PDA

View Full Version : Uprated Ignition Coils

mad-driver
10-12-09, 03:51 PM
Hi everyone

After being advised by H&H distributors, and a friend who builds race engines, i have bought an uprated MSD Blaster 2 coil. I am a bit confused as to whether i need a ballast resistor, as the instructions say with a points style, or other stock/standard distributor, you should use a ballast resistor. I have, however, been told that i do not need one, as the standard Bosch distributor is an electronic one, and not a points style type, and using it without one will give better performance.

Any ideas to clarify? I don't want to harm anything, but i'm getting conflicting info.

Sam

Adam
10-12-09, 03:53 PM
YOur dizzy is electronic yep.
Do the instrutions say you dont need a ballast resistor wire for a electronic dizzy??

Its only 1Ltr novas that had a resistor wire to the coil

mad-driver
10-12-09, 03:59 PM
All it says Ad, is that you need a resistor on a standard point/stock distributor, but it also says if it doesn't have one as standard then it may not be needed???

It is from the USA which may explain why it doesn't make a lot of sense lol.

Jon_nova1
10-12-09, 04:17 PM
Don't bother fitting one, if it needs one your spark plugs will burn out over time, then when you come to service it see what they're like

mad-driver
10-12-09, 06:31 PM
Ok thanks for the advice, will give it a go

Sam

mad-driver
10-12-09, 10:14 PM
Bugger! The new coil has a female connector, meaning the standard HT lead won't fit. Anybody know of any compatible HT leads that have male fittings?

Nobby
10-12-09, 10:20 PM
Have you tried HH mate? i assuming they would have the leads to fit? They were brilliant with my dizzy setup couldnt help me enough .