PDA

View Full Version : what ECU?

nitrousnova
11-12-09, 09:23 PM
hello all
can any one help?, what ecu should a early 20xe run(dizzy model)!? :confused: . thinking of chipping mine, has any one done this and is worth it !? thanks

Benn
11-12-09, 09:32 PM
I've had 3chips, non are worth it.

nitrousnova
11-12-09, 09:36 PM
it says its a 12bhp gain, is this bull **** then!?

Adam
11-12-09, 09:47 PM
Lol, yeah. The ONLY benefit you may see is a raised limiter which will be handy if you are running aftermarket cams or something

Benn
11-12-09, 09:49 PM
As Ad says, they would give bugger all. 2brake maybe if your lucky.

mayhem
12-12-09, 12:34 AM
the only chip that works is a dyno written one. not some ebay thing.

scott.parker
12-12-09, 11:20 AM
Now from what i experienced chips make around 2-5bhp on a rolling road, and that looks like there not worth it...

BUT i drove my old xe with a standard ecu, and then the chipped one, and around 3.500/5000 rpm the car was much more lively and pulled allot better, so they can, and do make a difference, but as said they are not worth the money you pay for them, your better of with a re-map, or a none standard ecu mapped up to suit your modifications etc etc.

Scott

craig green
12-12-09, 11:31 AM
Only 'chip' I would use is a Courtenay grp-N one. Otherwise prepare to be gutted. NA cars dont make the power gains you want from a chipped ECU, on a turbo car, different story which is why they were developed.

scott.parker
12-12-09, 11:33 AM
Only 'chip' I would use is a Courtenay grp-N one. Otherwise prepare to be gutted. NA cars dont make the power gains you want from a chipped ECU, on a turbo car, different story which is why they were developed.

Thats what it was that i tried on mine, as i was going to buy it, but for me it was not "enough" to buy, not even 2nd hand.

Jon_nova1
13-12-09, 12:44 AM
They just put the claims out for whatever they got the most power out of

so say they got 12BHP out of a civic 1.6 (which i suspect the most gain would come from something v-tec) and that was the highest they could get out of any engine, they say upto "12BHP gain" even though yours may only gain 2BHP

Benn
13-12-09, 02:07 PM

I tried one of them from Simps, it made the car worse to drive. Didn't like low down reves, the only one i've ever thought was nice all the tip was my EDS chip reved to 7+ishk and drove nicely at all speeds and all reves.

nitrousnova
13-12-09, 07:51 PM
thanks for all the advise people, trying to get a few more ponys out of the old girl. any ideas!?

The Simps
17-12-09, 10:48 PM
When I fitted the grp n chip to my nova we done a before & after and combined with the flowed head and hi-torque cams (already fitted and part of the before test) it made an extra 5lbft across 90% of the rev range.

mayhem
18-12-09, 02:53 PM
i did a dyno run on a stock ecu (c20xe with cam's and 2.5 inch exhaust).. 135 wheel hp, after the mapping session, 148hp at the wheels..