PDA

View Full Version : cam

Shorty
24-03-03, 09:56 PM
whats the best cam i can fit to my 1.2spi? can i just fit an sr cam or something without changing springs nd shit? where can i get a guide to do this? HELP :roll:

_JH_
24-03-03, 10:02 PM
http://www.novaload.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67749 Cam spec

as for the guide, see your haynes

CP
24-03-03, 10:33 PM
You can swap a 1.4 cam into the 1.2 head. Leave the valves, springs and hydraulic lifters as they are and swap in the cam and the followers making sure to keep them in the order they were removed if you are using a second hand cam.

mikeoxford
25-03-03, 09:48 AM
as cp said

also if the cam is already in an engine, in a cam shaft carrier (uppermost part of engine) then just leave it as it is and swap the whole assembly over.

maybe change the seal on either end if there bad, usually fine though.

remember to use jointing compound between engine head and camshaft assembly

Shorty
25-03-03, 05:18 PM
theres an sr at the scrappy, not sure if its an 1.3 or 1.4 how can u tell? do u just undo the bolts and lift it off or is it complicated?

Aragorn
25-03-03, 05:24 PM
wont really matter if its 13 or 14 both are waaay better than the standard

just undo all the head bolts and remove the cam belt and it will all come off

Shorty
26-03-03, 05:14 PM
so wot about fitting it, is all info in haynes. havnt got 1 yet, is it easy to fit

Snowface
26-03-03, 06:59 PM
1.3sr cam lifts 6.0mm intake/exhaust and the 1.4sr cam lifts 6.2mm. So i read in haynes neway. Not much diff.i think 1.2 lifts 5.15mm or something.

mikeoxford
26-03-03, 10:11 PM
so wot about fitting it, is all info in haynes. havnt got 1 yet, is it easy to fit

if your swapping the WHOLE cam carrier assembly over then yes it is, otherwise i dont know how tricky it is to put a cam in the carrier

Aragorn
26-03-03, 10:40 PM
1.2i lifts summat silly like 4.5mm inlet and 5.1mm exhaust

either SR cam would make a nice improvement

just MAKE SURE the lambda probe is connected and working otherwise youll prolly lean out and melt some pistons

Shorty
27-03-03, 04:57 PM
so the full top part will cum off, what about the pully and ignition, do i leave the old one on? how do u put the timing belt on correctly?

mikeoxford
27-03-03, 11:05 PM
the top sprocket on the end of the cam shaft has a timing mark on the edge, needs to be straight upwards and aligned with the mark on the cam shaft the bottom pulley has a groove at the edge.... and theres a spike on the bottom of the engine..........

mikeoxford
27-03-03, 11:05 PM
use the ignition system u have on the car alredy............

Shorty
30-03-03, 06:45 PM
its a 1.2spi. the sr models have a fuel pump near the timing belt dont they? so i wont be able to fit the whole housing will i?

mikeoxford
30-03-03, 07:08 PM
its a 1.2spi. the sr models have a fuel pump near the timing belt dont they? so i wont be able to fit the whole housing will i?

you can do.

all you need to do is blank off where the fuel pump attaches to. very easy job.

when you remove it from the scrappy, take the metal gasket between the fuel pump and the cam shaft assembly, and either put a big bolt trhough the circular hole in the middle, or have an engineering place make you up a complete plate without the hole.

you will see what i mean when you take it all apart

mikeoxford
30-03-03, 07:10 PM
failing that email me and i could scan the gasket / metal thingy in, and you need to make a plate similar to cover the manual fuel pump hole.

i would of thought it possible you could just use the gasket, and put a bolt to blank the hole in the middle, could be wrong though and to be fair a blanking plate would look a while lot better.