PDA

View Full Version : Digi dash ?

LEWI007
11-12-09, 06:52 PM
Busy fitting my Digi dash, into MK1 Dash :roll:

Anyway, everything is working but the dash does not illuminate/light up.

i tried putting the yellow/white wire to the headlight switch but nothing happened, im going to buy new bulbs tomorow.

BUT, what wire is supposed to make the dash light up ? is it just the ignition positive and negative wires ?

AlexW
11-12-09, 06:53 PM
Ign live, earths, and the headlight trigger. Usualy new blubs are needed though.

LEWI007
11-12-09, 07:01 PM
So when i switch headlights on the dash should light up ?

well when the dash is NOT lit up i cant see a thing, im supposed to switch my headlights on all day to see the dash ?

it should be constantly lit up ?

brainsnova
11-12-09, 07:06 PM
it lights up when you power it up with the ignition on. so yes always illuminated. all the browns earthed and blacks live illuminate the dash.

LEWI007
11-12-09, 07:07 PM
Alright, must be the bulbs then, ill get some tomorow and see how it goes.

cheers guys.

brainsnova
11-12-09, 07:09 PM
remove the 2 bulbs and and you can probs see the break in the filiment.

LEWI007
11-12-09, 07:21 PM
Ahh i never thought of that, im not the best with electrical stuff.

If only the positive and negative wires are wired up to the car the dash should light up aye ?

cos i dont want to wire every single wire up until i know its lighting up and working properly.

brainsnova
11-12-09, 07:23 PM
yes but make sure the rest are taped so they dont touch and shining a torch in the back with show them working.

AlexW
11-12-09, 07:26 PM
Oh wtf am i talking about. Sorry yer, just needs earth and ign/perm lives.

Can be tested off a car btw

LEWI007
11-12-09, 07:33 PM
Yeah ive already had them working, just dont light up.

if after i fit new bulbs it still doesnt light up is there any other problem it can be ?

Spudly
11-12-09, 07:35 PM
yes but make sure the rest are taped so they dont touch and shining a torch in the back with show them working.

Good luck using a torch, theyre incredibly hard to light up without the correct bulbs as all of the light gets lost in the LCD panels, you will be hard pushed to find bulbs for them as theyre halogen ones and are usually only available from vauxhall, and theyre becomming very thin on the ground if there are any left in stock anywhere, theyre also about a fiver each, you need two of them.

To test your dash you can twist all the browns together and all the blacks and test on your vehicle battery, a charger (although this will pulse) or a jump pack and it should/will light up.

They light up constantly but iirc there should originally be a dimmer on the astra so it dims out when you flick your lights on, ive never discovered which wire does this though so ive never had it work:confused:

AlexW
11-12-09, 07:37 PM
Dimmer is done through the voltage iirc spud.
Blubs are easy to get from vauxhall, ive had about 10 of them in the last year.

LEWI007
11-12-09, 07:38 PM
Can i not get some bulbs on ebay ?

are these the bulbs that make the digits light up orange ?

because nothing on my dash lights up at all.

Spudly
11-12-09, 07:41 PM
They are clear bulbs that shine white light, they need to be the correct fitting which is an oddball one iirc, theyre 5v halogen i think and hard to come by now, my mate Andy had to order one from a dealership down south as nowhere within about fifty miles had them in stock and they were unwilling to order it in at first!

AlexW
11-12-09, 07:42 PM
There totaly differnt to any other type of dash blub preety much. SOME newer cars use the same type but very few.

When you get new ones dont touch the lense, same as headlight blubs.

LEWI007
11-12-09, 07:48 PM
So how come the digits in my dash dont light up orange ?

AlexW
11-12-09, 08:05 PM
Because the LCD display stuff. Nothing is pure white.

LEWI007
11-12-09, 08:08 PM
so they come on when i put bulbs in then aye..

AlexW
11-12-09, 08:10 PM
Yes.

LEWI007
11-12-09, 08:13 PM
Ok then.

Another thing ive just rememberd.

How do i change the mileage on the clocks. because they have 200 thousand odd miles on and i want to put the original mileage on them.

brainsnova
11-12-09, 08:20 PM
open up the clocks and its straight forward but im not sure if its legal. a torch worked in mine, im not saying it was amazing but i could see it was powered up.

LEWI007
11-12-09, 08:23 PM
Ahh ill give it a go then, hope i dont break them.