PDA

View Full Version : 1L Rev counter

Plug
12-12-09, 11:30 AM
Right ive purchased some Early Sr clocks for my mk1 as i wanted a rev counter.

i know i need to run a wire from the coil to the back of the clocks which i have done.

Im guessing the wire should spade connect to the back of the clocks behind the rev counter.

On the coil i have 2 spade terminals and a round one

On one of the spades is a black with and on the round its a green wire.

So where do i connect my wire for the rev counter?

Spudly
12-12-09, 11:45 AM
Test it on the green wire that should be the one you need bud but thats just a guess as ive never done anything on a 1ltr lol

Plug
12-12-09, 11:51 AM
lol yea i know im guessing it needs to be pluged in via the 14 pin aswell to get an earth.

Just was asking as i tested it at work yesturday moving it from black wire to the green and i wasnt getting anything

AlexW
12-12-09, 12:00 PM
Your need to work out whichever is the Neg on the coil.

The back of the clocks, the live/earth should already be there and no playing needed there.

Hope that helps.

Spudly
12-12-09, 12:04 PM
No one end of the wire goes to the clocks and on to the coil, should be green at the coil and to the only one that ive left plugged in on this pic, top left corner, thats your rev counter feed terminal....

The pic is the back of some GTE clocks i have bud in case you were wondering,

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/spudly01/Random%20stuff/DSC03939.jpg

Ste L
12-12-09, 12:04 PM
check behind your dials, you may already have a green wire for the rev counter, i know i have had one on all the 1.0's i've had, both mk1(wire on its own) and mk2(this was in the multiplug)

Plug
12-12-09, 12:05 PM
yea i think at work it wasnt working cause i had the clocks in the engine bay lol

also how do i repair the copper in the back of the clocks (the wiring) 2 of the peices are loose and can prob touch

AlexW
12-12-09, 12:06 PM
Tape, if there broke solder in a new wire, or you can buy repair stuff but i found its rubbish.

Plug
12-12-09, 12:07 PM
there is no wire there already ive hunted everywhere for this. dont think rev counters where thought of when it was made lol

ill go out and have a play ina bit just cba atm and doing some reasearch for when i do

Asa-James
12-12-09, 12:08 PM
also how do i repair the copper in the back of the clocks (the wiring) 2 of the peices are loose and can prob touch

struggle lol, i've given up and bought a new circuit thingy off John, you can have my old one if you want to try and bodge it with original parts lol

AlexW
12-12-09, 12:09 PM
asa, if jimbo dont want it catch me on msn somtime.

Plug
12-12-09, 12:12 PM
im going to get some of the copper out of my other ones which i funked up the speedo on and tap abit of copper in it to repair.

ill get some photos up

brainsnova
12-12-09, 01:04 PM
the copper are just like wires so trace where they go and just link with a bit wire.

Plug
12-12-09, 01:54 PM
its all done :)

i taped it all tight and works fine.

got them in was the green wire and it works unless im ment to put it on the other side of the coil?

Does it only work on one side or both?

AlexW
12-12-09, 03:26 PM
Only on one side, one side is pos other neg. Your have it on neg for it to read :)

Plug
12-12-09, 05:09 PM
well then good 1st guess.

Just wandered as i seen in another thread some coils have a spare connection for a rev counter and mine has 2 connections on the other side the black wire.

It works on the green so thats how im going to keep it