools, on weekends it might tow power-skis or trail bikes.

Why you'd buy it: Street cred in spades. It's the cheapest ticket to this much V8 performance, a poor man's Monaro (hey, it has two doors). Girlfriends like them because there's no room for the boyfriend's mates.

Why you wouldn't: Sixty grand is a lot for a ute, even one this good.

Standard equipment: Luxury, mate. Bloody luxury. Climate controlled air-conditioning, remote entry, six-CD player, sports instruments, leather steering wheel with audio controls, cup holders from the Saab 9-5 luxury sedan. The list goes on.

Safety: Dual air bags, traction control, anti-lock brakes and race-style discs. Side air bags are not available.

Cabin: Sorry chief, no dirty boots or sweaty singlets allowed. The driver's sports leather seat has good tilt adjustment but still feels too high. The dashboard and instrument panel have silver highlights to match the alloy pedals, gear lever and handbrake, but it's too bright and distracting in sunlight in my opinion. Other models in the range have a more sombre finish.

Engine: This is what the fuss is all about and the only giveaways are tiny badges on the tailgate and vents in the front fenders. The 6.0-litre V8 (298kilowatts/530Nm) is the most powerful engine fitted to an Australian-made ute; 90 per cent of torque is available from 1600rpm. The power comes on in a seamless surge.

Transmission: Four-speed auto or six-speed manual, the latter the preferred choice. Gearshifts are solid rather than slick.

Steering: Well weighted in corners but, for my liking, a bit too light and vague on the straight ahead at freeway speeds.

Handling: HSV has performed an amazing double act: it has bigger wheels yet rides better than a Commodore SS. It just goes to show what decent shock absorbers can do. The ride is almost supple by comparison. The massive 19-inch Pirellis are great in the wet or dry, if a little noisier than the Bridgestones (HSV's previous tyre supplier) on some surfaces.

Fuel: On the open road, expect 10 litres/100kilometres remarkable for a big engine and between 14 and 20 litres/100kilometres.

Brakes: The R8 gets race-style cross-drilled discs. At low speeds the pedal feels hard and the brakes lack bite, but they are still effective. There is some brake squeal and groaning (caused by the tiny holes in the disc which cool and clean the pads) after they've had a workout. This is normal, we're told. Even bigger discs with six-piston AP calipers are a $3750 option for really serious drivers. These brakes (sampled on another HSV) have a sharper and more responsive feel.

Warranty: Three years/100,000kilometres.

Audio: Below average sound from six-CD/radio unit. AC/DC wouldn't approve.

Costs: The basic Maloo is $54,250. The Maloo R8 tested is $61,450 and gains cross-drilled brakes, leather upholstery, hard tonneau cover and extra instruments in the cabin. Both prices are for six-speed manual or four-speed automatic. Deals are unlikely as there is a waiting list.

Verdict: As with a $3000 handbag and a $300 designer dress for a toddler, the HSV Maloo R8 is an emotional purchase.

Bubba
13-12-09, 10:59 AM
i loved it when i saw it on top gear...and i love it now

Sloth
13-12-09, 11:02 AM
tasty, but the older version is the same motor and shell for less cash.

Mike
13-12-09, 11:03 AM
According to my sister, there ten a penny in Sydney, much like VXR8's are in Wilmslow in Cheshire (i saw 5 there last weekend lol)

Yeah but Sloth, come on man, the older ones (Monaro style utes) dont look half as nice as one of these!!

sport
13-12-09, 03:46 PM
Was in Oz in january this year the amount you see is unbelevable and yes i would have one.

L14MNP
13-12-09, 03:55 PM
It's unreal that we never got the Holden HSR until now.
There's some serious ute's over there as said.

Mike
13-12-09, 03:58 PM
They have some of the most powerful pick ups you can get any where in the world as standard in Australia, shame as said, you cant get them all that easy over here :(

L14MNP
13-12-09, 03:59 PM
Meant HSV. Not frickin Chevettes lol.

Ford do some hot ones too. :P

Aye, I have alot of family over there. My cousin had a Mustang when 17. Talk about unfair. lol

poultergeist
14-12-09, 12:31 AM
tasty, but the older version is the same motor and shell for less cash.

The older one is much better looking too imo

blue_peg_16v
14-12-09, 12:35 AM
awsome tail happy beasts

Hobbit
14-12-09, 05:12 AM
Oh yes :) I'd have one if i could afford it. :(

Bubba
14-12-09, 05:05 PM
on dave :P now!